LCVG

No PS3 until 2006?

The Daisy

Good. The longer the better if you ask me. It amazes me how concerned people are with the next generation of consoles (not you Glenn just in general) when developers are only now getting a really solid grasp of what these current machines can do.

The Playstation 2, even with its limited ram and difficult development curve, has really been coming into its own visually in the last year with some impressive stuff like Ratchet and Clank Going Commando, Jak II, Dark Cloud 2, Silent Hill 3 and more. I'm consistently impressed with what developers have been able to do with what so many consider to be "limited" hardware (a statement that personally rubs me the wrong way). Take into a account a library that still

The Xbox is in much the same boat with a good number of impressive titles due. Stuff like True Fantasty Live Online which will open up the MMO genre on Xbox live (much like FFXI will have the same effect on the PS2). Speaking of Xbox Live, the rumored XBL 3.0 and XBL in general has no where to go but up if MS can keep up with good quality titles. Splinter Cell Pandora Tommorrow's online mode looks unique. Fable is due out (Xbox 2 launch title folks! ;) ). The monstrous Halo 2.

The Gamecube hardware is still being explored. Metroid Prime 2 is due out this year and I'm sure Retro will deliver. We haven't heard anything about the latest titles Nintendo has planned. We know a new Zelda is on the horizon using the same cel-shaded art style. Mario 128 has been rumored for months (E3?). Resident Evil 4 looks to be pushing the system through the roof graphically.

To put it simply I have enough to look forward too and think about right now without having to worry about whats coming next gen! ;)

I totally agree Romier. I remember when Gran Turismo came out on the PSX, after like 3 or 4 years, they said they were only able to use about 60-70 percent of the potential of the system.

It takes a while for people to write code in the most efficient way and to learn all of the "tricks" of the hardware.

I'm all for waiting until 2006. I'm sure MS will try to jump ahead of Sony if they do wait until '06 though.

Glen

I agree with your points guys, and I think Sony and MS both would perfer much the same, but I think they will get caught in a game of 'who blinks first.' Basically I think they both must assume that the launch of this last generation was not a fluke, and therefore who ever launches first should get a nice benefit from the jump. Although I'm not sure a MS or first launch would help MS beat Sony, I'm sure it would certainly help MS.

The X factor is Nintendo, as they don't seem to play 'Follow the leader', but what they do does end up affecting the other two companies.

As right as you all are I disagree on the basis that there is NOTHING more fun than watching all the planning and posturing that goes in to new console launches. I know it sucks to drop another $300 on a new one and I know there's a lot of life left in the current gen -but I look forward to new hardware announcements like nothing else.

I want it to happen tomorrow. :)

NOTHING more fun than watching all the planning and posturing that goes in to new console launches.

Oh I agree. In fact I'd go as far as to say there is nothing more exciting or fun as LAUNCH DAY! and playing a new console for the first time. Hell I live for it. I can however wait for it a REALLY long time ;).

They should wait. There is so much left undone int he current generation they should take there time on all fronts. In microsofts case, get all the live stuff up and fixed. Get things running smoothly in time for the next gen launch. To compete from the start

capt

I'm in agreement with y'all on this. While the anticipation of a new launch day is always exciting, the systems we have now are just hitting their stride.

There are still games from last year I've yet to crack open - Prince of Persia and Otogi, for starters - so I'm in no rush to drop $$$ on 3 more new systems and their launch games.

I've had a lot of fun with this generation of systems, from the Dreamcast and on. Perhaps the most fun I've had since the days of the SNES. And with Halo 2 on the way, Resident Evil 4, and other big titles, I'm sure there'll be no shortage of must-play games between now and 2006.

Like everyone else, I dislike the sudden urge to have a follow up console ready in what feels so soon after its predecessor.... Of course, news of such developments will keep LCVG running (alongside replication of patented LCVG peanut butter... :) )

Of course, chances are like the PS2, there may be little to make the PS3 worth buying upon its immediate launch. I left it a year before I bought a PlayStation 2. There are impulsive buyers amongst us who willl snap it up on day one. That's fine, but I think we're really going into some great terriroty with the PS2 right now and over the next eighteen to twenty-four months. History should repeat itself in terms of what state the original PS was in back when the follow up launched.

Daniel

Originally posted by JTello@Jan 28 2004, 06:48 PM

I think they both must assume that the launch of this last generation was not a fluke, and therefore who ever launches first should get a nice benefit from the jump.

One word:

Dreamcast.

If I were Microsoft, I'd far rather launch against the reality of PS3 (say 3 months after it, when there aren't many killer games yet) than the hype of it.