LCVG

Metal Arms Vs. Ratchet & Clank 2?

FLYING SE7EN

I've been playing the recent demo of R&C2 and I really like it, I also really liked the MA:GITS demo. So the question is to those of you who have played both. Which one did you like best and why?

The thing I liked best about R&C is the wide variety of non-gun weapons/gadgets like the satelite robots that follow you and lay fire on your enemies.

I'm leaning towards MA, just because the PS2 usually stays upstairs and I'd have to bring it down and up and down and up....

Cheers.

J.

If you're playing both demos on the PS2, buy R&C2. Metal Arms isn't that good on PS2 graphically, at least compared to the Xbox and Gamecube versions.

I don't think you'd go wrong with either game, as they both fantastic. I tend to lean towards Metal Arms though, only because it's a fantastic game that been overlooked by a lot of people.

Hmm, thats a hard one. I think Ratchet and Clank offer a more variety filled adventure. There are space shooting levels, racing, platforming and much more. I recently bought Ratchet and Clank Going Commando in my last trip to Scotts house and I've been playing it regulary (in between play sessions of Baldurs Gate II).. Its also got a good brand of comedy and well, its an amazing adventure (enough to win several PS2 Game of the Year awars and they are well deserved from what I've played).

At the same time Metal Arms is more of a straight forward shooter that employs strategy. Its longevity lies in Glitchs' ability to control robots and it also has /some/ of the variety R&C offers but in terms of outright shooter action MA wins hands down. It also excels in the comedy department with somes seriously funny dialogue.

Both are stellar and you can't go wrong either way (hell I honestly couldn't make that decision. I go with the "both" option alot ;) ). Ratchet goes for around 39.99 and MA just got a price drop to 29.99. Also in case you didn't see it already you can win a free copy of BG&E from LCVG here if you by MA on or after Feb. 1st.:

The Catch a Glitch on LCVG Giveaway.

I'm sure J-FO will be making an appearance in this thread soon. Both games are big on his list 8)

Originally posted by FutureVoid@Jan 27 2004, 06:11 PM

I'm sure J-FO will be making an appearance in this thread soon. Both games are big on his list 8)

Damn straight! And here I am, ready to chime in!

In all honesty, this decision comes down to what kind of game you like more. Are you an avid fan of platformers or do you yearn more for a good action shooter (ala Halo)? If it's the former, you should pick up Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando. If you want a good shooter, get Metal Arms.

If I had to pick just one of these titles though, I would go with Going Commando. I'm a huge fan of the platformer genre, and admired the original beyond resonable comprehension. That said, the sequel does all the stuff the first Ratchet game did and does it better. Not only do I think that its the better of the two choices, but I think it's the best game I played in 2003. The graphics are better (and presented in 480p and 16:9 to boot), the sound is more active, the weapons are more numerous and powerful, there's a higher degree of customization for your weapons and your character, and it's all around just a tremendously fun game.

Still, I have great deal of admiration for Metal Arms (as some of you may have noticed). This game came literally from nowhere and from a company that has never made a one before. Still, it has a level of polish that you would probably expect from the best of developers. You can tell that its a game that those who made it love to play too. When you do get a chance, pick it up and play it. You won't regret the purchase.