LCVG

EA 2004 Forecast

Guest Bryan

An interesting read which touches on a $129 price for PS2 and Xbox, PSP dates and prices and expected sales growth of EA titles for the big three consoles.

EA Story

Didn't see it here, sorry if this has already been posted.

Meh....I see consoles dropping to $149 before $129. EA said that they expected the consoles to drop to $149 last May and instead they dropped to $179.

Also, I think EA is putting too much stock in the PSP. I don't think it will be as big as everyone thinks....especially if those games are rehashes of PS1/PS2 games

especially if those games are rehashes of PS1/PS2 games

You mean like the SNES rehashes that make up a good part of the GBA lineup? (not saying its a bad thing either but making a point).

Price is the main concern with the PSP right now IMHO. Will Sony get it in at an affordable price point? (199.99 would be a perfect balance though Im sticking with my 249.99-299.99 prediction.) If its too pricey I think Sony will have a difficult time breaking through to the mainstream but even then I've learned to never underestimate the marketing prowess of Sony or the brand power of the Playstation name.

the main difference with the old SNES/NES ports for GBA's is that they are older and were most likely unplayed by many people such as myself. I never had a NES/SNES when I was a kid, so I love all these old ports to GBA.

However, PS1 really took videogames mainstream. Many more people had PS1's in the world. Chances are many of the people who are getting PSPs already had a PS1.....the point is those rehashes won't be as new to people as I think the NES/SNES ones were to the GBA community. Anyway....I understand where you're coming from.

I agree price is a key factor. Not only for the hardware but for the software. I'm upset that games for it would cost $40....that's too much IMO for a portable. I hate spending $30 on new GBA games.

If I were Nintendo, Sony, & Microsoft I wouldn't care much for EA speculating about my business plans. EA did the same thing last year and I was shocked that none of the console companies had any public comment. I'd attack EA for making such presumptions.

I just see this as another sign of EA's arrogance.

I just see this as another sign of EA's arrogance.

I'd say it's fairly common for the big publishers to make those kind of predictions in their quarterly/yearly reports. I know Midway & Acclaim certainly have before. Their business is drastically affected by price cuts of hardware, so I can understand why investors in the particular company want to know if the company is expecting price cuts.