LCVG

New Thief 3 screenshots (Xbox, PC)

Romier S

Here are the screenshots for you guys:

thief3_027.jpg

thief3_029.jpg

thief3_031.jpg

There are more available but I figured you Thief fans would want a look. For those not "in the know" Ion Storm recently revealed that a third person perspective had been implemented into the game. Keep in mind the game is running on the same technology as DX2 Invisible War. You can read about it here:

Thief 3 gets third person perspective

One facet of the game, still in development at Ion Storm, was news today. The game will support what publisher Eidos is calling a "third-person cinematic action view."

Thanks, Romier. With Thief I and II being my two favorite games, this is naturally my most anticipated upcoming release. The reception given to Deus Ex 2 makes me worry about the potential problems for Thief III, but something tells me its creators are putting enough effort into it to make something special, if not flawless.

It'll be interesting to see how the optional 3rd person view pans out. There's a lot of bitching over on the TTLG Forums from the PC purists about the "consolification" of the game, but being a fan of 3rd person and console games, I say fuck 'em. I'm thrilled about this feauture (if it doesn't work, one can switch back to the tried and true 1st person view) and about the ability to play the game on my Box and 36" Wega rather than on an anti-gaming-intuitive keyboard/mouse setup.

Sigh.

Thief was fine the way it was. I don't want to sound like old Grandad in his rocking chair, but I don't want Splinter Cell: Medieval Yesterday, I want freakin' Thief. With Garrett. First-person. Being a sneaky bastard.

Not every series requires reinvention of the wheel. There are LOADS of ways that Thief could be oomphed up that do not require third-person at all.

And I am probably in the whiny minority on that one. But it really does remind me of SC now, and not really in a good way. I am glad consoles are taking off, but I hate feeling like some series are getting over-simplified for the mass market.

an anti-gaming-intuitive keyboard/mouse setup.

Whoa, disagree with that right there. I'll take keyboard/mouse over a joystick any day of the week for anything. When I can map out my jump/crouch and set up the arrow keys properly I can fly through an FPS. Having to aim with analog sticks is, to me, utterly cumbersome and makes me feel less like, say, a Robin Hood-class archer and more like a drunk kid in a high school gym class.

So for me, console FPS gaming is the most unintuitive thing ever. I very, very rarely play them myself.

rather than on an anti-gaming-intuitive keyboard/mouse setup.

Well I wouldn't go that far db. Remember preferences are ok but I'm sure there are a myriad of PC folks that would say the opposite about the mouse and keyboard, especially when concerning games of the first person variety ;) . Nothing anti-gaming about that.

With that lets keep the discussion where it should be folks, on Thief 3 and especially the inclusion of the third person perspective.

Optional.

Exactly. Many other FPS games function quite fine without it, and I'd argue that the time spent making this dynamic cinematic third-person mode could have been better spent in increasing the game's content proper. That content may be golden right now, don't get me wrong, but a little more never hurts, no?

Originally posted by FutureVoid@Jan 28 2004, 05:50 PM

... Remember preferences are ok but I'm sure there are a myriad of PC folks that would say the opposite about the mouse and keyboard, especially when concerning games of the first person variety ;) . Nothing anti-gaming about that.

Right, I meant that it's anti-intuitive for me. There's no point in debating this, since there are countless numbers of PC gamers who do prefer a keyboard/mouse setup and it'd be petty and pointless to argue that anyone's preference of gaming style is wrong. This dev team has put forth the effort to accomodate each preference, and I appreciate that and don't see it as any kind of dilution or pandering.

If the 3rd person view option is poorly implemented, I'll be the first person here to complain about it, but there's no inherent reason why it, or the use of a controller on the Box, can't work.

If the 3rd person view option is poorly implemented, I'll be the first person here to complain about it, but there's no inherent reason why it, or the use of a controller on the Box, can't work

That I agree with db. I'm not all that opposed to the third person view myself. Being that it is indeed optional. I can also see Marks point of view in terms of content and wanting more in that department instead of something that was really never *necessary* to what made Thief so unique. In fact that an interesting thing to dwell on, what exactly did make Thief so unique? Its stealth gameplay of course but the fact that Looking Glass was able to pull it off in first person and make it compelling says something about the quality of the series and why many "old man" may be a little grumpy with the optional third person view (just trying to bridge the generation gap here folks :lmfao: ).

To be honest I'm more concerned with the use of the DX2 engine (and its horrible performance) above anything else as well as a little frightened that Ion Storm may be making a few too many comprimises in the gameplay department (I really have no basis to go off of on the gameplay comment besides my complete disappointment in what they produced with DX2 and the "compromises" made for that sequel). I'm truly hoping that theory proves false and Ion Storm comes through with this one. A kick ass new Thief game would be a great way to start 2004.

what exactly did make Thief so unique?

It was a thieving simulator that worked :P.

Also, Thief has some of the best open-ended gameplay around, depending on the mission and difficulty. Yeah, you have to use stealth, but the way you and I accomplish any given task may be very different. Some people like to use a lot of noisemaker arrows and sound, others prefer gas arrows, the next person might shoot a rope arrow, scale to the roof, and keep on trucking.

Thief doesn't feel like a puzzle game, or a game where you're faced with a maze to get through. When you're robbing a guy's house, you feel like you're in a guy's house. If I'm busting up a cathedral or tracking down a fence in a prison, both those places are realized. To me, Thief does a great job making you feel like you're in a world, to an extent a lot of games do not.

The immersion factor = good game.

I bought Thief the day it came out after a preview from the, now unfortunately defunct, (moment of silence please) NextGen Magazine, after they said that if you could only buy one game this year, buy Half Life; if you can buy 2, get Thief as well.

So, I got 'em both!

Die hard Thief fan since...

Not quite as "die hard" as some of those goofy nuts on the ttlg forums but, love the series, nevertheless.

For me, the fantastic atmosphere really pulled me in. The city and the levels just oozed with it. And, again..for me, the tension of waiting motionless, not making the slightest sound, waiting for that guard carrying his brain bashing hammer, to go by, is FAR more stressful than any wacky action packed fps I've ever played.

And, like many Thief fans, I'm VERRRRRRRY worried about Warren Spector and co. I thought Dues Ex II was lame. I played it all the way through but, I really didn't enjoy myself. Their very poor implementation of that game engine was dreadful.

Yeah, killer bump mapping and the Havok II physics engine is great but, that frame rate!!! UGH!!!!!

Weapons were lame too...

The videos of Thief III, so far, have looked pretty good. Haven't noticed any bad framerates but, I don't know if they were pc vids or Xbox. Supposedly it's a different team and, they aren't allowing Thief III to be put to market rather unfinished...ala Deus Ex II.

We'll just have to wait and see. Ion Storm doesn't have much of a pedigree, do they? Diakatana, Anachronox, Deus Ex II...all of them forgettable.

That's a good observation about Thief's unique atmosphere, Derrik. Another special thing about the series is its (sometimes subtle) sense of humor. For example, there's a bit in "The Life of the Party" level of Thief II when Garrett overhears a couple at home whining that they didn't get invited to the party, then once he's in the mansion where the party's being held, he stumbles across the register of the name of all those to whom invites were sent and what they're responses were, and the couple in question seem to have simply had their invitation lost in the post. It's moments like that that reveal the detail and effort put into the series.

While Thief III is using the same engine as Deus Ex 2, it's my understanding that Thief's production began first and there have been no apparent attempts to have it rushed to completion in order to meet some deadline. It's also my understanding that it is in fact a different team working on it, one that includes many members of the original Looking Glass crew, which bodes well for it running better than DX2 and it retaining the spirit and atmosphere of the other Thief games.

There's no way of knowing yet if it'll be as good as the first two games, but I'm confident it'll be one of this year's best.

• 3 months later...

Waaaait, did Penny Arcade link to a serious preview from a big old Thief fansite that goes way, way, way in-depth on things? Yes, they did!

Preview from Thief: The Circle

Huge, chunky good bits of information.

Some disappointments though, I have to say that I'm really kind of bummed about them not being able to get the rope arrows to work. They were one of my favorite little gadgets in the first and second games, as I like to avoid the guards by shooting to the roof, grabbing my arrow, then disappearing into whatever building I'm dogging ;).

The rest sounds pretty neat, though the third-person view is about as much of a cheat enabler as I would have figured, but I'm glad to hear that the game doesn't suffer for being played in first-person.

I cross my fingers in hope this comes out okay.

I am a huge fan of the Thief series. I'm really hoping this sequel is as good as the preview makes it sound. After reading dans preview I became much more excited for the game and it became an instand must buy. I had my reservations prior to the preview. I thought it had a good chance of becoming a mediocre game at best and losing the "magic" that the prior Thief games have (much like how Deus Ex: IW was a letdown from the original game). I'm looking forward to playing Thief 3. Time to start sharpening my arrow heads.

GameSpot has posted their review. 8.3/10

Overall it was a positive review, but it seems like the game could have used another month or two to polish it up.

The gameplay sounds great though, even more open-ended then previous Thief games. I will definitely be picking it up tomorrow (if I can find a copy)!

Edit: 8.3 from IGN as well. Review.

GameSpot is teh bias!! err wait...

Guys did it ever occur to you that just maybe we have reached the limit of the Xbox hardware? I mean these games have more complex AI, sound, lighting, etc than most games. These things can't be overlooked because they take up ALOT of resources. I dunno. Just a thought.

I admit I have no experience with the new Deus Ex or its engine, but from most accounts it (the engine) is not all that fantastic. I'll give Thief 3 a shot eventually just because I'd like to see a fourth game made with proper engine behind it ;).

Ugh, I really don't like that carryover equipment thing. I'm a huge packrat myself for games like this and I really liked the fact that you had no carryover equipment from mission to mission because it really let you play loose with your gear to try and take care of a problem. I'm far less inclined to use items when I know they can be saved for a later situation that might never arrive.

Sorry, just reading the review and commenting as I go. As I figured, the loss of the rope arrows is just a total shame and it sounds like the replacement isn't so hot. Bugger. Well, hopefully I'll get to play it and see what I think for myself eventually :).

Guys did it ever occur to you that just maybe we have reached the limit of the Xbox hardware? I mean these games have more complex AI, sound, lighting, etc than most games.

Sure and thats important to keep in mind that these are very complex games however the DX2 engine was problematic on the Xbox and downright inexcuseable on the PC (It took two patches, numerous user tweaks for the game to show a semblance of playability).

I am however hearing that Thief Dark Shadows is a good improvement on the engine and a far better game overall so I look forward to diving in (bought it today on the PC).