LCVG

City of Heroes

Tonner Cyn

With all the excitement surrounding the coming WoW beta, I just wanted to remind people that this one has already started. For those of you not familiar with it, CoH is a MMORPG that allows you to play as a superhero.

Right off, I'll let you know that you cannot play as a villain and there is no PvP; these are features they are looking at for sometime down the road.

The NDA is in full effect so there isn't a lot of specific information out there. This is what I do know. You should be allowed multiple character slots, perhaps as many as 8. There is a level cap of 40. You select your character's origin (mutant, natural, magical, etc) and power archetype (blaster, tank, defender, etc). This will determine your hit points and what powers you have available to you. Each archetype is broken into a primary and secondary power category. You will get to select one of each at creation and get more choices as you level. Also, there is something called a power pool that you will get to choose from at various levels; this is how you might add flight to your character for instance.

After selecting your powers, you get to create your character. This is supposed to be an area in which the game shines. Only 3 basic body types, but the number of options is supposed to be very high. I heard something about being able to have multiple costumes and even team insignias but I don't know if that will make it in the final release.

Ok, I probably have sounded pretty enthusiastic about the game, and I am. But, I can be objective about it. Here are some concerns:

- no crafting system: I take this to mean that all there is to do is level your character. Don't get me wrong, depending on some other things in the game, this could be fine. Still, the danger exists for this to end up just a treadmill game, in which case it will be fun at first but lose its appeal quickly.

- limited loot: It seems there's really only two things you come across in the game. Inspirations are things you use in combat to increase your damage or raise your hit points. Enhancements are things you can permanently add to your power to increase range, increase damage, etc. As you level you can add enhancement slots to powers and you can try to combine enhancements at some point, but I'm not sure this will really be enough to satisfy people.

How can they fight this? CONTENT CONTENT CONTENT. Using the superhero genre they can try to do a ton of things to provide a very satisfying storyline. I'm kind of picturing something like Asheron's Call, where how the players reacted to certain events affected how future events would play out. Now, I thought Romier would be jumping on this because he is a self-processed MMORPG junkie (no offense :)), but I guess he's not all that interested. Still, I hope he and the rest of you give it a shot when it does come out. I'll be keeping an eye on it as well and sharing information as I get it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bumpity bump bump bump!

There's a huge preview blow-out on Gamespy for the next couple of days for this title, and I have to admit it sounds fun, despite my 'meh' stance towards all MMORPGs in general.

Then again, it'll never run on this computer, so I'm not worried about getting caught up in it ;).

Yes, if you pre-order the game from EB, Best Buy, Fry's, or various other retailers you get to register for entry into the beta. From what I understand they have not yet invited any of those pre-order registrants though they have recently added a large number of testers from their usual pool. Also, depending on where you pre-order from, one of the inherent powers you have will be called something different and have different graphics/visuals. They just recently posted their last designer diary and it sounds like they feel they are very close to going live. I think April would be an optimistic projection but I do think we'll be busting villains by the end of June at the latest.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, I got the email stating the NDA has been lifted so I'll throw some stuff out there. It's a little late so I'll come back sometime tomorrow to add to it.

First, let me say that I have already pre-ordered the game and am looking forward to it. I've wanted a good superhero game for the PC and I think this is it (no dissing Freedom Force, but I had a hard time getting into the RTS).

The thing that will in all likelihood get praise from everyone is the character creation process. There are a ton of options to design the look of your character and most of them are actually pretty cool. The number of powers available is maybe a little smaller than I would have liked to see, but that can (and supposedly will) be easily changed after launch.

So, the creation process is good, but what about the gameplay? Well, to be honest, there isn't much there. You go out, defeat enemies, and try to get enhancements to upgrade your powers. Taking missions that generate an instanced location for you or your party is probably the best way to go because you won't have to deal with other players going after your kills. As I've gotten a little more playtime in lately, getting enhancements is definitely very important to keeping your character viable. Fortunately, if you can't find the right items from your enemies, you can spend influence to get them from a store.

I have not yet played on a team or a supergroup. From a solo perspective, I can say that levels 1-10, while challenging at times, can be done on your own. Sadly, even though I have been in beta since day 1 or 2, I have not had much time to put into it and only have a level 10 and a level 9 character to show (they did do one wipe, but that was early on).

I'm looking forward to this game and hopefully some friends will pick it up which will help me feel more comfortable with the team setting. I do think there will be a lot of gamers at first, but I'm not sure there will be enough there to keep them around.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got done with the beta and I have to say right off the bat , I was wrong. I know it supposedly takes a certain something to admit that but in this case its real easy. City of Heroes is fantastic. One of best MMO's I've played in a really long time. You'll sit in the character creation screen for at least an hour because of how many options there are in creating your superhero. I only played the beta for a few days but in my time I never saw a single avatar that looked remotely like another (theres that much variety). Heres some info to consider...

The game revolves around of course leveling up your superhero by fighting crime. You can simply move around the city and kill thugs that are committing purse snatching crimes etc. Paragon City is not a nice place to live since this happens on every corner but its how the content works and its pretty fun to guerilla your way around the streets taking care of business. The best part about the game is how story driven it is. If you don't want to fuss about with simply killing there are missions that you are sent on by your hero organization (detemined by what origin you choose). These missions are pretty static and anyone thats played Anarchy Online will recognize this type of "instanced" content. They involve the same type of kill enemies and collect item gameplay but I always wanted to see what happened next and you're always rewarded for you effort. There are also team missions that you can do with a group that takes this stuff to a whole different level but I was only able to do one or two in beta and they were harrowing (ie hard).

You can upgrade your powers every few levels by either choosing new ones or ehancing the ones you have. Each power has "enhancement" slots which you can place modules into. Enemies drop these "enhancement" modules which range from "Fast recharge" to "Damage up". You simply drag and drop them in place and your character gets the benefits. As you gain levels you can add more ehancement slots to each power allowing you place 3-4 enhancements at a time to a given power. Really allows for some great flexibility in developing your character. You can also fins "Influence" modules which act as mini-buffs. They are dropped occasionally by enemies or you can buy them in stores. They can rage from recovering HP to defense buffs to power buffs etc.. You simply click on them to use them.

Influence is also important as each time you save a civilian they give you a certain amount of influence points (which is the games currency). You can then use those points to buy more powerful enhancement and influence modules.

When you reach level 6 you are allowed to choose a new power pool which allows even more possibilities. I chose the flight pool which granted my character the ability to hoover (you don't actually get the full power of flight until level 16). You get access to further pools and you gain levels later in the game as well.

Combat is handled a bit differently than most MMO's. You still only hit a button to engage combat. You however have to use your powers and to do so you must hit the icons in your power bar (or the corresponding hotkey). You can string these hotkeys to create combinations and as you get more powers you can create longer strings. Its very interactive which I like quite a bit as it doesnt allow you to simply click a button and forget about what you are doing (like so many other games in the genre).

As far as graphics and sound the engine was still unoptimized during beta but damn if it didn't run smooth. Had no framerate problems and COH looks great. Audio is good as well with some cheesy little superhero sound effects and music giving it a very golden age comic book touch.

Real easy equation to figure out here, I'm buying it. It went from a game I had no interest in to one Im really excited to get my hands on (pre-order folks get a 3 day head start on retail folks too ;) ). I can't wait for the villain expansion pack!

Here are some screens of superhero:

http://www.lcvg.com/coh.jpg

http://www.lcvg.com/coh1.jpg

http://www.lcvg.com/coh2.jpg

http://www.lcvg.com/coh3.jpg

...and just in case the beta didnt already solidify my purchase from IGN:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/508/508737p1.html

Villains=THERE!

A post about City of Villains from one of the games producers:

I'm travelling right now, so no time for a big update, but just as a quickie from a glance at the boards - City of Villains will have PvP but it will NOT force PvP on everyone as a free-for-all. If you want to be a hero who never once sees a player villain, that's perfectly possible. Jack will probably have some more details later.

For other details, ya gotta wait for E3 Thanks again for the beta fun, all -

-jg

Jeremy Gaffney

Executive Producer, 3rd Party

NCsoft

Even better is having it optional. I like the idea of optional PvP because frankly most PvPers can be kind of assholish at times. I am all about the choice. Shame I am not yet all about the new computer. :P

Anybody have winning lotto tickets to give me?

Oh, and Romier, you should give us some more juice on your character and his look, powers, etc :). I like living vicariously.

you should give us some more juice on your character and his look, powers, etc

Character Name: Drake Darko

Origin: Mutant Born

Powers: Skilled with Melee combat and uses a Broad Sword as his primary weapon. Drake has super strength and the ability to hover. Currently working on his telepathy powers. When the game launches I may go for a more "blaster" oriented character. I usually play melee characters in MMO's and I'd like to take a break from being a tank.

This is not a bad thing Chris:).

Currently part of the three day headstart. Got my new character to level 8 last night. I-LOVE-THIS-GAME. Best MMO in a really really really long time. I'll post some screenies of Evo-Zero (my new hero..EEEEEE! I am poet :lol: )

Well picked up my City of Heroes preorder. Currently a level 8 Blaster in Atlas Park on Virtue (server name). Feel free to contact me when you get in game, I should be level 10 by then so I'll be able to add you as my "sidekick" which will boost your power and allow you to play alongside me without worrying about level difference. ;)

Ok, is this a good MMORPG that you can play by yourself?

Thats one of the biggest pluses to it IMHO Glen. This game lends itself really well to hopping on for an hour or two by yourself and completing a few mission etc.. Its real easy to get a sense of accomplishment without having to login for hours at a time. Also the sidekick system I mentioned above really takes out the possibility of having to play catch up with your friends. It lets you play together no matter what level. Plus you can play with us :tu: .

Plus you can play with us

Despite that, this is the first MMORPG that has my interest :green:.

I like that it doesn't bother trying to be too fluffy: this game's about super-hero brawling, period. I respect that kind of streamlined design, and hell, I'm a huge superhero fan, so bring it on, says me.