LCVG

Prince of Persia sells poorly

AnthonyVolpe

Much like movie studios, why do game publishers insist on flooding the market at certain times of the year? At least with movies it's only ten bucks (@#%!*), but having to spend $50 per game severely limits your gaming budget. Not only that, but Ubisoft releases Prince of Persia and BG&E at the same time, effectively competing against themselves. I think it's especially poor thinking to do it during the holidays, as I don't think most parents buy multiple game gifts (have to leave some room for that itchy sweater). If Ubisoft had released BG&E this month, they'd probably have a hit on their hands.

If I had the money to do so I would run out right now and pick up Metal Arms, Beyond Good & Evil and Prince of Persia. I'm especially interested in PoP since I heard that a member of The Tea Party composed the soundtrack. The problem is that I have little to no budget for games now (I used the remains of my Xbox fund on Crimson Skies) and what money I do spend on gaming tends to go to Live-enabled games.

It will be interesting to see how Colin McRae 4 fares with a pricepoint of $20. From the looks of the thread here in the Xbox forum, a number of people plan to buy it mainly because the price is so low.

I wonder if the standard $50 pricepoint needs to be rethought? CMR4 is kind of a special case because it's really a game designed for Europe, that's almost certainly where it will get the bulk of sales. But I still wonder how many more games would sell in massive numbers at $20 or $30, and just how many more would need to sell to make up the price difference....

Originally posted by FreakTornado@Jan 31 2004, 12:52 PM

It will be interesting to see how Colin McRae 4 fares with a pricepoint of $20. From the looks of the thread here in the Xbox forum, a number of people plan to buy it mainly because the price is so low.

I wonder if the standard $50 pricepoint needs to be rethought? CMR4 is kind of a special case because it's really a game designed for Europe, that's almost certainly where it will get the bulk of sales. But I still wonder how many more games would sell in massive numbers at $20 or $30, and just how many more would need to sell to make up the price difference....

i know i never would have bought sly cooper if it didn't have a $40 price point, sure whats $10???? thats a large pizza and a two liter of dr.pepper in these parts.

I would love to see publishers drop the standard price on games. To use my situation as an example:

I bugdet myself $25 per month for hobby spending. If I want to pick up a new release I have to save for two months to afford it. Should titles drop into the $30 range I can now pick up one game per month instead of every other month.

I don't think I'm alone in this. We're so used to the $50 price tag that when we see a game for $20 we're a little less cautious about getting burned on a bad title. While this may lead to a library full of mediocre titles it often turns up some real gems as well.

Here's some throwaway console numbers, in a style ripped from a recent Qt3 thread.

50 (retail price)

-15 (retail markup at 25%)

-12 (cost of goods + licence fee)

-2 (advertising)

-3 (other fees - distribution etc)

------

18 (net receipts)

Here's the same game at a RRP of $20

20 (budget retail price)

-5 (retail markup at 25%)

-7 (cogs) (rough - I'm not sure of the fees on a budget console game)

-2 (advertising)

-2 (other fees - distribution etc)

------

4 (net receipts)

In the UK, a couple of Christmases ago, there was a campaign run by a loudmouth journo called "Fairplay" that tried to get prices reduced by making everyone in teh chain take a smaller percentage.

As Brian pointed out elsewhere, I am a cheap bastard. That doesn't mean I don't spend money like water, just ask my wife. But I hate spending $50 for any *one* thing. I know parents (and wives) balk at that price. Release Prince of Persia and Beyond Good & Evil at $30 and I would have picked them both up that first day. So, Ubisoft didn't merely lose $30 by dropping BG&E's price to $20, they lost $40. Sell twice the games at half the price is my uninformed thinking. Sure the profit is the same, but you know that your game is popular and enjoyable and might warrant a sequel.

As Ed and blackcalx mentioned, a $20 game is pretty much a done deal, unless it really sucks. Hell, I just picked up Whiplash (a game dogbert panned), simply because I could get it for $10.

I also think that it would be interesting to see what would happen if publishers didn't flood the market from the end of October until mid-December with a ton of titles.

As has been pointed out, when there are 3-4 good, solid titles coming out PER WEEK it's very difficult to afford them all. Not only from a monetary standpoint, but from a time standpoint as well. Like many other cats here, I've got a stack of unfinished games to play already, I don't need to keep adding more to the pile.

My own purchasing plan is to buy the titles that I really want on release day on release day provided I can afford it. Ninja Gaiden, Champions of Norrath, Halo 2, those will all be release-day purchases.

But Metal Arms, Beyond Good + Evil, etc. are titles I wait for price drops, or even more common to pick up used. I buy a lot of games used, and even if it's only a 10-15 dollar savings it adds up. But, the sales of used games are not counted and the publisher gets no money from them. (CD companies tried to argue that they should a while ago and lost in court - I don't remember the name of the case, though.)

Not only that, but Ubisoft releases Prince of Persia and BG&E at the same time, effectively competing against themselves. I think it's especially poor thinking to do it during the holidays, as I don't think most parents buy multiple game gifts (have to leave some room for that itchy sweater).

I think the intent here was to release a couple of big games at the same time with the hope that if one didn't sell great, the other one would pick up the slack. You know, don't put all your eggs in one basket and all that. The problem is that everyone is putting their eggs in the basket at the same time and there aren't enough hungry people who want all those eggs.

If Ubisoft had released BG&E this month, they'd probably have a hit on their hands.

I tend to agree with that.

I think whomever(at Ubisoft) decides what day a title is to be released needs to be fired ;)

Just poor timing i'm willing to believe..

Oh an Kelly..

i know i never would have bought sly cooper if it didn't have a $40 price point, sure whats $10???? thats a large pizza and a two liter of dr.pepper in these parts.

Yeah at a shit pizza restaurant or Mazzios. Me and you need to go to Mario's and that will change quite quickly. Yeah a large pizza is $13-$14 but there is nothing better than that in Tulsa.

Me and you need to go to Mario's and that will change quite quickly. Yeah a large pizza is $13-$14 but there is nothing better than that in Tulsa.

I love marios, although I haven't been there in atleast 3 years. you give me a date and time and I'll be there :)

Originally posted by blackcalx@Jan 31 2004, 01:44 PM

If I had the money to do so I would run out right now and pick up Metal Arms, Beyond Good & Evil and Prince of Persia. I'm especially interested in PoP since I heard that a member of The Tea Party composed the soundtrack.

He did, and the soundtrack is excellent.

Also - the retail price of Metal Arms dropped to $29.99.

PoP is another game,like Metal Arms, that can wait until the price drop.

There is a big-time glut of games on the market today.

With sales,closeouts,stores closing, & the interent marketplace - there is way too many places to get a good deal on a game. So people wait.

Also,having sooo many games come out in the 4th quarter of a year can only hurt.

The last time I can remember seeing so many brand-new games drop so fast in price was the crash back in the early 80's.

Hopefully we aren't seeing That trend again... :(

I went out and bought PoP at $50 just to support the game and the company in hopes that maybe if others are doing the same it could add up and help in some small way. I haven't played the game yet but I did buy it. Metal Arms I haven't picked up yet but added it to my *list*. $30 is much more attractive than $50. I said a long time ago that if gaming wants to break into the mainstream the price is going to have to drop. $30 is good but $20 is ideal. Look at how many people ran out and got BG&E when it was reduced that were "on the fence" before at the higher price? I was one of them! I myself can't really justify a $50 price tag for a 10 hour game. But look at the mainstream market - DVDs sell like hot cakes because they are cheap! If games were priced as such people would be willing to take more chances and buy more games. I know I'm not parting with $50 to take a chance on a game... $30 or even more likely $20, its a different story.

Just in case anyone has missed the message, Buy This Game. It Rules. I know that many are taking the 'it can wait' stand, and if you're just working through other games you already own first thats ok. But frankly I'd argue with the rest of the board about their claims that Glitch should be above it in your buying list, even; I think its possibly the best platformer I've played since Mario 64, and certainly the most impressive attempt to move from 2D to 3D while keeping the original essence of a title in a long time.

..and what do you know a sequel is now planned:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/princeof...ws_6087354.html

As part of its earnings announcement today, publisher and developer Ubisoft said it is planning a sequel to its acclaimed adventure game, The Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. "Today, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time is a resounding success for our group," Said Ubisoft Chairman Yves Guillemot. A sequel to this hit is already being planned with an improved marketing positioning."

an improved marketing positioning

So EA will be publishing it, it'll have a hip new "street" look, more harems with scantily clad females, and a happening hip-hop soundtrack, sure to go over well with the youth!

"Prince of The Hood 2*"

*The Game Formerly Known As Prince of Persia 2

Originally posted by Ruffneck@Feb 3 2004, 04:55 PM

an improved marketing positioning

So EA will be publishing it, it'll have a hip new "street" look, more harems with scantily clad females, and a happening hip-hop soundtrack, sure to go over well with the youth!

"Prince of The Hood 2*"

*The Game Formerly Known As Prince of Persia 2

Nah, you need to get a "z" in there:

Prinze of Perzia: Street

-j