LCVG

Fake Game Scam

adamsappel

So, I notice nobody has yet posted in the "Catch a Glitch" thread and decide to open my new copy of Metal Arms and post a picture. I tear off the cellophane wrapper and cut through the side seal. The first thing I notice is not only is the game disk in backwards but there is a huge scratch on it. I look over to the other side to see what could have caused such a gouge and there, instead of a game manual, is a piece of brown cardboard. I take the game out and am quite surprised to see I have paid $30 for the OXM #26 game disk.

metal%20arms%20inside.jpg

I bought the game at GameCrazy. Since I'm a pretty good customer I imagine they'll exchange it for me, but this is really worrying me. The cellophane seems like the real deal, it's folded over and glued, not puckered from a heat-wrap machine. I swear I had to cut through the side seal, and it has the Xbox hologram. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Whoever pulled that off was pretty smooth. I've never been out and out played like that, but I have bought games that were sealed in factory shrinkwrap but had obviously been opened, played, and returned. The sticker on the side of the case can be kept intact pretty easily, and it's also not hard to remove factory shrinkwrap without damaging it. It would be hard to reseal the flaps on the shrinkwrap without it being noticeable, but I doubt an employee would inspect closely. If they won't take it back after hearing your story, you could always reseal it and see if you can fool the employee like the person before you did. :P

I've been examining the evidence, and I see now how they likely did it. They opened up the bottom flap of the cellophane, probably with a hair dryer, and slid the case out. You can tell that one corner of the side seal has been touched where they peeled it back. Remove the manual and game, replace with cardboard and demo disk. The bottom flaps have a very thin layer of glue holding them together. Then return the "unopened" game for their money back. Bastards.

Damn, that's f-ed up. I assume the store will make it right.

The closest I've come to that was buying a brand new game, still wrapped, that had no game disc in it. I always assumed it was a screwup in the 'factory' but maybe not.

I took the game back minutes after buying it and they gave me a new one (with a game inside).

Originally posted by FreakTornado@Feb 2 2004, 01:11 AM

Damn, that's f-ed up. I assume the store will make it right.

The closest I've come to that was buying a brand new game, still wrapped, that had no game disc in it. I always assumed it was a screwup in the 'factory' but maybe not.

I took the game back minutes after buying it and they gave me a new one (with a game inside).

Actually, this happens regularly (well, relatively) to Blizzard titles...

That does suck. Only thing I've ever had was a game that was scratched. But it was loose in the case. I feel bad, but whatever asshole did this allowed me to win the contest :roll:

Hope karma doesn't come looking for me :(

Hope you don't have any trouble returning it...

I returned my "copy" of Metal Arms today. When I opened the case and the clerk saw what was inside, he said, "Oh, no, not again." Apparently this has happened to them before, only ever with Xbox games, and the fake game was also the OPM #26 demo disk. The clerk told me it was a problem at the shipper, not from a customer returning the game. He made a phone call to his manager, who was clearly not happy. They were very good about replacing the disk; unfortunately they didn't have any copies left, so I picked up NFL Street for PS2 instead.

Ive never had this with a game. I did have problems with dvd's before. I picked up a dvd at K-mart when they were still open here. got home(i lived down the block from the store), opened up the case and inside was a MSN internet disc. They were gonna give me a hard time until a guy i knew there said i buy stuff there all the time.

capt