LCVG

All members!! All members!!

Romier S

Ok Folks so as many of you know we have all done some rethinking on where we wanted to head with the design of the site. A few months ago I posted a small peek of the current site for select folks to see and if you go to lcvg.com right now. It was not exactly the most warm reception but thats what happens when things are work in progress ;) . Things change and thankfully in the case for the better (the much much better actually).

With that, our resident owner Kelley spoke to one of our charter members EdR (aka FreakTornado) about doing a redesign of the site based off of the many ideas those members gave in the previous thread. As many noticed previously Jay (Robot Monkey) came up with several ideas/pages and thats where things began. We would be remiss to not thank Jay for his contributions and wonderful ideas that helped take us in a different direction than we had originally look towards.

After some talks Ed agreed to help us out and one fine day Kelley sent me a private message with a link. That link was to redesigned front page that really just knocked my socks off. To put it bluntly..I loved it! Here it is for you guys to take a look at in its original form:

**ALL SHOTS ARE WORK IN PROGRESS, PLEASE KEEP THIS IN MIND!**

lcvg_comp.jpg

Like I said, I loved it:)

So further down the line we got more and more samples of what Ed was coming up with for the site. Heres some more peeks with temporary textr from my Legacy of Kain review:

Features page: Features

Reviews Page (Most recent):Reviews and Most Recent

News: News

News Archive: News Archive

Actual Review: Actual Review

Platform page/Review Landing: Platform Page

About the Author: About the Author

The last step was to get everything encoded over to HTML and prepare for the implementing of the PHP (still in progress). Also keep in mind the following page there is no CSS so the text here is *WORK IN PROGRESS* and not final (in other words it my appear larger or smaller per page). Once CSS is in place we can fine tune what we need. Here is the full page in HTML with clickable links and more, take a look:

LCVG HTML

Finally a heartfelt thanks goes out to Ed from all of us. He has done more than I could have imagined and has really moved us forward and closer to getting this thing launched. For lack of a better thought Ed, you saved our asses man.

Thanks!

There you have it folks. We would appreciate any thoughts, comments etc.. you could provide in terms of useability, navigation etc. As always we are listening.

Thanks a bunch guys,

LCVG Staff.

1.) I love the colour coding. Makes everything easier to understand and is a very elegant touch.

2.) Ditto with the text-list of the reviews, the small excerpt, and the general layout of that interface. It's very purposeful, very slick. It's about the writing, it's about the content. It's not about fluff. I think this sort of thinking is part of the LCVG essence. The very best magazines (IMHO) are like this.

3.) I like the banner at the top with the partial view of the controllers. Please tell me it was inspired by my sig. :D

4.) That robot monkey bio is priceless.

Last, but not least.) Ed is fucking brilliant.

Originally posted by Darius@Feb 2 2004, 02:19 PM

I don't spend much time on the main site but I do like the new design much better. I guess I should check for content there sometimes rather than just going directly to the forums.

What content?

There hasn't yet been anything. :D

don't spend much time on the main site but I do like the new design much better. I guess I should check for content there sometimes rather than just going directly to the forums.

Dont worry the site currently there has no content, it was thrown up as a mock up so the site hasnt launched. ;)

Looking really good so far. It's clean, professional looking, but not boring. I could nitpick about text, and spacing, screenshot thumb sizes, but it's probably not the time for that yet.

I might suggest that the Reviews and Features list pages might do well with a bit more color and the platform color icons on the reviews page should be in the same order as the title row.

And will the features always simply be links on the front page? Or will they also sometimes be the top story with it's own graphic?

Suggestions?

Make the PC button yellow instead of grey and onmouseover for the different platforms make the button light up instead of the current box that partially obscures the button.

Overall it looks very nice. I like that there is no designed in space for commercials :green:

Kinda reminds me of an old gaming site look from way back. Was the site for the mag Computer Games Strategy Plus (my favorite since they published a strategy article I wrote).

I like it.

I could nitpick about text, and spacing, screenshot thumb sizes, but it's probably not the time for that yet.

As noted CSS has not been implemented as of yet so the text is off on many pages (as well as the spacing etc.. because of it). That part is still work in progress.

And will the features always simply be links on the front page? Or will they also sometimes be the top story with it's own graphic?

If its a feature we really want to give attention too then yes it can and will have its own graphic in the main window. Thats not just there for games if thats what your wondering.

Overall, it looks pretty good to me. I do have a couple of questions/comments.

First of all, do you plan on having a previews section? I didn't see one on the main page. I also noticed a lack of media pages for games (screenshots, movies, etc.). Perhaps that's going under another topic heading like Features?

Also on the review pages I noticed that under the Technical Merit section that you put a plus (+) in front of the features the game supports and a minus (-) beside the features not supported. I suspect that this may cause some confusion. Someone who quickly glances at the list may see 720p/1080i support but fail to notice the minus, and thus believe that the game has HD graphics. Why not just list the features supported and leave out those that are not? Or, failing that, why not print the features supported in a bold text to make them stand out more? You could even print the unsupported features in a lighter colored text so that there's a more visual distinction between supported and unsupported features. Take a look at the back of most Xbox game cases for an example of what I mean.

But, yes, it looks like it's coming along very nicely. A little more tinkering and LCVG is ready for business! 8)

Originally posted by FutureVoid@Feb 4 2004, 07:18 PM

Excellent addition Ed! I think thats a great comprimise between leaving out the features and allowing the reviews to be more uniform (which I would prefer) and leaving them there.

I'd love to take the credit, but it was J.Fo's idea... :D

Originally posted by FutureVoid@Feb 4 2004, 09:33 PM

I'd love to take the credit, but it was J.Fo's idea...

You'r right but that'd be giving him credit......BAH! :lmfao:

So, I take it to mean that I won't be getting 50% of the profits LCVG makes once the site goes live? ;)

Anyway, I like the change, Ed. Nice work!

Originally posted by FreakTornado+Feb 10 2004, 12:45 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FreakTornado @ Feb 10 2004, 12:45 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-FutureVoid@Feb 9 2004, 07:55 PM

So, I take it to mean that I won't be getting 50% of the profits LCVG makes once the site goes live?

Negative ;)

Hmm.

Shouldn't that be "affirmative"? [/b]

No, no! I like Romier's answer!