LCVG

Metroid: Zero Mission

JFo

February 9 is almost here, and with it, the release of Metroid: Zero Mission for the GameBoy Advance. As a hopeless fanatic for all things Samus, I find myself caught off guard by this one. I knew it was coming since sometime last year, but until now, I have not gotten too excited about it. I suspect that this is mostly due to the fact that I knew very little about the game until recently. For those of you not up on this release, here's a summary of what to expect from it.

First and foremost, this is a remake of the original Metroid, much like the GameCube version of Resident Evil and the forthcoming Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes. Yes, the visuals have been improved to more closely match the graphics of Super Metroid and Metroid Fussion, but the gameplay has also been radically altered. Many of the abilities not available to Samus in the original game will be included with Zero Mission, such Super Missiles, Power Bombs, and the ability to grab ledges. Consequently, the world of Zebes has been altered to make use of these new moves. So, while certain aspects of the game may seem familiar (run to the left to get the Morph Ball), one could also say that it's an entirely new experience for seasoned Metroid fans.

The game will also provide a greatly expanded story, complete with new cinematics. In an interesting twist, the creators of the game have revealed that a good portion of it - 25 to 30% - will take place after Mother Brain is defeated. That should be interesting. Also, there's a portion in which Samus does not wear her suit. (If I'm not mistaken, this occurs after Mother Brain's defeat also.) It will be interesting to see how this affects gameplay.

At any rate, I know I will definitely have to make a trip to the local GameStop Monday or Tuesday for this one. I?ll need my fix before Metroid Prime 2?s release later this year.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't wait. Though, sadly, I haven't finished Fusion yet! Wah! Until last week I had no idea Zero Mission was coming so soon. Time get Fusion out and give it a proper go.

I played through the original Metroid just a few months ago. I was surprised by how hard it seemed. I wonder if Zero Mission will be as hardcore...

Originally posted by Covak@Feb 3 2004, 12:32 PM

I played through the original Metroid just a few months ago. I was surprised by how hard it seemed. I wonder if Zero Mission will be as hardcore...

The review (or preview?) in the latest EGM indicated that Zero Mission isn't as hard as the original. They also rated it very highly.

I never finished Fusion either - it's gotten easier since I picked up an SP, but that was just a week ago :)

I managed to finish Fusion in the midst of a road trip with my wife. I remember cursing her out because the lighting wasn't just right for me to play at that moment. I got my afterburner installed after that, and it helped greatly. I should really give Fusion another go before Zero Mission next week.

Glen

I actually picked up Fusion for the first time just last week, thanks to a 20% off sale at one of the KB stores going out of business. This is actually my first experience with any Metroid game, and I'm really enjoying it so far. It's been a long time since I played a classic 2D sidescroller, and this is one of the best I've seen. Very fun, and surprisingly tricky at times! I didn't really have any opinion about Zero Mission before, but now that I've played Fusion I can say that I am really looking forward to it.

Originally posted by Kain rising@Feb 3 2004, 12:41 PM

The review (or preview?) in the latest EGM indicated that Zero Mission isn't as hard as the original. They also rated it very highly.

Yes, they did. In fact, they named it their Game of the Month.

I read at IGN that Zero Mission will offer players their choice of difficulty levels. However, you won't be able to select Hard until you beat the game on Normal, much like Metroid Prime.

This is actually my first experience with any Metroid game, and I'm really enjoying it so far.

PoisonJam, I have a mission for you. If you can, look for a copy of Metroid II: The Return of Samus. Obviously you have a GameBoy Advance, so you should be able to play it. While obviously not as technically advanced as Metroid Fussion, it is still a remarkable game from top to bottom. Give it a try whenever you have the chance.

Oh, and I also see that you have an SNES. Why haven't you played Super Metroid, young man? Hmm...? :shock:

PoisonJam, I have a mission for you. If you can, look for a copy of Metroid II: The Return of Samus. Obviously you have a GameBoy Advance, so you should be able to play it. While obviously not as technically advanced as Metroid Fussion, it is still a remarkable game from top to bottom. Give it a try whenever you have the chance.

Oh, and I also see that you have an SNES. Why haven't you played Super Metroid, young man? Hmm...?

Will do, JF. I do indeed have a GBA but only a few games for it and I'm always on the lookout for new ones. I'll poke around and see if I can find a copy of Metroid 2.

As for the SNES, well I DID have one at the time I wrote up that intro post (kudos to your research, btw. :)), but it was a hand-me-down machine from a buddy that stopped working about a week after I posted that. To this day, the only SNES game that I've ever played in my life is Zelda: A Link to the Past, and even that I only got a few hours into before the machine fried. :(

My NES is also toast, by the way. And I have somehow managed to lose my original GBA with my Tactics Ogre cartridge in it. I think someone put some kind of anti-Nintendo feng shui hex on my house. :x

Originally posted by PoisonJam@Feb 3 2004, 10:29 PM

As for the SNES, well I DID have one at the time I wrote up that intro post (kudos to your research, btw. :)), but it was a hand-me-down machine from a buddy that stopped working about a week after I posted that. To this day, the only SNES game that I've ever played in my life is Zelda: A Link to the Past, and even that I only got a few hours into before the machine fried. :(

Ah, I understand. That's a shame. Perhaps you'll luck out and Nintendo will release a port of Super Metroid for the GBA. In fact, I'm surprised they haven't already done so. It seems like an easy way to make a good buck.

If you like Fussion, chances are you'll like Super Metroid also. Think of it as the foundation upon which the game you're playing now rests. Penny Arcade described it best when they said that with Metroid Fussion, it's as if Nintendo made a sequel for the Super NES game and sealed it in a box that read, "Do not open until Christmas 2002."

Picked this up today and can't wait to get home and fire up the GB player.

I haven't played Fusion so will leave that for after Zero Mission.

J.Fo, I didn't know about a Metroid II.

Also, there is a bonus for you if you own both Fusion and Zero Mission - if you have 2 GBAs you can link them together to unlock the original Metroid on the Zero Mission cart, apparently.

Would this be the same game when linking Metroid Fusion with MP?

Originally posted by Covak@Feb 10 2004, 08:55 PM

I ran through most of the game today. If it wasn't so darn easy it'd be perfect.

I still think the original NES game is best just because of how hard it was. Zero Mission may be second best though, as far as the 2-D games go.

Is it easy just because you played the original game so much?