LCVG

Chronicles of Riddick

Carlucci

1up.com has an interview with the producer of this game, to be published by Vivendi.

It's being developed by Starbreeze, and is supposed to street with the most bleeding edge graphics to date for the Xbox.

It is being billed as an action/stealth/adventure hybrid that will also include 1st-person fighting.

GameInformer Magazine, in this month's issue, is calling it "The Most Amazing Xbox Game You've Never Heard Of".

Just wondering if this has touched any interest. I will re-read my GI article tonight when I get home, but I believe it was to include Xbox live play as well.

Carlos.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah. I liked Starbreeze's Enclave. (it's available for a measly $9.99 for those who haven't picked it up yet)

Don't really care for action movie/game tie-ins (OK, Goldeneye was good but they perfected it for a year after the movie came out) but I'm hoping the game turns out good...don't know much about it yet though.

• 2 months later...

This game is on my radar, bigtime! :Rock:

Enclave, to this day, has some of the best graphics EVER on Xbox. For the 3 other gamers out there, including myself, that slugged it out to the end in Enclave, can attest to the serious graphics coding ability of Starbreeze. :tu:

Riddick, at this point, looks damn good!!!! I have no doubt that it is going to be another highwater mark, for graphics, on the Xbox.

With Half Life 2, Doom 3 and (moment of silence).....Halo 2, coming out this year, I can see this title getting sort of lost in the shuffle since Enclave didn't make too much of a stir either. Going up against HUGE names like the ones I mentioned, Riddick could be "the" sleeper fps hit of this year.......if the story/gameplay matches the eye candy.

Can't wait to try it out! :D

With Half Life 2, Doom 3 and (moment of silence).....Halo 2, coming out this year, I can see this title getting sort of lost in the shuffle since Enclave didn't make too much of a stir either. Going up against HUGE names like the ones I mentioned,

The only one of those three due "soon" is Halo 2, and that's due in September/October, last I heard. Riddick is due out the same time as the film, I believe, to capitilise on the cross marketing. If the film is as big as they're hoping, everyone will know about the game...

Originally posted by hollismb@Apr 21 2004, 08:53 AM

I just can't see really getting into a FPS that has absolutely no mutliplayer options.

I understand this viewpoint, but I'll definitely still be keeping an eye on the game... Single player looks cool, and after all, for me, Halo essentially had no multiplayer options either ;) (ie, no local gamer friends to come over and have a frag fest with.)

Don't get me wrong, I've never played that much Halo mutliplayer, which makes it pretty much a single player game (I did get together with a bunch of guys to play last week though), but it's an awesome single-player game. Riddick is going to have to impress the holy hell out of me to make it worth a purchase, especially with a bunch of other FPS's coming out this year. The fact that it's based of a movie scares me a lot too, in that it might be all graphics, no gameplay.

Has anyone read any hands-on impressions anywhere?

The fact that it's based of a movie scares me a lot too, in that it might be all graphics, no gameplay.

It's based on the character/backstory of the film, but it's not strictly a film tie-in - it's a prequel story to the Pitch Black story, showing how Riddick escapes the prison he's jailed in, which isn't part of the story directly told in either film.

Originally posted by hollismb@Apr 26 2004, 03:01 PM

Either way, it's still based off a movie. Kind of like Enter the Matrix, and we all know how that one turned out....

IMO, Enter The Matrix could have been a much better game (though I don't hate it as much as some) but for it having to be released the same day that Reloaded hit the theaters... which of course is where some questions about Riddick can come into play, since I'm guessing it'll be a similar situation (if not day of, then right about the same time). I'll still play it by ear/sight to see what more rumblings come out about this game, but for now, I'm hopeful they gave themselves plenty of lead time to make the game good :D They definitely spent some time on the graphics engine.

Either way, it's still based off a movie. Kind of like Enter the Matrix, and we all know how that one turned out....

Sweeping generalization don't you think? Lord of the Rings Return of the King was also based on a movie and was excellent as was its predecessor. 007 Everything or Nothing, while not based on a movie worked with an existing license to create an excellent game. An almost exact duplication of what this game is trying to achieve. The original Buffy the Vampire Slayer game was a uniformally fantastic game and based on a license. I don't feel we should automatically disqualify a game from being good simply because it has a license attached to it, especially considering we have no idea how long of a development cycle Riddick has had.

Of course it's a sweeping generalization. But those game listed above are exceptions to the rule. Heck, most Star Wars games aren't any good either, but there are some excellent exceptions to that. My point is more about not getting hyped up over Riddick, and taking more of a wait and see approach, seeing as it's a FPS with no mutliplayer, AND it's based off a movie (or series of movies in this case). That's already two potential strikes against it. It sure does look pretty though, but I'm just concerned about how it will play, most of all.

Of course it's a sweeping generalization. But those game listed above are exceptions to the rule.

Exactly. Which is why I don't like sweeping generalizations. Riddick could very well end up being one of those exceptions. I think movie/TV licensed games have seen some serious improvement over the last couple of years.

Your point was to take a wait and see approach to Riddick and to not let the "hype" overtake your senses. I think thats excellent advice but I think it also goes without saying........for every game. Not just Riddick. (I think Fable for instance could use a healthy dose of that medicine ;) )

seeing as it's a FPS with no mutliplayer

You know I guess I have a really hard time understanding why this is automatically counted as a negative. Some multiplayer games I can definitely see the need for it. Afterall I could understand a certain amount of ire if the next game in the Rainbow Six series were announced as single player only but why exactly should Riddick lend it itself to multiplayer? It seems the developers are attempting to bring the player a story driven single play experience and given the time constraints, I can see why they didn't bother with any multiplayer additions. I would prefer they concentrate on making a hell of a good single player game then attempting some half-assed multiplayer mode. Of course you'll no doubt disagree but I guess I don't place as much emphasis on NEEDING a multiplayer mode for every FPS under the sun. After all Clive Barker's Undying turned out pretty damned fantastic without it (of course no one bought it more than likely for the exact reason I'm arguing against but don't mind me :D ).

After all Clive Barker's Undying turned out pretty damned fantastic without it

Why yes, it did, as a matter of fact.

You'd even think it'd make a great bargain game on an old computer :green:.

Far as Riddick goes, it's a licensed game, but focus on single player may make it good. I mean, a prequel is smart, we know the main character will survive since it's a game, so why not explore the past some?

I'm pretty excited to see this one in action, since myself, and the 3 other guys that bought Enclave, know how fantastic Starbreeze is at coding graphics for the Xbox. Enclave is still a great demo title to show what the 'Box can do, and it's a couple of years old now!

Impressive...most impressive.

If they can weave a great story in with the eyecandy, this game could end up being one hell of a hold over until the other big boys start showing up this fall.

Here's hoping!!!!! :tu:

I'm not saying it's a definite negative not to have multiplayer, but I prefer online games, for the most part, and it gives a game a lot more replay value. That's why it's a potential negative. Not a deadly one, but as far as replay goes, it certainly takes a hit. I'm not trying to knock the game, but instead am approaching it with cautious optimism so I don't go out buying a turd. Let's put it this way: I'm not going to be pre-ordering this one. I just hope with all those great graphics it doesn't end up like, oh, we'll say... Brute Force. A pretty game, with shallow gameplay, that got really boring, really fast.

Obviously I haven't played Riddick, and have only seen screenshots, but I consider it just eye candy until I hear some really awesome hands on previews. After being hyped up for XIII (which is online) and then finding out is was pretty shallow, and no good online, I passed that one over too.

Nonetheless, Riddick definitely looks awesome, but I just hope it plays that well too.

Y'know, it could be argued that not being online is in Riddick's favour rather than a negative... The games you just mentioned (Brute Force, XII) definitely suffered from trying to do great single player and great multiplayer, and in my opinion, ended up with neither.

With Riddick, they're concentrating on a great singleplayer experience, and hopefully that extra focus will show. The developer has a track record of a good singleplayer experience too...