LCVG

So I finally saw "Lost in Translation"...

Whooter

Kinda funny you posted this, I just came home with this DVD, along with "American Splendor" - after a while of debating which movie to watch first, I finally just put both a movie in each hand and hid them behind my back and made Tim (my boyfriend) choose one...

So we're about to start American Splendor...Maybe I'll start a thread about it in around 2 hours.

Can't wait to see Lost in Translation tomorrow night!

I just came home with this DVD, along with "American Splendor"

I had this same dilemma... I watched American Splendor first and thought it was outstanding. A very creative piece of work, thoroughly enjoyable.

And Lost in Translation was great as well. Murray and Johannsen both delivered terrific performances.

Just finished watching it. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I really like the style of this movie, with lots of quiet scenes, long scenes with no dialog, and awkward moments...it's quite true to life in that way.

Both of the leads are great. They are vary natural in their respective roles. And the unlikely romance, if that's what you call it, is really palpable.

Two great movies in two nights!

Finally viddied this last night. Really enjoyed it.

I'm actually surprised to hear quite a few people enjoyed this movie; I honestly didn't think that most people would enjoy this type of film. I think Bill Murray is probably the main reason it works for people; he really is a person you'd love to hang out with.

And of course...Best. Opening. Shot. Ever. drooling3.gif

Can anyone think of some movies, recent or not, that you would recommend as comparable to this one? In terms of the style of the movie/dialogue/pacing of the movie...

I also watched this one last night. I didn't go into it with any expectations other than the knowledge that many of you guys like it.

My wife hated it. She said she was always having to guess the character's thoughts, didn't like the drawn out silences and hated the "akward and uncomfortable" relationship.

I liked it, mainly for the same reasons my wife disliked it. I'm not sure that I can really put a finger on why, but the movie clicked with me. Maybe I'm just tired of special effects blitzes, but it was a nice change of pace to see some real life acting. I almost got the sense that the characters were playing themselves, that it was less of a production and more of a documentary.

Murray's discomfort at interfacing with Japanese culture was genuine and convincing. I'm also happy to see him do a serious piece without losing his sense of humor.

Originally posted by Dan B.@Feb 11 2004, 09:15 AM

Can anyone think of some movies, recent or not, that you would recommend as comparable to this one? In terms of the style of the movie/dialogue/pacing of the movie...

Wong Kar-Wai. That is, he's a director, not a film :) In particular, check out Chungking Express and In the Mood for Love, which are a couple of his most recent movies and they're wonderful. I particularly like In the Mood for Love, which is the one of the best movies I've ever seen.

Well, I'll be the 1st to say that I didn't like it. With over 700 dvds in my media room, I consider myself to have a diversified taste in films spaning all genre including many low budget and foreign films.

Personally, this one didn't do it for me. For some reason, I wasn't really interested in the characters which is a very important part of a film such as this. I will go as far as saying it was over rated but I did think the actors performed very well. I'm glad Bill Murry is getting some great recognition for his role.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that didn't care for "Lost in Translation." I held my peace for awhile because I felt like maybe I just missed something, but Wetwork has made me think perhaps I'm not alone. I truly think that the performances by Bill Murray and Scarlett Johannsen were phenomanal, but I don't know, I was just bored senseless by the film.

I know that puts me in the minority, but I just really did not like this film.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that didn't care for "Lost in Translation." I held my peace for awhile because I felt like maybe I just missed something, but Wetwork has made me think perhaps I'm not alone. I truly think that the performances by Bill Murray and Scarlett Johannsen were phenomanal, but I don't know, I was just bored senseless by the film.

Ok Matt you and I can no longer be friends. ;)

Wong Kar-Wai. That is, he's a director, not a film In particular, check out Chungking Express and In the Mood for Love, which are a couple of his most recent movies and they're wonderful. I particularly like In the Mood for Love, which is the one of the best movies I've ever seen.
Thanks Andy. I added those to my Netflix queue.

I watched this flick Wed. night. and enjoyed it. I agree with Ed about liking the style of the movie. I enjoyed seeing Tokyo and the Japanese culture. One of my favorite scenes was when Johanssen was walking though the arcade. It really showed how the Japaense like those wacky games that us westerners aren't into.