LCVG

So I finally saw "American Splendor"...

rustyjaw

I don't want to tread on Whooter's Lost in Translation thread with talk about this movie, so I'll just move it over here.

I totally loved this movie, Harvey Pekar is something else. What an endearing anti-hero.

And the film itself is really nicely put together, I love the weaving in of 'true life' characters and the voiceover by Pekar himself. There were some sequences that were really inventive, like the "Slideshow" transitions in the middle part, very nice. I liked Paul Giamatti a lot, he was great. The only problem I had with his performance is that he's not quite as charismatic as the real Harvey Pekar, but it didn't bother me much. The film has a bedraggled reality to it, you feel like you've been to Cleveland (no offense anyone, I don't remember it, but I was born a few miles from there :-)

The love story is eccentric, but believable and fun to watch. The dialog between them is entertaining and genuine.

All in all, a fantastic movie.

How -- if at all-- did they push the comic book connection on the DVD?

I'm not sure what you mean. There is a small booklet comic inside the DVD case, called "Our movie year." There aren't too many special features on the disc itself; There's a trailer, a behind the scenes thing that follows Pekar at the various openings of the movie, another is a static shot that plays the theme song from the movie, and I can't remember, but I think there's one more.

A little off tangent to American Splendor but Jay if you're interested in seeing a movie that has both a tight connection to the medium of comic books and is pretty hilarious to boot I'd recommend checking out Comic Book: The Movie. Starring and directed by Mark Hammill, I think you'll like it quite a bit (its a mockumentary ala Spinal Tap).

I'm curious whether the DVD of American Splendor is designed in such a way to introduce people to the genre.

I would say not, I think they assume you're already somewhat familiar. There's nothing on the DVD that serves as an intro to the world of comics or anything like that. I have to admit I'd never heard of American Splendor before hearing about the movie, although I did know R. Crumb's work, I didn't know of Pekar.

• 1 year later...

I'm bumping this up since I just saw this movie on DVD a few days ago and was absolutely blown away. What a fascinating character Pekar is. It prompted me to track down a couple of the American Splendor compilations at my local library and I was doubly impressed by them. I need to find more, I tore threw the ones I had in like two days...I really relate to certain aspects of Harvey's life.