LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
A CLAN OF ONE

Some HDD help needed

OK, here's the deal:

At present, I have a 60 GB HD in my PC with 31% free space, which I'm filling up fast. I don't know ANYTHING about partitions AND since my PC was built for me, I know even less about the partitions in my PC.

So anyway, I have a WD 120GB HD laying around, which I was going to use for an HTPC, but I'll probably get a 200GB for that purpose, so I wanna put the 120 gig in my PC.

Basically, what I want to do is have my OS and apps on the 60 gig (I have in my PC now) and use the 120 gig for data (mostly videos and music). BUT, here's where I think it gets tricky, I want to partition my 60 gig. Can I do that with stuff on my 60 gig HD? Or would I have to copy evrything over to the 120, re-format (?) and partiton the 60, then copy the OS and apps back onto the 60? Then "erase" all the stuff I don't want on the 120?

Is this possible? If so, what kind of program do I need? BTW, free is GOOD! ;) Also, how many and what size should partitions be for an "average" user like myself?

BTW, if it's important, I DO NOT have my Windows XP disc. Is there a way to do a clean install without it, if it's necessary?

Can I do that with stuff on my 60 gig HD?

A program like Partition Magic could do that for you. Although I usually go the route of backing up my stuff to a separate drive, then formatting and partitioning the drive, thhn copying whatever I need back to the original drive.

I PM'ed you some info about it as well.

I want to partition my 60 gig. Can I do that with stuff on my 60 gig HD? Or would I have to copy evrything over to the 120, re-format (?) and partiton the 60, then copy the OS and apps back onto the 60? Then "erase" all the stuff I don't want on the 120?

Is this possible? If so, what kind of program do I need? BTW, free is GOOD!

If you just want to partition the 60GB drive without reinstalling the OS you'll need a program like Partition Magic, which is not free.

If you want to move everything over from the 60GB drive to the 120GB one, you'll need a program like Norton Ghost, which is not free.

BTW, if it's important, I DO NOT have my Windows XP disc. Is there a way to do a clean install without it, if it's necessary?

There is no way to do a clean install of Windows XP without the disk, unless you have an image of it on your network. Which I assume you don't ;)

My advice would be to just add the 120GB drive, partition it the way you want to and go from there. If you're not comfortable with partitioning drives, there's really no better teacher than practicing on a fresh drive :)