LCVG

2003 LCVG Reader Awards, Part 1

Robot Monkey

Here's the format for the 2003 LCVG Reader Awards. Below you will find the first five categories. Please post your nominations in this topic.

I would like us to agree on five (5) nominations for each of the award categories. When we settle on five nominees for each category, I will post the next five categories. When nominees have been selected for all categories, we will make polls in the Poll forum to determine the winners.

Please make a case for your choices in this thread. I encourage you to debate the choices here as well.

The first five categories:

Best Controls

Best Story

Best Original Soundtrack

Best Compilation Soundtracxk

Best Sound Design

EDIT: To keep things under control, please do not nominate more than two titles per category. And don't forget to explain your choices

My nominations:

Best Controls

Prince of Persia. It just feels sweet. I get that adrenaline rush because I actually feel like I'm controlling the character.

Soul Calibur 2. Again, I feel like I'm controlling the character (just not well most of the time). I like the way that I can button mash or do stuff intentionally -- and either way it feels like I'm in control. (GC and Xbox version played).

Best Story

KOTOR. Except for whiny Carth's backstory, I loved the story. I played good, and now I'm going through again with an evil character. Either way, the plot (and its twists) sucked me into the game. How many times did I wish Bioware wrote the prequels and not Lucas?

Best Original Soundtrack

Voodoo Vince. Not only is this soundtrack jazzy, it's fun, in an almost bouncy way.

Prince of Persia. I love Stuart Chatwood's (from the band Tea Party) soundtrack. He described it as Middle Eastern and rock with a dash of Indian. I describe it as perfect for the game.

Best Compilation Soundtrack

Project Gotham Racing 2. It's just a great mix of diverse music from bands unfamiliar to me. And it's huge! The bumpers from local DJ's only makes it better.

Best Sound Design

Tough one. I'll have to refrain from nominations right now, although Voodoo Vince, Ghost Recon: Island Thunder, and Project Gotham 2 are all front runners.

What about worst turkey awards too ?

Those are come later.

-j

Best Controls:

Rainbow Six 3 (X-Box): I never thought I would see the day where a FPS could control just as good with a controller compared to the mouse/keyboard combo. Halo came close, but RS3 has it almost to perfection.

WWE: Smackdown: Here Comes the Pain (PS2): Not since No Mercy on the N64 has a wrestling game had such solid controls. In previous Smackdown games, there was always something goofy about the controls...kicking and punching in weird directions, plus the grapple system sucked. In HCTP, the grapple system and counter system are nice and fluid. I never thought I would see the day where a Smackdown game would be my favorite wrestling game.

Best Story:

Beyond Good and Evil (All platforms): I don't want to get into it too much and spoil the story for those that haven't played it yet. The storytelling is solid as is the voice acting. I keep on playing when I get new missions to find out more and more about why the government is the way they are.

Fatal Frame 2 (PS2): Nice spooky story that is told through gameplay, notes, recordings, and premonitions. The creepy factor isn't as high as the 1st FF, but that laughing girl will give anyone the heeby-jeebies.

Best Original Soundtrack:

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time (All Platforms): Great Rock and Middle Eastern themes

Panzer Dragoon Orta (X-box): A surreal game with a surreal soundtrack. Wonderful tense music when called for, but also some beautiful earthy music when just flying through the gorgeous scenery.

Will come back to this one

Best Sound Design

Rainbow Six 3 (X-Box): 5.1 is put to great use here. Guns sound authentic, sound placement in speakers is spot on, and grenades/explosions make my SVS rumble good. :)

Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (X-box): Again, another game that puts 5.1 to wonderful use. The voice acting is also terrific (actual actors) which makes you feel like part of the movie. Oh, and another nod to the SVS side of things, especially during the Gandalf Missions. :)

-Dean-

Originally posted by RingWraith@Feb 4 2004, 01:42 PM

Best Controls:

Rainbow Six 3 (X-Box): I never thought I would see the day where a FPS could control just as good with a controller compared to the mouse/keyboard combo. Halo came close, but RS3 has it almost to perfection.

The dead area in the center of the aim stick didn't bother you? I vastly prefer the controls of Halo or GR/GRIT.

-j

Best Controls

Prince of Persia (Xbox) - I remember watching videos of PoP before it came out, and thinking to myself what a bitch it was going to be controlling the main character. I was wrong. After about half an hour I was pulling off the most acrobatic moves I've ever seen in a game, and I never felt that the Prince was out of my control. It was that perfect.

Viewtiful Joe (Gamecube) - This I chose not so much for the control of the main character, but for the WAY you controlled him. Using all of Joes special powers and figuring out what powers to use to effectively combat enemies made this game a joy to play.

Best Story

Knights of the Old Republic - (Xbox) - To me KotOR had a better story than Episodes 1 & 2 combined. It drew you in, tossed a few "WTF" moments at you, and kept me riveted for the duration I played it. I haven't beaten it yet, but unlike a lot of games, the story is what keeps brining me back.

Prince of Persia (Xbox) - While it is a very short game, it's story kept me playing. The interaction between the Prince & Farah, the Princes quest for redemption - It all kept me involved with the game, and dre me in for the length of the game.

Best Original Soundtrack

Voodoo Vince (Xbox) - Underrated game, fantastic soundtrack. Fantastic jazz soundtrack fits this game perfectly.

Castlevania : Lament of Innocence (PS2) - Aural goodness. Sometimes eerie, sometimes symphonic, always good.

Grand Theft Auto : Double Pack (Xbox) - I know it's close to two years old, but the soundtrack to these two games is second to none. I could go on and on over the fantastic 80's music in Vice City.

DDRMAX2 : Dance Dance Revolution (PS2) - Yes I play DDR. Yes I suck at it. Yes it has a kick-ass selection of music. My favorite? Silent Hill by Thomas Howard.

Best Sound Design

Rainbow Six 3 (Xbox) - This was the first game I tried out when I set up my DD 5.1 system in my room. The qualityof explosions, the bullets whizzing past me, being able to hear everything around me totally immersed me in the game. Top notch in every way.

Karaoke Revolution (PS2) - Yes I play Karaoke Revolution. No, I'm quite good at it. Kudos to Konami for the design on this game. Not only can I sing with the songs, but it'll tell me if I'm in tune, PLUS I can hear all my adoring fans cheering me on! Ok, they boo at me alot too. :(

Best Controls

Okay, I'm going to throw a curveball here. I nominate Mario and Luigi SuperStar Saga (GBA) for this category. Who else but Nintendo could make controlling two separate characters, each with two different jumps, a hammer attack, and an elemental attack, at the same time, with only two face buttons and two shoulder buttons not only possible, but actually intuitive? That's an impressive accomplishment and it earns my nod for this category.

Best Story

I'm going to have to go with KOTOR as well. The story in that game would have made not only a gripping movie, but a compelling novel as well.

Best Original Soundtrack

I love the atmospheric and immersive soundtrack in Otogi. It fits the game perfectly.

Can't I just nominate Jet Set Radio Future every year? :P No? Okay, then I pass because I wasn't really blown away with any compiled soundtrack this year.

Best Sound Design

Why not just cut to the chase and name this "Deepest Bass"? :) Kidding. I will second Dean's nom of Rainbow Six 3, for the reasons he mentioned. And I'll add one more in this category: Dungeons and Dragons Heroes (Xbox). This game surprised me with how effective the sound cues were. Swinging a sword sounds different from swinging a cudgel, which sounds different from a staff, etc. Clay pots tinkle when you crush them, trapped chests explode with a deep roar when you set them off, monsters growl and rumble menacingly...the game itself is kind of a cheesy (and enjoyable) Gauntlet clone, but the sound really sets it apart.

Best Controls

Prince of Persia ? PoP just blew everything else out of the water control-wise. So simple, yet allowing you to do so many things. I was so impressed with the Prince of Persia controls that I'm not even nominating a second game.

Best Story

Knights of the Old Republic ? KotOR has a fantastic story that just kept me enthralled from beginning to end (I barely moved from in front of the TV the first weekend I had it).

Beyond Good & Evil ? The game might be short, but it has a fun story complete with intrigue and its share of surprises.

Best Original Soundtrack

Silent Hill 3 ? The sound and music is such an important part of the Silent Hill games and they always seem to get it right. Including the free soundtrack disc with the game also didn't hurt their chances of getting a nomination from me.

Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker ? Once I got over Wind Waker's amazing visuals my socks were knocked off the music. Some more than others, but the total package is very impressive.

True Crime: Streets of LA ? I really think this should win. The game itself was unimpressive, but they really did a good job of picking songs for the soundtrack. Definitely the best part of the game.

Project Gotham Racing 2 ? I don't find the PGR 2 soundtrack annoying, and after the hours I've logged in the game, that's really saying something. It has a very nice selection of songs.

Best Sound Design

Silent Hill 3 ? As I mentioned above, sound and music are key to the series. Silent Hill 3 doesn't dissapoint, with sounds almost as disturbing as its visuals. When you're in the dark with only the beam of your flashlight to illuminate your way, the sounds really amp up the tension.

Knights of the Old Republic ? The Star Wars franchise has the most recognizable sound library around and it's put to good use here. The whole game just sounds fantastic. There's nothing as satisfying as the sound as your character powers-up his double-lightsabre.

Best Controls:

F-Zero GX - This game succeeds largely because the control is so tight. It would have been a disaster if the controls were anything less than stellar.

SSX3 - Just a delicious, melt-in-your-mouth, predictable control system. The new combo system is divine.

Best Story:

Simpson's Hit and Run - OK, I didn't even finish this game, in fact I didn't finish any story-driven game this year (it's true) but this was my favorite until I got bored ;-)

Crimson Skies - Again the above applies here. I might still finish this game, but the Dirty Disc error killed the joy for me. I enjoyed the cinematic quality of this game and storyline though.

Panzer Dragoon Orta - The music sets the mood and fits the game amazingly well.

Best Compilation Soundtrack:

Amped 2 - The truth is that I don't like a lot of the music in this game, but there's just so much available that even if I ignore the tracks I don't like, there's a heck of a lot of good ones left.

Best Sound Design:

Top Spin - The first time I heard someone in the crowd yell out the name of my opponent as a show of support, I knew PAM had done their homework. Then there's the fact that they got the sound of applause right, the reverb of the spaces, the sounds of sneakers squeaking on cement, sliding on clay, the pop of the ball being served.

Best Controls

Got to be the simply divine intuitiveness of Prince Of Persia: The Sands Of Time - after the simple tutorial stuff to start you're performing wall-jumps, somersaults and backflips that would shame Mario, and the camera never stops to bother me either. Its a thing of beauty and a joy to behold.

Best Story

I'm not a big one for stories in games, but I found Gregory Horror Show hilarious.

to come in the morning:

Best Original Soundtrack

Soul Calibur 2 for hitting just the right level of over-the-top histrionics to match the battles, without quite straying in to waist-deep cheese. I love it, but can't really pinpoint why.

I'll pass here - the few games I've played with licensed tracks this year have all had them turned off again within five minutes. I don't like skatepunk - which seems to rule out about 90% of licensed tracks straight off.

Best Sound Design

Simpsons Hit 'n' Run - the use of all the real voices is just brilliant, everything makes the right sounds, and hearing minor characters shouting abuse at you from the rear speakers after you've knocked them flying is too funny. Its an amazingly effective part of the great atmosphere of this game.

Mine are going to be Cube-centric, but hey, I still know quality when I see it ;)

Best Controls

Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker - No question this deserves a nod. The camera in this game is solid, the controls are crisp and responsive, and I never feel like I'm waging war to get Link to do something. Bonus points for successfully implementing the boomerang in a new and novel way.

Beyond Good & Evil - Once you get the controls to this down pat, the game is a breeze, and that's the case whether you're walking around normally or tooling around in the hovercraft.

Best Story

Beyond Good & Evil - The story is not new, except maybe for the video game world, but it has some nice progression and is told well. The best part is, you feel like your actions have an effect on the game world, which is a big big plus and makes the story all that more immersive.

Best Original Soundtrack

Beyond Good & Evil - Fantastic soundtrack, very well done. I have it here and listen to it quite frequently.

No pick here, but I loved what I heard of the SSX3 soundtrack.

Best Sound Design

Meh, no idea, I don't play enough games anymore ;)

Best Controls

SSX 3 (PLAYSTATION 2 VERSION) - yeah, this game's got some complicated controls but once you learn them and get good with them, this is the most fun you'll have on the PS2

Viewtiful Joe - Only goes to prove that keeping it simple works... simple as in 2D. All the extra stuff Joe can do only makes the game better.

Best Story

Silent Hill 3 - If a game makes you care about the main character this much, the storyline is the main reason... and damn if I didn't feel sorry for Heather

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - George Lucas should just give up and let these guys handle Episode III

Honorable Mention: Beyond Good and Evil

Best Original Soundtrack - damn, this one was tough

Panzer Dragoon Orta - insane, otherworldly, engrossing, hypnotic, and just plain gorgeous - fits the visualy PERFECTLY

Prince of Persia - Breathtaking combination of Middle Eastern music with traditional pop and orchestral motifs

Honorable Mention: Silent Hill 3, Otogi, Final Fantasy X-2, Xenosaga Episode I - Der Wille Zur Macht

SSX 3 - Just hip enough to stay ahead of the curve and be neither pretentious nor straight-up wack

Amplitude - Fantastic song choices... of course they only sound as good as you're able to play them in this game

Best Sound Design

Project Gotham Racing 2 - very realistic and very helpful in 5.1 when you can't look behind you

Otogi: Myth of Demons - the sound matched the jaw-dropping folklore visuals perfectly... voices come out of nowhere, weird musical instruments pop up here and there... it just made the game that much more believable. Some of the sound effects are a bit monotonous, but when you're Death incarnate destroying buildings with a katana, you can hear them 1,000 times and it never gets old.

Best Controls: Prince of Persia The Sands of Time (played the Xbox version)

Best Story: Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic

Best Original Soundtrack: Beyond Good & Evil

Best Compilation Soundtrack: Project Gotham Racing 2

Best Sound Design: Crimson Skies High Road to Revenge (almost gave this the nod in best original soundtrack too)

Here are my nominations:

Best Controls:

Crimson Skies:High Road to Revenge (Xbox) The feel of this game is excellent. You can easily handle loops,dives, & other aerial maneuvers with no problems.

Best Story:

Star Wars: KOTOR (Xbox) I agree with what has already been said about KOTOR. The story just oulls you in & never gets boring.

Legend of Zelda:The Wind Waker (GameCube) Miyamoto comes up again with a classic game for the ages.

Legend of Zelda:The Wind Waker (GameCube) I don't know why I love it - I just do.

Legend of Zelda Compliation Disc (GameCube) This might not qualify,but I'm nominating it anyway. OOT & MM (not to mention the ole' NES original) make use of some of the best gaming music. Ever.

Best Sound Design:

Return to Castle Wolfenstein (Xbox) I can still remember hearing this on my HT for the first time - & smiling :)

Best Controls

Max Payne 2 on XBOX, without a doubt. Haven't tried the GC/PS2 versions, but the PC one wasn't bad. It just didn't amaze the way the XBOX version did. What I said in an earlier thread here:

Controls are a revelation. Simply superb. Though there are no adjustments for look sensitivity, you do have a quick move mode when you press down the thumbstick. Great for spinning/ looking around quickly. Movement of the crosshair is butter smooth and the analog stick has very little dead-zone (less than RS3). The enjoyment of a game like Max Payne very much depends on the player's ability to aim quickly and aim precisely. Auto-aim is available along with auto-lock-on (whatever that does) but I turned both off at the start and haven't remotely needed them. I've been a very big proponent of a Keyboard & Mouse control scheme for shooters but I'm no longer so sure. The keyboard will always have the drawback of not having analog movement modulation. The controls in Max Payne 2, IMHO, provide the best compromise and if I was in any position of influence I would standardize them for all console shooters. Its makes HALO's controls feel like mush. If all shooters controlled this good I would forget KB & Mouse altogether.

I see alot of nominations for PoP but I've always felt that there was too much delay in the inputs for that title and I never felt completely in control - outside of combat, it was more like locking on to predefined actions and watching an animation, to an extent. Acrobatics was also too easy.

My second pick would be Panzer Dragoon Orta. I said this recently, in this thread:

And what a bloody good game Orta is. I just spent an hour or so glued to the screen and in retrospect, it would have been well worth $40. It's fast, it's visceral, things blow up with an uncanny satisfaction and on top of all that it sports some very snappy controls. There's very little delay between inputs, the shooting is very intuitive (two different weapons on the same button, and interchangeable in a microsecond), and there's plenty of variety in the battle. It's a far cry from the monotonous, rinse-and-repeat, action laundering that's the core of most action games.

I might've mentioned PGR2 but I've come to realize that it's way too twitchy. Even when you aren't pushing the limits. Sims like Sega GT and Gran Turismo pull off the delicacy much better.

Best Story

Didn't play KOTOR. Have hardly played BG&E. I'll sit this one out.

Best Original Soundtrack

Prince of Persia - Breathtaking combination of Middle Eastern music with traditional pop and orchestral motifs

I'm with Anthony. If someone tried to explain it (and I hadn't heard it before), I would probably cringe. But in practice, it works and works very well.

PGR2 or GTA: Double Pack.

Best Sound Design

Simpsons Hit & Run - it captures the essence, the feel, the whole simpsoness brilliantly. Like watching the cartoon.

Best Controls

no real opinion here

Best Story

I'm going to go with Crimson Skies. I like the idea of an alternate past with sky-pirates galore.

Best Original Soundtrack

Even though it can get repetitious at times, and I did have to turn it down a notch, I'm giving Crimson Skies a nod here as well. I like the way it seemed to reach a crescendo right when the action was heaviest.

Best Compilation Soundtracxk

I will vote with GTA:Vice City double-pack even though I didn't play it.

Best Sound Design

Crimson skies. the tight bass of the main guns on the plane is cool, plus the explosions are amazing. This is one of the games I really like to play turned up LOUD.

I see alot of nominations for PoP but I've always felt that there was too much delay in the inputs for that title and I never felt completely in control - outside of combat, it was more like locking on to predefined actions and watching an animation, to an extent. Acrobatics was also too easy.

I'm glad you were the first one to say that, and not me. I so agree with this statement. In fact, I find the POP controls downright frustrating at times because I don't feel "in control."

As for my votes:

Best Controls

Ratchet & Clank 2: Going Commando. The platforming / fighting / shooting elements of this game were set up virtually perfect, camera was never a problem, and the quick-select system was about as good as it gets. One of those games where you forget you're holding a controller at all.

Best Story

Xenosaga. Ridiculously complex, interesting, not cheesy, and novel-quality, IMO.

Honorable mention: KOTOR. Not because of the story and writing itself, which were average IMO, but because of the ways the player can change the story vector by his / her actions.

Best Original Soundtrack

Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge. Loved the feel of this one - really caught the whole Indiana Jones vibe.

No idea on this one.

Best Sound Design

Ghost Recon: Island Thunder. For me, this game's sound design was about what you didn't hear, and that really set up some great suspense.

Best Controls

Wario World: Good controls should be tight, responsive, and intuitive, and Wario World's are all that and more. Although there may not be much of a game backing up the controls, their accuracy makes Wario a joy to play with.

Best Story

Deus Ex 2: Although the story may not have been as good as DX1's, it still stands out above the vast majority of other games. The characters that returned from DX1 played roles that made sense, but some of the revelations were real shockers. The end was also very satisfying, something many games neglect. If not for a weak lead, DX2 would be a clear winner.

Fire Emblem: Fire emblem proves that you don't need a good plot to tell a good story. While the plot is generic RPG fare, the characters and their relationships take center stage and drive the game. Fire Emblem has the best characters this side of Suikoden 2, and they're designed in a consistent manner without some of the "sillyness" seen in a few of Suikoden's characters. Fire Emblem would be deserving of a nomination even without the very deep support conversation system.

Smackdown:HTPC - Finally someone gets the season mode in a wrestling game right and provides a narrative with feuds to play through. While not artistic by any means, the season mode kept me wondering what would happen next and had some surprises as well.

Honorable Mention: Zone of the Enders 2- great anime story with cool characters, Max Payne 2- not as palatable as the first but still pretty strong.

Best Compilation Soundtrack-

True Crime- it would be a crime for any other game to take this award. True Crime has so many songs that when I went into the options to turn off the ones I didn't like, it turned out to be a better deal to tolerate those songs than sift through the 80 million songs in TC's soundtrack to find them. The songs are generally well selected and of high quality. TC could have had half as many songs as it does and it would be excessive.

Best Original Soundtrack- I was going to give the nod to Toe Jam and Earl 3's funk, but apparantly the game came out late last year. In that case, I nominate Fire Emblem and Guilty Gear X2. I think I might give PDO a listen though, since I mainly focused on the graphics when I played it.

Best Sound Design

LOTR:ROTK - the absolute definition of perfect sound design. Loud battles, perfect voice acting from the celebs, soundtrack grabbed straigh from the movie. And I love how the main LOTR theme was occasionally interspersed in some of the battle segments(ie: when you are fighting one of the later battles in the cave escape). No other game even comes close.

Best Controls

Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando

Platformers live or die based on the quality of their controls. Thankfully, this game does not suffer an untimely demise. Insomniac Games took the already excellent control scheme from the first game, tightened it up, and added some new moves including the ability to strafe and lock on to enemies ala Ocarina of Time.

F-Zero GX

When you're piloting a hovercraft traveling at over 1,000 Km/hr, you want to make sure that you have decent control of your vehicle. Anything sluggish will make it impossible do anything other than crash into walls or fly off the side of the track. Nintendo and Sega realized this and made the controls of this game simple, fast, and responsive. What appears to be a pretty simple game becomes incredibly deep and involved. Games like this suggest that Nintendo's simpler-is-better philosophy may not be so insane after all.

Best Story

Beyond Good & Evil

I don't typically care for stories in games, but this is an exception. In short, this is one of the most cinematic games I've ever played and I felt concern for Jade, Pey'j, and the people of Hillys. Ubisoft has mastered the art of telling a story in games as is noted by my other nominee...

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

Unlike BG&E, this is a love story at heart, wonderfully told through its cinematics and the interactions between the Prince and the mysterious Farrah. Their love feels about as real and genuine as love can be between two video game characters. I also want to mention this one because of the wonderful twist and reveal at the end, which I will admit had me believe that time really is like an ocean.

Best Original Soundtrack

Beyond Good & Evil

This eclectic mix of music rouses and soothes. It describes through melodies, the beauty of the planet Hillys, the threat of the DomZ, and emotional weight Jade's plight. Overall, it's one of the best scores I've heard in this generation of gaming.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Koji Kondo writes the most epic video game scores, and The Wind Waker continues his winning streak. To this day, I still catch myself humming the sailing theme and the music of Outset Island, just to name a couple. His music is always endearing and memorable.

icon9.gif

Best Sound Design

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike

Although I ultimately did not care for this game, I do have to admit that it did unleash some killer sound through my speakers. Factor 5 knows how to make their games an audiophiles pleasure ground and the fact that they have all the sounds of the Star Wars catalog and John Williams' classic scores to play with certainly helps their efforts. If you want to show off the GameCube's audio capabilities, this is what you play.

Silent Hill 3

A lot of attention gets paid to the disturbing visuals of this series. However, none of it would be scary at all without some disturbing sounds to go with them. Nothing's more terrifying than walking into a pitch black, bloodstained hallway to hear the sluggish pitter-patter of footsteps coming at you from god knows where. I may have never heard the dying moans of some hideous hell-beast in real life, but I imagine that they would be no different from what the noises the creatures in this game make.