LCVG

Appleseed Trailer

Romier S

:shock:

My mind has been blown.

I figured that would look as good as Metropolis if I was lucky. But it is way, way better than Metropolis in terms of look. I never saw the original Appleseed myself, but that sure as hell won't stop me from checking out this one.

Unrelatedly, has anybody caught the trailer for the new Ghost In The Shell flick? I've heard that one is good too...

Update: I tracked down the GitS2 trailer. It's here...

http://www.innocence-movie.jp/trailer/index.html

Check out the first trailer. Drool-worthy. Not as stunning as the Appleseed trailer, but bloody nice all the same. The convenience store (I'm guessing) shots are worth the download. VERY nice animation.

I guess this will only make it to North America on DVD, right?

Maybe. It's hard to say. Depends on who has the rights for it in N.America, or who purchases those rights. The original Appleseed was distributed here by Manga, and Manga has put anime in limited runs in your various arthouse theaters. That being said, if they do put it out here, it will have bad dubbing. I am not one to knock dubbing outright, but Manga utterly ruined the theatrical releases of both Ghost In The Shell and Perfect Blue with their North American dubbing studio.

If Columbia-Tristar gets ahold of it, probably they'll release it. Arthouse again, as getting anime into American theaters is a pretty hard sell to begin with. Otherwise it will see a DVD release from whoever ponies up the cash. And again, if Manga gets it, it is unlikely that we'll see it for a year at least. That's not meant to be a snide aside either, more like a criticism of the company well-grounded in previous experience.

Originally posted by FutureVoid@Feb 4 2004, 01:28 PM

Supposedly the whole film is CGI believe it or not. Not a big fan of the original Appleseed but this remake looks really killer (hopefully they follow through in the story department).

Well, for what it's worth, this version is supposed to be more closely based on the manga than the first anime was. Of course, I've never read the manga, so I have to take people's word for it that that's a good thing :)

So, what's it about?

In the far future, a relative of the original Johnny Appleseed attempts to reseed the long forgotten apple tree throught the last remaining pacthes of forestin the Neo-Japan region. She is met with fierce resistance from the Neo-Japanese government who send killer robots and mega-soldiers out to eradicate her and the freedom that apple trees represent.

Originally posted by Ruffneck@Feb 5 2004, 02:42 PM

So, what's it about?

In the far future, a relative of the original Johnny Appleseed attempts to reseed the long forgotten apple tree throught the last remaining pacthes of forestin the Neo-Japan region. She is met with fierce resistance from the Neo-Japanese government who send killer robots and mega-soldiers out to eradicate her and the freedom that apple trees represent.

All I heard from that was "killer robots", "fierce resistance", "mega-soldiers", and "eradicate".

I'm so seeing this.

APPLESEED is set in the utopian megacity Olympus after World War III. Bioroids (artificial humanoids) and humans peacefully co-exist in this tranquil environment. Tranquility is shattered when an anti-bioroid terrorist group, led by A.J. Sebastian, wreaks havoc throughout the city. Deunan Knute and her cyborg partner Briareos are special SWAT officers assigned to track down and stop the terrorists! It is an explosive, cyberpunk tale of urban combat! APPLESEED is based on the internationally successful manga created by Masamune Shirow (Black Magic M-66 & Dominion). This OVA is a product of the innovative Gainax Studio (Gunbuster).

http://anime101.jadegrel.net/library/item....hp?seriesid=104