LCVG

Motorsports!

Sam P

I've always had the sneaky feeling that we have a good number of motorsport fans on here. People have mentioned thier love for rallying, etc., so what exactly does everyone watch and why?

Formula 1

Sort of a no-brainer for me. I'm perpetually fascinated by the technology, the rule changes, the everlasting arms race between the tyre makers and the big teams. I love the cachet, the personalities (and even some of the soap-operaness) and the overall big league, exoticness of the whole thing. It is a big, monumentally expensive circus of sorts and it's fun to watch the battle and it's fun to recognize how much is at stake.

I also adore the enthusiasm of some fans - brings a tear down my cheek. Women (and unfortunately, men also) dressed in nothing but Ferrari flags, back of heads dyed to resemble a Ferrari shield, the packed stadiums, all of it.

What I don't like: it's been beaten to death but the lack of passing is a big minus. It's few and far in between but when it does happen it's something to savour.

It's just the general lack of action. Passes from pit stops are hardly exciting. The races aren't tight (too much performance variance), the grids are relatively small, and it's always the same guy out front. Apart from the first corner where I'm holding my breath, there's precious little action to the proceedings.

Still, I watch it faithfully.

Oh, and the noise of the engines is magnificent.

Rallying

I think more than a few of you enjoy this one.

I like the scenery, the landscapes, the whole haphazard, just-run-on-public-roads philosophy. I like the open-endedness (nice change of pace from circuit racing) and I like the variety of locales and surfaces and weather conditions.

I also like to see the drivers and co-drivers really working hard - sawing at the wheel at every turn, pulling the e-brake on the tigher sections, the look of utterly focused concentration on their faces, the co-driver yelling out the pace notes like a well-tuned, rapid-fire machine. I like seeing the machines used and abused, needing repairs between stages and really taking the punishment.

What I don't like so much is the inherent lack of side-by-side racing. Not having a predetermined course to watch and analyse techniques at certain corners. It's fun to watch, but just doesn't quite have the glamour that makes F1 so attractive. Different stages often look the same.

Oh, and the cars sound like crap (on TV, anyway). Like farty, annoying, droning 4 cylinders with no balls.

Formula 3

Saw a tiny bit of this last night. What fantastic racing! The grids are large, the racing is tight, and there is something happening around every corner. There is a constant change of position, people get pushed off the road, there is plenty of contact. The driver-cams also rock, giving you a pristine view of the action. I wish I could watch an entire race in the driver-cams of various cars.

I will make an effort to find more of this stuff.

Nascar

Maybe some of you watch this. I don't.

I can understand the appeal, but it's just not for me. I don't feel drawn to the machines, I don't like the oval circuits, and it has just a tad too much, well, American-ness to it. Big V8s, 4 speed gearboxes, almost-all American marques and teams. The atmosphere, the announcers, the style. This is hardly an insult to American things, it's just not my cup of tea. :)

But like I said, I can see how some would adore it. There's plenty of action here, too.

ALMS / 24 Hrs of LeMans

This I can see myself liking. Haven't had time to really watch it, but I like the modified street cars and the various classes, I like the style of tracks they race on, and I love the endurance portions - really pushes everything to the absolute limit.

What about you guys? Be sure to add categories I didn't discuss!

I am not a big racing fan. But I will occasionaly watch some of the European Formula type races. Those cars just fascinate me and the tracks they race on are top notch. Never really watched Rally racing. NASCAR.... I just don't get. Nothing exciting about turning Left all the time. :)

-Dean-

NASCAR for me! I'm a big fan of the Winston, er, Nextel cup series.

I don't really dig on open wheel racing at all. Every once in a while I'll catch a race on TV, and watch halfheartedly.

I don't make an effort to watch Rallys at all either

Ironically, the Rally videogames are my favorites. I tried the nascar racing games, but haven't found one I like.

Carlos.

I'm a fan of F1 and CART/Champ Cars (for as long as it'll last at least).

F1 is odd because there is such a large gap between the top, middle, and back marker teams, but I also think it's predictablility gives it some of it's appeal.

For one, when you've got a few teams and drivers that are winning the races, it makes it much easier for the sport to create stars, and stars are really the driving factor behind sport. We love to watch the best of the best do what they do best.

Because you have stars though, the people that are expected to win, it also gives the possibility for the greatest drama. As much as we love to see stars master their skill, we love to see them fail just as much. Cheering for the underdog is almost as big a part of sport as anything. When Schumacher gets passed, retires (for any reason, even if it's not his fault), or even gets lapped (by Alonso) it's as big of an event as the Yankees not making it to the World Series.

This last season, IMO, has had the best balance of competition, drama, and a number of star drivers and teams doing what they do best, that I've ever seen.

As much as I loved CART, and it's competitiveness, they have no real stars. In Canada we all cheer for the Canadians, especially Paul Tracy, and would like to see them win every race. In Brazil and Mexico they have their favorites, but they aren't usually the top racers in the sport.

But the fact is that things vary way too much from race to race. One week your favorite driver can have the poll, and lead the entire race. The next he can start in 15th with no chance of winning. It makes for a series with numerous different winners, and usually a fairly close championship battle, but it doesn't quite lend itself to the needed drama that F1 has.

For one, when you've got a few teams and drivers that are winning the races, it makes it much easier for the sport to create stars, and stars are really the driving factor behind sport. We love to watch the best of the best do what they do best.

Great point. Sports and motorsports alike are always more fun when you have a stake in it, when you are rooting for your favorite team or favorite driver. F1 tends to create a few for you, and it drives the fans wild.

Formula 1

Oh, and the noise of the engines is magnificent.

The sounds alone can draw you into an F1 race. I'd love to see/hear one in person.

Rallying

Oh, and the cars sound like crap (on TV, anyway). Like farty, annoying, droning 4 cylinders with no balls.

:lmfao: Again, right on Sam!

And you are right on in your comments too. Down, dirty,... and ultimately more of the human aspect is conveyed with the interaction of the team and the pit crews scrambling to keep the car going.

Formula 3

I've never seen formula 3, but I'm curious now!

ALMS / 24 Hrs of LeMans

I love the LeMans cars, elegant speed!

Also, is there any type of racing with more style. Night time racing on a rainy night, bright headlights bouncing on the pavement, slick reflections piercing the darkness, water showering from the wheels. Good Stuff!

NASCAR

I can watch NASCAR but it doesn't really do much for me either.

And I'll add,

Off-Road Truck racing

I'm talking about the rally type racing with the small and mid-size pick-ups. I also like when they keep the races short and bring them indoors on the small tracks with lots of jumps and tight corners. Engines whining, mud flying and trucks flying through the air,... all in wayyy too close of quarters,... often bouncing off one another in mid-air. Yee-haw racing! :)

Mostly rally (WRC, some idiots with a camera, it doesn't matter). I can watch NASCAR in small bites occassionally. I used to watch more, much more of it a couple years ago but lost interest.

F1 is great at the track (I went to USGP the second year, I think 2001). But I can't stand it in any other form. I have friends who are the same way with baseball.

-j

F1 and WRC

There is no passing in F1 until you get a driver like Michael or Rubens to qualify back in the pack. Then you find out there is passing; and good passing at that.

I do not like racing that is stopped due to sprinkles, too many bugs, whatever. Or racing where they call full course cautions to bunch up the cars if they get too spread out. Or when they full course caution when therer is a single car at a single turn where it's engine dun blowed up (CART).

WRC is just awesome for the reasons mentioned above and the way the drivers push the cars and themselves to the utter edge of performance. I love it when a top driver from another sport gets is a WRC car for a ride. They always come out humbled.

WRC Sweden is on Speed this sunday, don't forget!

Because I'm a McLaren fan anyway, but particularly as we (the company I work for) sponsor the team, and so we get all sorts of cool info about it through work. It just makes their performance mean a bit more than it did anyway.

Ohh, neat! Do you have any juicy gossip for us, Iain? I was really rooting for McLaren last year. Go iceman!

Off-Road Truck racing

I'm talking about the rally type racing with the small and mid-size pick-ups. I also like when they keep the races short and bring them indoors on the small tracks with lots of jumps and tight corners. Engines whining, mud flying and trucks flying through the air,... all in wayyy too close of quarters,... often bouncing off one another in mid-air. Yee-haw racing!

Good call. It's like motocross with elephants. What a riot! They get plenty sideways, they hurl themselves over jumps, and I love watching the punishment and the monster-travel suspensions at work. It demands plenty from the drivers, I have no doubt, but it certainly has the entertainment factor in mind.

Speaking of entertainment, Drifting is really starting to pick up in North America. It's a spectator sport, through and through. Basically, a course is set up and cars go around it (sometimes in pairs, within a foot of eachother) as sideways as possible, as showy as possible, with as much burnt rubber and white tyre smoke as possible. There's plenty of cheering from the crowds, they are encouraged to egg the drivers on, and most first-timers are awe-struck.

The level of delicate car control that these guys have needs to be seen to be appereciated. If there is any form of motorsport that is most like tip-toeing on a knife edge, this is it. In fact, plenty of seasoned motorsport vets, whether it be F1, Touring Car, even WRC, whatever, have a go in these and become completely humbled. The ones that shine are the development test drivers, the unsung heroes of motorsport, IMHO.

Mostly F1 and CART. Some rallying and ALMS.

I like F1 because of the extreme technology, the extreme speed, and the pit babes. ;)

I like CART because of the challenge of racing the worlds fastest closed circuit cars on the most diverse courses. Road courses, street courses, flat ovals, and super speedway ovals. Well, that's what it used to be, until the split in open-wheel racing hurt attendance, ratings, and basically made many tracks unprofitable. But I'll stick with this excellent series, it still has great drivers, great personalities, the best looking US-based race cars, and also some more pit babes. ;) CART will be back on top some day.

Oh, and Tony George can kiss my ass.

Originally posted by Sam P@Feb 6 2004, 06:29 PM

Because I'm a McLaren fan anyway, but particularly as we (the company I work for) sponsor the team, and so we get all sorts of cool info about it through work. It just makes their performance mean a bit more than it did anyway.

Ohh, neat! Do you have any juicy gossip for us, Iain? I was really rooting for McLaren last year. Go iceman!

No juicy gossip, unfortunately, but we do get a Friday blog from the drivers on how the track is feeling after first practice, which is really cool. Ask me again once the season starts up...

No juicy gossip, unfortunately, but we do get a Friday blog from the drivers on how the track is feeling after first practice, which is really cool. Ask me again once the season starts up...

SWEET! I'd LOVE to hear those. Thanks in advance, Iain!

I imagine that Kimi's logs are completely blank, though. This fella just doesn't have much to say. :lol:

I'll be rooting for McLaren when Montoya moves over next year.

Speaking of Monty, I gotta dig up that video where he gets hit by a camera man. Obviously annoyed, his next words were, "you broke my fucking head!".

:lmfao:

P.S. The front of the new Williams car looks like a vacuum cleaner.