LCVG

Star Wars : Republic Commando

Chris F

Didn't seem like there were any posts about this FPS based on the Unreal engine. Lucasarts had a pre-rendered trailer at the 2003 E3, but not much has been seen of it since. It's to be released on the Xbox and PC.

Here's the Press Release:

http://www.lucasarts.com/press/releases/74.html

Here are some new screenshots:

http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=15918

I've seen some other screenshots where it looks like they've taken the whole idea of looking through a helmet from Metroid Prime.

So far it looks pretty nice, but there are so many FPS games coming out this year, this will need something other than the SW licence to stand out.

I had also read it was going to be squad based, perhaps something like the Rainbow Six series. That would be very cool I think!

Originally posted by iCamp@Feb 5 2004, 04:21 PM

The helmet view is Metroid-ish. As a more straight forward shooter I suspect they will offer the proper control scheme Metroid lacked, however.

I thought Metroid's controls were perfect for what kind of game it was. Metroid is more about exploration and puzzle solving and less about shooting stuff.

Metroid is more about exploration and puzzle solving and less about shooting stuff.

I completely agree. That said, I think that SW:RC is going for a shooter/tactical kind of game, which would probably fall under the exact control scheme as Halo, or Rainbow Six.

The comparison to Metroid comment I made was purely for the images that show an in-helmet view. The moment I saw those I thought to myself, "Wow, just like Metroid Prime."

Once we get some more concrete information, I'm sure we'll find out more about the control scheme, the game, etc. But so far it's piqued my interest a bit.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I've given the demo a whirl. I think at least in the demo they did a good job with the A.I. being your team. Has anyone noticed the different weapons you can use. You can set your own squad mates in different positions and depending on those they snipe or use the grenade launcher. The other thing I like is that when you breach a door one of the team always throws a frag into the middle of the room right as the door is opened. He kinda does a behind the back underhand toss, so look for it because it's pretty awsome when he does it. I also like that little retractable punch knife you have on your left hand (sweet). Controls are very much like HALO 2. We'll have to see how this one does, is fun to play.

Originally posted by Mithran@Dec 12 2004, 03:14 AM

The other thing I like is that when you breach a door one of the team always throws a frag into the middle of the room right as the door is opened.

I also realized that you can hack the system (click on the control panel next to the door) if you want to open the door but don't want a dynamic entry.

I also got f'ed up and collapsed. In the game, I mean. Anyway, I fell down and couldn't move or see well. Two options popped up on the screen, "Continue Orders" and "Revive Me." Or something to that effect. So I was able to tell my boys to finish the bad guys and then come revive me. That was a neat mechanic and slightly tense since I wasn't sure it would work.

I'm curious to know how the Live component will work. Do you think each human will control a team with AI commandos (a la Full Spectrum Warrior) or will everyone be humans (a la Rainbow Six 3)?

-j

I don't have live anymore but I tend to think every character will be played by humans. It looks like their is only room for four commandos to do the job. Eight would not be good especially since there are not a whole lot of covered posiitons. I think the AI would get in each other way if you had 8. I didn't know about the hacking the door. Maybe somewhere in the game you can get a snake camera like Sam Fisher (hell I don't know for sure if you have one it just fits this discussion about recon room first) has and if there is only one guy in the room I can see hacking it. But if there are more than one guy in a room I want a to prep before entry.