LCVG

Nintendo 64 on 16:9 monitor

Angel P

I recently picked up a used N64 for $15 with the intention of playing one of my all-time favorite games, Doom 64. Although I have the Pelican Selector Pro, I tried to do a quick hook-up on my Toshiba 50h80 calibrated set and found the picture quality very, very dark. Although I'm no expert, I figure that it has to do with the N64 only outputing a composite signal while the set is better with S-Video or component. (If I'm off base here, someone please correct and educate me.) :)

What can I do, other than play on another tv, to enjoy Doom 64? Like I mentioned, I've yet to try it on the Pelican but am holding off since I'd hate to go through all that trouble of getting behind my stand and f***ing around with all those cables back there, only to get the same results. Any ideas?

I remember having a lot of issues with the images on my N64 being too dark. I usually turned up the brightness about 5 clicks in order to see better. If it's not too inconvenient, and if you're only going to own the system for this one game, why not do the same?

I don't know if its a problem with the NTSC machines, but potential PAL 64 owners out there should be warned that the fancy iMac-style translucent colour N64s the UK got don't actually output S-Video, only composite, due to stupid cost-cutting measures. Also, none of them output RGB. Arrgh.