LCVG

Star Wars Trilogy DVDs to be announced next week?

JFo

I noticed this report over at TheForce.Net and thought I'd share. Here's an exerpt:

Our source says next Tuesday (2/10) will bring official word that the Special Edition versions of Star Wars: A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return Of The Jedi will be released in a four disk set on September 21 of this year.

If that's the case, Lucas is about to piss off a lot of people. I for one will be disappointed but not enraged to the point of clubbing a baby seal. I've never viewed the SEs as the travesties so many others make them out to be. In fact, I like a lot of the changes, such as the new footage added to the Battle of Yavin.

Besides, I also have the original versions of each film on Laserdisc. Excuse me while I go hug them. :)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see why seamless branching couldn't be used so people could choose between the Original and SE versions, so everybody is happy...:sigh:

I think both versions are good and both have their place. The new additions were cool to me as a Star Wars nut, like getting to see some of the deleted footage redone and worked in again, and I saw all 3 SE's at their first showing their opening days. However, I'm also one of those "I'd like to see the film as it was originally presented in theaters" nutbars, and that includes when directors later take a hard revisionist stance so as to make the original version of the film practically unavailable.

Besides, I also have the original versions of each film on Laserdisc. Excuse me while I go hug them.

That might have something to do with why you don't get all worked up about the DVD's. Bastard! ;)

I'm glad you started this thread Jeffrey since it should be a great test. The one thing that brings so many a discussion down to its knees is the Star Wars Trilogy. I'm interested to see how the membership here handle the announcement/news.

In fact, I like a lot of the changes, such as the new footage added to the Battle of Yavin

I also like a great many of the changes done to the Special Editions however for every good change (battle sequences at Yavin, added Bespin footage, new added sequences to Tatooine) there is something that really irks me personally (Jabba in A New Hope, Greedo shooting first, the entire new Jabba dance sequence in ROTJ...*VOMIT*). I would like to avoid the regular George Lucas slogging that goes along with a Star Wars discussion and try to stick to talking directly about the films because in the end they are the important part. If anything I won't be giving the " DAMN HIM IM NOT BUYING!" speech. I've waited for the DVD release of the original trilogy too long not too and I'll be there on day one regardless.

I am hoping that George sees the importance of archiving a little bit of history and releasing the trilogy in its original form. Its really whats near to my heart and they are the versions I would love to one day show my children and let them experience what I experienced when I was young.

Well, to keep it short, the movies I saw in the theaters way back in the day are what I fell in love with. It goes without saying that that is what I want to see on the DVD release. I will buy them either way & I'm not going to throw a fit or threaten George Lucas' life (there are plenty of others who will) but I would prefer the DVDs to contain the movie that I actually saw and loved in the theater.

Since I picked up a really good set of the originals on DVD off of ebay I could care less what money grubbing lucas releases. I still have my THX copies on laserdisc as well but I just can't bare to buy another set of these movies from Lucas. Not to mention that if they only release the special editions it would just be a shame.

I could care less what money grubbing lucas releases

Again I want to mention to please keep the general Lucas apathy to an exteme minimum. Star Wars is in fact his property and if you disagree with something being done surely it can be presented in a manner that doesn't require throwing out insults etc..

Well, I'm glad that they're coming, and I won't throw a hissyfit because it's only the Special Editions and not the original versions simply because Lucas has given absolutely no indication that he has had any plans to do so. In fact, everything has pointed to the opposite as far as I can remember.

I enjoy the Special Editions enough, so bring em on!

I don't see why seamless branching couldn't be used so people could choose between the Original and SE versions, so everybody is happy...:sigh:

I really wonder if seamless branching would actually be a viable option to get the movies back to their absolute original state. There's a lot of subtle changes to the movies besides the additional scenes and added special effects. They also did some work on cleaning up many of the obvious matte lines (although not enough work IMO), minor dialog changes, as well as the whole thing with not actually showing people getting hit with the lazer bolts anymore.

Not to mention that you'd have to have entire sequences of the movie on the disc twice anyway because of the FX changes. In the end it would probably be easier to just have two seperate versions of the movie.

Of course, it truly would be seamless branching then. Just two big branches.

I also like a great many of the changes done to the Special Editions however for every good change (battle sequences at Yavin, added Bespin footage, new added sequences to Tatooine) there is something that really irks me personally (Jabba in A New Hope, Greedo shooting first, the entire new Jabba dance sequence in ROTJ...*VOMIT*).

I think that's how most fans feel. However, after Greedo, my biggest issue with the SEs is that they spent all this time and effort to "fix" so much, and add in these scenes, yet they didn't fix some of the most obvious technical goofs and eyesores (Ben's light saber, Vaders white saber, those god awful mattes on the Rancor). Obviously they spent way too much time on making Jabba not look like Jabba that they ran out of time for those half day jobs.

My only beef with the SE's is, yes, Greedo shooting first, because it makes Han Solo less edgy and Greedo waaaay more stupid.

I'd suggest double-disc releases of the whole thing, myself. Or a simultaneous release of the SE's and the originals, which would make for some fascinating 'what does the public want' comparisons.

Moving on from the rather obvious decision to only release the Special Ed. cuts, as I don't think anyone who has followed this over the years expected anything else, I'm intruiged by the 4-disc set thing.

The argument given by Lucas for these taking so long was to create all the extras and stuff he wanted. Now we find out that all these things for the three films in total either amount to no more than a discs's worth, or we're getting a packed first disc for each film and the image bandwidth comes under question.

I'm willing to wait and see what happens, but will they look as good as Episode 2 did, or as bad as Episode 1?

I liked a few of the changes in the special editions. I really liked the added scene with Luke meeting up with Biggs again because it made me connect with that character in a way that I had never done in the original version. I also liked the changes they made to the Death Star battle - the original effects truly aged badly and the new stuff they did kept the spirit of the original style while lending better clarity to what was happening.

I generally liked the new stuff they did with Empire, like the extra wampa bit and the new effects for Bespin. Jedi I pretty much didn't like anything they added, although I suppose the new ending is better than "Yub-Yub" :)

Like most people, though, I think the Greedo change was crippling to the entire film and Jabba was pointless - not only did he look bad but the scene is completely redundant. The new effects they added for Mos Eisley, while well-intentioned, generally don't work, IMO. With Empire, the thing that drives me almost as crazy as the Greedo thing is Luke screaming like a wuss when he drops away from Vader, and I don't think the added Vader stuff is very good, either. And I also agree that it was disappointing that they didn't do more actual cleaning up of matte lines.

While I don't froth at the mouth the way some people do about the special editions, I will admit that I'm not going to buy a version of Star Wars that doesn't include the original versions. I've managed to live a few years without watching Star Wars at all (which would have been inconceivable to me growing up) so it won't kill me to go even more years without these movies. I know they're Lucas's movies and he can do what he pleases with them, but I think he's being a fool by denying people a choice in the matter. I know people like to call him Luca$ and act like he's a money-grubber, but that can't be true because my money's right here and I want to give it to him but he's stubbornly refusing to take it.

I'll purchase them no matter what editions are released, although like most people I would strongly prefer them to be the original versions. Also like most people, the changes that urk me the most about the Special Editions are: Greedo shooting first (supposedly being changed back in the Archival Edition?), Jabba in A New Hope, Luke's scream as he falls after his hand is chopped off, Vader's additional dialogue (it worked much better with "Bring my shuttle") and the musical number in Jedi.

Here's hoping the announcement does indeed come on Tuesday! :)

I will probably buy them because I didn't buy the SE's on laserdisc but I won't be getting rid of my Definiitve Collection laserdisc(including the coffee table book) anytime soon. I thought about boycotting the release but I've realized that they will sell regardless of what we think because there are plenty of folks who don't care what version they get. They will sell well no matter what.

My only beef with the SE's is, yes, Greedo shooting first, because it makes Han Solo less edgy and Greedo waaaay more stupid.

I think they're changing this back for the DVDs, along with adding all those new special effects to Obi-Wan's death in Episode IV. (That is unless those changes are for a future super-duper box set.)

I'll be buying whatever is released this fall.

I've got the originals on Laserdisc, which I will someday burn onto DVD. So I'll buy whatever versions FOX and LUCASFILM put out. The only things I HATE about the special editions are Greedo shooting first and Luke's girly scream. Everything else doesn't bother me enough to make any noise over it.

Here's hoping it gets announced on Tuesday.

Cheers.

J.

It's amazing that these may finally be announced. Like many others, I got into DVD back in '97 and for the longest time these were THE MOVIES people were amped about buying - only to find out they weren't available. When Episode I came out and Lucas maintained that the Original Trilogy wasn't going to be out until Eps I, II, and III were complete various internet forums were OUTRAGED. Five years felt like such a long wait.

Lucas has stuck to his guns about not releasing them until Episode 3 was finished, and I'm a bit surprised. 5 years ago I'd have been thrilled that these bad boys were on the way.

Now, I'm still geeked that they're on the way, but I can't help but also feel a bit "meh." I love the original trilogy and picked up the Laserdiscs from Ken Cranes for $10 each about 5 years ago. But, the question I have is this: Will this become the must-have set that everybody will have to own? Had they been released a few years ago, a lot of consumers would be walking out with a DVD player in one hand and a Star Wars boxset in the other.

There have been a lot of big releases since since DVD has been around. The Matrix, The Lord of the Rings, Cabin Boy.... the list goes on and on. Is Star Wars going to just blow away all the records that were set by those titles? (Well, Cabin Boy's sales record is nigh-untouchable.) I don't know.

I hope this post doesn't come across as being bitter, I'm geniunely curious if the "waiting game" strategy myself and many others knocked will pay off for Lucas, or if Star Wars will be just another "AAA" title that's being released on DVD.

Nevertheless, I'll be buying the boxset on release date.

HA! I don't have any versions of these movies, so I am all over these. The quality (sound and picture) will make it worth it no matter what. Also, I read a little while ago that they will be modifying the movies further to sync better with episodes I-III... if that is true, then there will be even more for "fans" to complain about, though I think that will be good.

I hope this post doesn't come across as being bitter, I'm geniunely curious if the "waiting game" strategy myself and many others knocked will pay off for Lucas, or if Star Wars will be just another "AAA" title that's being released on DVD.

I'm quite curious also, and while I think it will do well, I don't think it's release will quite have the impact it would have a few years ago.

Lucas didn't want the Star Wars movies to drive sales of the DVD format, and since players are dirt cheap now, and anyone who would really care enough to want the SW movies on DVD probably already has one, that certainly isn't going to be the case.

On top of that, I don't think that these DVDs will be the ones that push the DVD format to it's limits, or give us something new and amazing that we haven't already seen on other big title releases, and the wait has just made expectations grow as fans go from "I'd just be happy with barebones" to "I want the SEs, Originals, amazing sound, amazing picture, 10 commentaries, and every shred of bonus video footage that was ever filmed about Star Wars in the last 26 years".

Plus, for many people, LOTR has surpassed Star Wars as their favorite trilogy of movies, and those DVDs ARE something special.

Plus, for many people, LOTR has surpassed Star Wars as their favorite trilogy of movies, and those DVDs ARE something special.

Exactly. As you said, the wait for these went from fans begging for a bare-bones release to sky-high expectations.

I was one of the people begging for the bare-bones release, actually. While my expectations aren't as high as many others - I'm actually just happy that the movies will be on the way - there's a chance people will bring the DVDs home and think "I waited 5 years for this? Where's the cream filling???"

I will be approaching the releases from the standpoint of gaining some wonderful movies that I can share with my kids. I will be seeing it with them for the first time and do not place too much importance on the changes, because it may be the only way they ever see the films (unless an "Archive Edition" or some other marketing BS is used to justify yet another purchase of the same movies).

I do value keeping the originals intact, but will not wait indefinitely for something that may never materialize. YMMV