LCVG

Amiga Computer

Bruce B

Anyone have an Amiga computer? At the time it was the cats ass for gaming. There was an adapter so that you could hook it up to your tv. It had a great football game(the name eludes me right now) and maybe the best sim baseball game ever, Earl Weaver Baseball. That game was great! Best thing about it was you could change the name of a player to your name, and if you spelled your name phonetically, the announcer would say your name when you came up to bat. I dont understand with todays technology why you cant make that happen with todays consoles. Anyway, I played the hell out of that computer. Anyone else have one?

Never owned an AMiga, but I loved Commodore to the core. Was in college when Amiga hit it's stride and all the labs on campus were XT PCs, so that's what I bought after my C64. Friends had the Amiga though, probably the best gaming PC (in it's timeframe) ever released. Especially loved two games: Star Control 2 and Battleforce. SC2 is well known and loved, Battleforce was/is a freeware version of P&P Battletech universe, probably the best conversion ever made. I wish it could get updated and released these days, it's gaming gold.

I had an Amiga 1000, 500, and 3000 (with 18MB of RAM!).

I used to love playing Psygnosis games, Llamatron, and Speedball 2 (do the Bitmap Bros. still make games?).

I remembered having to install the RAM into my A3000. The RAM was actual chips (none of this fancy SIMM or DIMM RAM for dummies) with thin legs that had to be carefully pressed into each chip socket. I accidentally bent one of the legs of my precious chips while installing it and almost cried.

Ah the memories! :lmfao:

Lemmings 2: The Tribes

I LOVE this game.

It was just right in terms of challenge, I found. I actually made it through a few of the tribes, which was shocking enough given my quick 'argh' factor with puzzle games.

Shadow lemmings ruled, that Mission: Impossible near-riff theme song was brilliant.

The Amiga is one of my all time favorite systems.

I still have my 1084s monitor but sadly the Amiga is gone.

I had an Amiga 500 with the dual external disc drive (that was awesome for multidisk games). The powersupply died on me and I ended up getting a Bodega Bay expansion (it was cheaper than the replacement power supply) but never did anything w/ it.

There were so many great games on the Amiga and the graphics were almost as good as many things today (especially the Psygnosis stuff).

I had soooo many games for it I could never even approach playing them all...

Geez, you guys are really taking me down memory lane!

I had an Amiga 500/3000. Too many great games to mention!!!

Remember the original Shadow of the Beast?!??! From none other than Reflections, who now are making Driv3r. Beast was to die for, back then. Such graphics, killer music!!!!

Anytime I reminesce of the Amiga, it always makes me remember the dawn of Bullfrog/Peter Molyneux. One of my fave developers and game creators.

Populous, Populous II, Warmonger, Syndicate Wars, ahh...the memories.

Oops, almost forgot about Psygnosis...they really made Da Shit for the Amiga. I believe they published Shadow of the Beast. Infestation was an extrememly early, pre-Wolfenstein 3d, first person shooter. It was slow paced, very sci-fi, flat shaded polygons, but had this really cool sampled breathing sound that would rise or fall as you got tired or relaxed.

I think your name was Kal Solar and you had to wipe out this infestation in an underground reseach facility on a far away moon.

How about "Hired Guns"? Suh Weet!!!! Playing 4 people at the same time, all with their own fps view in their own little window all on one screen. Got pretty confusing at times but, what atmosphere...

I loved those days...

Some other favorites -

Sword of Sodan with its HUGE characters was my first game (for the Amiga).

Psygnosis game intros were almost better than the games - I could watch the opening to "Blood Money" over and over.

"Stunt Car Racer"? I'm not sure if that was the name but it was a 3D first person driving game with rollercoaster like tracks.

The Dragon's Lair/Space Ace conversions were shockingly impressive and I still don't know how they got the intro to load so fast. The disk would click in and by the time you leaned back in your seat it was playing.

I recall a very bloody fighting game where you could rip/chop peoples heads off anyone remember that?

Originally posted by Zathras@Feb 13 2004, 03:10 PM

I recall a very bloody fighting game where you could rip/chop peoples heads off anyone remember that?

Its quite possible you're thinking of the legendary Moonstone. Utter genius, bloody hilarious, hilariously bloody, clinically addictive but bugged to hell; I got to the last boss twice only to have it crash on me so I'd have to start all over.

Ah when looking up pictures of moonstone I came across another classic:

Shufflepuck Cafe - its like Pong but IN SPACE!!!!

And what was the one that you were a Q-Bert looking guy platforming around (and around and around) the outside of a tower. That was quite fun if I recall correctly?

And what was the one that you were a Q-Bert looking guy platforming around (and around and around) the outside of a tower.

Gah, I remember this one, it was renamed for the NES I think. The guy looked like Q*Bert crossed with a pig :P.

I want to say Crystal Towers, but I don't think that's it.

The "tower" game is Nebulus, originally on the Spectrum, I believe, and ported to other platforms.

I find it amusing how many DMA games have been namechecked in this thread.

And the Bitmap Brothers are still going, just much smaller scale than before. They recently completed a 3D WW2 "action/RTS" hybrid that got some positive press in the UK, but little attention in the US that I can remember.