LCVG

HD DVR

Guest Bryan

<Took pix offline>

The dvr is the same size as my Sony dvd player. I have it raised above the dvd player by an inch to dissipate heat.

<Took pix offline>

This is the primary menu for program listings.

<Took pix offline>

This menu pops up when you select a show from the first menu.

<Took pix offline>

Here you can edit recording options - rec times, one episode or recurring, how long to keep recording.

<Took pix offline>

This list shows programs already recorded. Hit the green "LIST" button to see this.

<Took pix offline>

Here is the remote.

<Took pix offline>

Recorded CSI is starting. The commercial is not in widescreen, hence the black bars on the side.

<Took pix offline>

Opening of CSI

<Took pix offline>Opening of CSI

The pix were snapped this morning, so the photos are not my best. There is some glare on the right side of most shots.

The unit was easy to hook up after delivery. I have a coaxial digital audio cable going to my receiver and stereo hookup going straight to the monitor. Time Warner supplied a high quality Monster cable for connecting the Explorer 8000HD to my Samsung. The interface for selecting and recording shows is simple and effective. You can record two shows simultaneously, but cannot watch a third channel during that time - understandable IMO. You can call up your recorded shows with the green LIST button and choose one by cycling through with the up / down buttons on the remote. Once you select a program to watch, you can start from the beginning, skip to the end, or fast forward and rewind through the program at one of three speeds. The recorded shows looks about as good as live broadcasts so far. The digital sound is also right up there with the original broadcast. Pausing causes the image to look a little rough, but I don't watch paused shows, do I? I am very pleased with the DVR and feel it is worth lots more than the extra $4.95 per month it costs.

I'd be happy to answer any questions or test anything you guys are curious about. Just let me know.

Comcast (at least in my area) is also offering a HD-DVR, although I'm not sure that it's necessarily the same thing. You can record a show while you watch a different one, which is nice, but you have to view the recording within 30 hours. I don't even know that you need a new box, I think it may be a streaming video type of thing. The HD-DVR service is $12.95 extra per month, standard digital is $9.95.

Do you get both coax and fiber optic digital audio outs with this? I have the non-HD version which only has coax available for the digital audio, which has been kind of agravating, mostly due to my receiver's non asignable inputs. I'm still waiting for my call from TW with my upgrade to the HD unit, was supposed to come last month. :(

Originally posted by FreakTornado@Feb 8 2004, 01:40 PM

So it doesn't use DVI?

How much record time is there?

Ed,

It does have a DVI port. I do not have a cable to hook it up to my DLP yet, but will soon. /Homer voice/ Mmm... pure digital!

40 hours of HD record time.

I finally ordered one for myself! It should be here sometime Thursday afternoon.

Bryan, I do have a question for you. On my current HD cable box, I have to use the analog audio cables for for the analog channels, while the digital channels obviously use the digital coax cable. On this new box, can I ditch the analog cables and use the digital cable for all the channels?

I'll have to check Jeff. I just went ahead and hooked the analogs up because that is the way it worked on the old box. Would be nice to ditch one more cable from that conglomeration behind the scenes!

I saw my friendly TWC installer guy in the hallway at my apartment on Friday and inquired about the HD-DVR boxes. He said they were supposed to start issuing them in February, so fingers crossed...

I'll have to get on the horn and see if someone at the office has any better info (yeah, right)...

I finally got my hands on the 8000HD DVR box today. I haven't had much of a chance to play around with it yet though. I do have some HD Discovery shows set to record as well as The Tonight Show, so I'll be able to test it out its recording capabilities within the next 24 hours.

I will go into greater detail once I've had a chance to really try it out. However, I'll say that, with all of the new features available, it's a vast improvement over my old cable box, which seemed pretty barebones compared to some of the better satellite set top boxes. I have yet to decide though if I like the recording setup better than on my ReplayTV.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my HD-PVR from Insight Cable. They offer the Motorola 6208. Right now it is a single tuner, which means you can only record one thing at a time and only watch what you are recording. According to Insight, the 6408 should roll out sometime this fall with two tuners.

Although I don't have an HD compatible set yet, I can tell how great my HD channels are gonna look once I get one. Right now I get the downconverted signals for HDNet, Discovery HD, and the local CBS station.

Probably my biggest gripe about the box that Insight offers is the guide system. It is some TV Guide based system that is terrible. I liked the guide system on my old digital box much better. Hopefully they will decide to go with something a little more robust on the 6408.

All in all, I think HD recording is a great thing! Nothing like recording a hockey game in HD to show all your friends when they come over (even if I am still using a lowly 27 inch Wega!) :).

Edit: Picture of Moto 6208 added.

moto6208.jpg