LCVG

Final Fantasy XII

Romier S

Screens can be found here:

http://www.the-magicbox.com/Feb04/game020704a.shtml

There are about 6 pages worth of new screenshots. This new FF title is of course being headed up by the folks who brought you FF Tactics and FF Tactics Advanced. The man directly in charge is also responsible for some of Squares lower key games (Vagrant Story being one). Anyone else also getting a distint Vagrant Story feel from those screenies? (I do and Im liking it!)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I've read the traditional turn-based system is out?

Yes. As are the random encounters. The game features a real time/turn based hybrid combat system apparently. The new system will also allow you to move your characters around the combat area much like Vagrant Story. (not too suprising considering the director of FFXII is one of the folks responsible for that game). No more characters standing in a straight line across from each other. I know hardcore FF fans are somewhat upset to hear that but both of these changes sound like a step in the right direction to me. This is the first Final Fantasy game I've been excited about since FFVII. The production values will no doubt be impressive, the man behind Tactics and Vagrant is heading this one up and the game just has a really interesting look to it.

One thing I am hoping is that Square Enix makes the series more interactive and less cinematic. I certainly appreciate the cinematic flair that comes with an FF title but there needs to be more interactivity with both the environment and the characters and less emphasis on lengthy cutscenes IMHO. If they are to include the same level of cutscenes found in say FFX, I do hope they implement something similiar to Xenosaga which allows you to pause and skip over the cutscene (after you've watched it once) to your liking.

• 3 weeks later...

The battle system almost sounds like the one in Arc the Lad: ToS, which would be a good thing if they implemented it while keeping the other FF elements intact. However, I've also read that the traditional FF post-battle fanfare has been cut. That borders on blasphemy. They may as well not have chocobos or a Cid character either.

At any rate, this game already has huge hurdles to overcome in my eyes as long as it stars a she-male as a main character. My best hope at this point is that s/he is redesigned, or at least killed off early in the game.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not looking forward to this one. Though I haven't looked forward to a Final Fantasy game since FF7. FF8, FF9, and FF10 were all big let downs imo.

I wish though that Square can pull off some magic and make a FF game that is enjoyable to me once again.

• 1 year later...
At any rate, this game already has huge hurdles to overcome in my eyes as long as it stars a she-male as a main character. My best hope at this point is that s/he is redesigned, or at least killed off early in the game.

Heh heh heh heh

You realize people could probably make the same remarks about Tidus, Zidane, Squall, and possibly even Cloud...

(prepares for flames)

It's already on the buy list thanks to the demo that came with Dragon Quest VIII. I loved the new battle system and will be using the "Wait" mode in the final game as it personally fits my play style a little more. I'm not overly hot on the main character design either, but the rest of the world looks lovely.

• 1 month later...

Eurogamer has thier import review of Final Fantasy XII up and it's very positive. They loved the new combat system, the setting, and the story. Give it a read here:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=63936

Final Fantasy XII is hands-down the best instalment in the series since VII. There, we said it. It succeeds on just about every imaginable level, combining a loveable and well-designed cast and suitably twist-ridden storyline with the most unique slant on the series' traditional turn-based combat system since it went all tactical to stunning effect. The variety, attention to detail and imagination piled into this small cross section of Ivalice would suggest that returning to the somewhat underused source material of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance was nothing if not a stroke of genius. The beautiful architecture and interaction of the various races is far better suited to a fully fledged adventure such as this and every location is a pleasure to discover and explore for this very reason. You'll never tire of returning to familiar locales, be it for the main narrative or one of the many side-quests that the game throws at you, so much so that you might even find yourself churning out pieces of creative writing about your time in Ivalice.

Nice. I'm really looking forward to this one. I always have fond memories of the time spend playing FF games, and this looks to set me up for another well-spent winter. With the looming release, we should be seeing character designs for FFXIII any time now.

It's funny. I still haven't even opened my copy of Dragon Quest VIII that has the demo in it. I was really geeked to try it' date=' but just haven't gotten around to it.

Glen[/quote']

I opened my copy, played the game for about an hour and was planning on going back to it and the demo once I finished my career in NFSMW. That was in Janurary.

• 2 months later...

Final Fantasy XII and a Collector's Edition are due on October 31st!

http://www.gameinformer.com/NR/exeres/95E25F29-729C-41C0-88BE-4D897CB6692A.htm

-Steel Book Case

-Developer's Interviews

-History of Final Fantasy Featurettes

-Final Fantasy XII U.S. Trailers

-Final Fantasy XII Japan Trailers

-Final Fantasy XII Art Gallery

“We are proud to bring our GameStop and EB Games customers this exclusive collector’s edition for the PlayStation 2," said Bob McKenzie, Senior Vice President of Merchandising for GameStop. “This latest edition of the franchise promises to resonate with customers and define itself as one of the finest within the rich Final Fantasy history.”

Final Fantasy XII retail for $49.99 and $59.99 for the Collector's Edition.