LCVG

Just finished building my new PC

Whiskers

I almost bought an Apple Imac, but work access problems on my wife's side pooped on that plan.

So.....I looked around on the 'net, and also local vendors, but I couldn'd find a pre-built that matched my needs perfectly. So, I ended up spec'ing a system through a local parts warehouse in town. They had everything in stock, so I picked it up and took it all home. Took me about 3 hours to get it up and running.

This is what I ended up with:

Lian LI PC-61 Black computer case

Asus P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard

Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz 512k 800MHz w/ Hyper threading

512K Crucial PC3200 DDR

Antec TruPower 480w power supply

Seagate 80GB 7200 rpm 8MB cache S-ATA drive

Plextor 708A DVD+/-RW drive

Asus 52x CDROM

Sapphire Atlantis 9600XT 128MB AGP card, TV-out,DVI

BenQ FP-991 19" LCD 1280x1024 DVI (huuuge difference over analogue)

Creative Labs I-Trigue 3300 2.1 speakers

Onboard 5.1 sound

Onboard Gigabit LAN

Microsoft Wireless Optical Keyboard and Mouse

Windows XP Home Edition

Based on the money I had to spend, I am VERY pleased with it's performance. It has renewed my interest in PC gaming and also gotten me more interested in the 'tweak' and 'mod' side of things. No fancy blue cathode tubes....yet!

If there is some interest, I'll post some pic's....otherwise, keep moving...nothing to see here.

Looks good man. It's always a joy when you have a brand spanking new computer to mess with.

If you happen to play FPS's at all, let me know what you think of the wireless mouse. I've been wanting one for a really long time, but I play so many FPS's and I'm not sure if it would be a good idea. I'd be pissed if my frineds started kicking my ass on LAN night! :x

I love that case whiskers. Nice set-up all around. Got any pics under the hood? :green:

If you happen to play FPS's at all, let me know what you think of the wireless mouse.

I have the Logitech Cordless MX Duo, wireless mouse and keyboard, and I love them both. They work fantastic with games, including FPS. The mouse is even more accurate and responsive than my old wired optical logitech mouse,... and that mouse was very good. I'd highly recommend this set if you are looking into a wireless setup .

Originally posted by JTello@Feb 8 2004, 05:32 PM

I love that case whiskers. Nice set-up all around. Got any pics under the hood? :green:

If you happen to play FPS's at all, let me know what you think of the wireless mouse.

I have the Logitech Cordless MX Duo, wireless mouse and keyboard, and I love them both. They work fantastic with games, including FPS. The mouse is even more accurate and responsive than my old wired optical logitech mouse,... and that mouse was very good. I'd highly recommend this set if you are looking into a wireless setup .

Thanks JTello. That is just what I wanted to hear. I think I'll make a trip to BB this week and give your recommendation a try.

Does that case have a chimney fan? With an opening on the top of the case? If so that is the exact case I was going to buy. How do you like it? It was the only one I found that was simple in design without a stupid side window or other needless bling that you see on cases these days.

I have the logitech cordless elite duo, keyboard and mouse. I use it to play day of defeat all the time with zero problems. I love the cordless keyboard also, its so nice not having cords leading to the back of my desk and getting stuck.

Love my new mouse and keyboard! Going wireless is the only way to go. I've played quite a bit of Half Life, and Quake since setting it up. I haven't noticed any problems whatsoever. Actually, I think it's a bit better than my old, tailed mouse.

I love that case whiskers. Nice set-up all around. Got any pics under the hood?

I'll see if I can get some taken and put up today. The guts aren't all that pretty...wires all over the place. I want to pick up some round IDE cables etc. for the clean up.

That's a great looking setup. If only my computer work areas were so clean.

It's clean because I knew I was going to take pic's to share. My desk is usually covered in clutter...numerous kleenex boxes to be sure! BAAHAHAHA! :lmfao:

Hey, 640K of memory should be enough for anybody.

My bad....change "K" to "MB" :lol:

Does that case have a chimney fan? With an opening on the top of the case? If so that is the exact case I was going to buy. How do you like it?

Yes, it does have the blow hole at the top. It does a nice job of venting any warm attic air straight out. No hot, dead spots to speak of. The max case temperature I've noticed was 29 deg. celcius...considerably cooler than my old case with AMD T'Bird. That rig had steam coming out the back all the time, although I think it was more the CPU than the case. I must admit that I am quite smitten with this new case. It was quite expensive, around $220.00 CAN with power supply but I figured what the hell. I'm going to get what I want, rather than what is the cheapest. It has a lot of nice features in it, my favorite being the slide out mobo plate...follow LINKY for more details.

GP....I haven't totally given up on the Mac yet. My immediate needs were to get a replacement for the main computer in the house. Thats now done. I would LOVE to get an Apple laptop this year if at all possible...it may not be a Powermac due to the cost, but an iBook may just be the ticket. I was very impressed with the Apples when I was looking, so the idea is still a possibility!

Hey Whiskers,

My brother was just looking to get a computer set up and i'm just starting to look around, something local would be a lot more convenient than ordering from multiple online retailers.

I'm in Edmonton, family in Lethbridge so I pass through Calgary all the time. If you don't mind me asking what store did you use in calgary?

Mark

Hi Mark...

I used Memory Express for all the parts I bought. The pricing was great, and they have an online parts picker that works well for configuring systems. I chose what I was interested in, printed it out, and then took it into the store with me. Within 20 minutes I was out the door with several boxes in tow. The chap who helped me was most knowledgeable and more than willing to assist me. Highly recommended! :D