LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Robot Monkey

Ban on political discussion

Please note that there is now a temporary ban on political discussion. The ban against political discussion may or may not become a permanent ban at the owners' discretion. Action may be taken against anyone in violation of the ban, up to and including account termination.

This action was taken because recent events suggest that permitting such discussion often leads to a lack of discussion and adds nothing of value to a site dedicated to videogames.

We intend to continue our focus on maintaining the best community possible for the discussion of videogames.

-j

I'm not sure if you're inviting replies to this (it's not locked, anyway), but I'm for the ban. I pointedly refused to read that political thread (the only other such unloved thread is Star Wars Galaxies--don't have it, don't want it). My own political views are so all over the map that I am sure to offend/be offended by someone else's. While I can enjoy politcal debate, I'm far happier with Xsux, LameCube and PSGhey as topics of argument.

I'm definitely for the ban as well. There's plenty of other places on the internet to discuss and debate political views, which usually results in heated discussion and can very easily devolve into something below the high quality of discussion available here, even with the best of intentions on both sides of the debate.

I respect the initiative to ban political debate. Though I enjoy having discussions on this forum because of the community. For this reason I have initiated many debates here. The most lively are those where there is a diverse set of opinions.

I don't think topics should be suppressed without careful consideration, since genuine debate is the backbone of our community. So please don't fall off the slippery slope and ban all EA versus Sega, Xbox vs. PS2, and Console vs. PC discussions. Just mod them smartly.

Don't let the bed bugs bite.

Just wanted to back up RM and respond to you kfredericks, this is a gaming forum, so there won't ever be a ban on any gaming debates. Just remember to be able to back up your comments.

I don't think topics should be suppressed without careful consideration, since genuine debate is the backbone of our community. So please don't fall off the slippery slope and ban all EA versus Sega, Xbox vs. PS2, and Console vs. PC discussions

Never happen Kieth. As long as the topics are presented in an intelligent manner and not the usual flamebait "EA sucks" or "Nintendo is DOOMED!" topics we are more than willing to welcome any discussion on all things related to videogames.

As demonstrated by previous threads political debate, much like religion, is a very touchy subject. Folks are very strongwilled in thier beliefs and not apt to really listen to the opposition (in fact if there is such a thing as preparing your reply instead of really reading what someone writes I'd say its an apt description). If this were a generalized forum this kind of thing may have been up for more of a concerted deliberation but considering that we are a gaming forum there is little reason to allow such debates to take place (much less get out hand).

I hope the community can understand the decision and one of the reasons that this thread is open is to share your thoughts on the subject.

I don't think topics should be suppressed without careful consideration

We share that belief. Even the decision to ban political discussions came as a result of a great deal of debate, and that's on a forum where such discussions are very much off topic in the first place.

Then maybe you guys should change

Controller Down, Off Topic Discussions. Talk about whatever you want to in here.
to something more politically correct. :roll:

We have a diverse group here, a lot of people whose opinion's I respect whether or not I agree with them, and I like to see where they stand on certain matters. So, in essence, there AREN'T better places to discuss politics, since most of the folk here are good, intelligent, opinionated mofo's. ;)

So, since this is a "videogaming forum", what's next? No discussion of anything not directly related to a videogame? So that means no more talk of music (unless it's in a game), no more talk of cars (unless they're in a game), no more movie talk (unless it's based on a game or they're making a movie out of it), etc.

The idea of banning certain discussions reeks of censorship and IMHO is ridiculous, but you guys are the owners and that is your prerogative. But if that's your "official" stance, you can revoke my membership as of right now.

There are plenty of other places "just to talk games" (mostly with asshats), I came here to get away from places like that.

Does this go as far as discussion of politics in the video gaming world also ? I am mainly talking about Congress and some video game issues on the table about ratings and content being accessible to minors and violence in games and so on and so forth.

I am for now in the belief that this type of discussion is still ok, it is discussion about politicial canditates and elections that has been banned. While it may seem obvious, I would rather ask and have it clear, than assume and be wrong.

Personally, politics bore me to death, but I dont think you guys should ban it unless there was some real angry discussions, that lead to some hard feelings.

But its your website to do as you wish and I respect that. Just like its a rule in my house that no guests can smoke, if they dont like it they can leave. Peace!

Originally posted by AuntieMuffin@Feb 9 2004, 09:08 AM

Does this go as far as discussion of politics in the video gaming world also ? I am mainly talking about Congress and some video game issues on the table about ratings and content being accessible to minors and violence in games and so on and so forth.

I am for now in the belief that this type of discussion is still ok, it is discussion about politicial canditates and elections that has been banned. While it may seem obvious, I would rather ask and have it clear, than assume and be wrong.

Yes I this type of discussion can be allowed as it relates to the subject at hand, gaming.

While I respect the opinion of the owners to choose what they see fit for discussion, I don't believe a ban is the answer. Why not help steer the topic back on track or keep it from getting ugly? I realize Jay closed the political thread most likely because of myself and Clan's debate, but I never thought it got out of hand.

Leo,

You and I are friends. If you want to leave, I will not argue with you. But hear me out.

Right now we are a tight-nit, family like website. However, once LCVG goes live, the unwashed masses will be signing up. Once that happens, topics like religion and politics are just going to be major headaches for the owners and mods. When it comes to those two topics, everyone is right in their own mind. :)

I hope you change your mind about wanting to leave, because face it, we are the only folks who really do like you. :)

Feel free to talk to me on AIM, PM or e-mail about this.

-Dean-

Originally posted by A CLAN OF ONE@Feb 9 2004, 08:06 AM

Then maybe you guys should change

Controller Down, Off Topic Discussions. Talk about whatever you want to in here.
to something more politically correct. :roll:

We have a diverse group here, a lot of people whose opinion's I respect whether or not I agree with them, and I like to see where they stand on certain matters. So, in essence, there AREN'T better places to discuss politics, since most of the folk here are good, intelligent, opinionated mofo's. ;)

So, since this is a "videogaming forum", what's next? No discussion of anything not directly related to a videogame? So that means no more talk of music (unless it's in a game), no more talk of cars (unless they're in a game), no more movie talk (unless it's based on a game or they're making a movie out of it), etc.

The idea of banning certain discussions reeks of censorship and IMHO is ridiculous, but you guys are the owners and that is your prerogative. But if that's your "official" stance, you can revoke my membership as of right now.

There are plenty of other places "just to talk games" (mostly with asshats), I came here to get away from places like that.

First off, this place will never be the definition of Politically Correctness. Thats not our goal or desire.

I agree with you also that we do have a diverse group here, and yes I like to think that we can all respect each others opinions. BUT, it won't be just us for long. As you can see, we are getting really close to having the site launch, when that happens, it open the floodgates to our little forum, thus letting in tons of new members who we will not know. So think of this rule as us being proactive, as it causes me great sorrow to have to ban people.

... So, in essence, there AREN'T better places to discuss politics, since most of the folk here are good, intelligent, opinionated mofo's. ;)

This is an understandable problem. Sadly, it isn't unique to the internet -- good luck finding such a place in real life. I'm thinking about joining a Socrates Cafe for that reason; you might want to consider the same.

I'm afraid you misunderstand the motivation for the ban on political discussion. You seem to be under the apprehension that we banned political discussion because it isn't videogame discussion. This is not the case.

The truth is that we value discussion here. For whatever reason, people everywhere are unable to maintain discussion about political subjects. Sure, they can talk about it. They can make conclusions that lack foundation. They can make wild accusations such that the other party is deeply insulted. But discuss it? No, this doesn't happen -- at least not for long.

The idea of banning certain discussions reeks of censorship and IMHO is ridiculous, but you guys are the owners and that is your prerogative.

We are not the government, nor are we publicly-funded. How is it censorship? And I'm not sure I see how the ban is ridiculous. Are you aware of the amount of time the staff here spends on making sure political topics don't get out of control? Did you know that with limited resources, this automatically means less time for, say, writing columns and organizing contests?

But if that's your "official" stance, you can revoke my membership as of right now. There are plenty of other places "just to talk games" (mostly with asshats), I came here to get away from places like that.

I'm truly sorry to hear that you came to this videogame site to get away from talk about videogames. I've played with you in various games (well, been whacked by you) enough to know that I truly would regret your absence here and online. I hope you stay.

-j

Sorry guys but, I have to agree with Leo on this one - you need to change the description of the "Controller Down" forum to something like - "discuss whatever you want in here as long as it is something that won't give the mods and owners a major headache". ;)

Guest Bryan

I felt that the political thread was out of place here and would open up our friendly little community to disagreements about things that people view with life-or-death importance. Let's talk games here and find better avenues for other discussions.

Personally, I think a ban on political discussion is just fine by me.

Eventually almost every political thread I've ever seen gets into a case of "You silly liberals" vs. "You silly conservatives"

The internet is a wonderful thing but as a means of discourse, at least politically, it's been a very sad thing. Very rarely does anyone actually read anyone's opinion and try to understand where they are coming from, they just pick out a small point from it.. and then point out how wrong that point is. I know, I've done it myself.

I think the ban is a sound decision, after all... this is a gaming forum.

Glen

The simple fact is, you can't please everyone.

I can see the mods are working for the good of the entire site community. And nipping things in the bud at the beginning, before it becomes a problem with the little family community we have here now, works towards the greater good of the site when the owners open up the doors to John Q. Public and all his poor relatives.

So far, it has been little tiffs here and there. Most of them have been over comments made or images posted that someone had issues with. Hell, I know of one image that was posted that I personally was bothered by, and all I had to do was say " I did not like that picture " and that was enuff for the person who posted it to remove it. While it was not offensive at all, it was just something I did not care for. And while we are like family here, it is not always going to be like that. I don't want to see this place turn into the type of forum where someone can stay barely below the radar of breaking the rules, and post fanboy type comments poorly disguised as " conversation on the topic of gaming " or crap on a topic just because someone has posted an opinion that differs from what they so firmly believe should be written in stone.

I like the fact that not only are the mods gamers who like talking about games, but the owners are so hands on too.

We have all played games in public rooms where there are players who are antagonistic, rude, crude, and immature. And over and over I see members who say they only play with people from here nowdays for that specific reason. They don't want to deal with John Q. and his antics. And if John Q. acts up with his crap here .... I hope he gets corrected on his errors.

This site is nice to visit because the people involved in the daily workings if it care about what goes on. Most of us know of sites where this is not first priority anymore. And most of us don't bother with them anymore.

I'm afraid you misunderstand the motivation for the ban on political discussion. You seem to be under the apprehension that we banned political discussion because it isn't videogame discussion. This is not the case.

The truth is that we value discussion here. For whatever reason, people everywhere are unable to maintain discussion about political subjects. Sure, they can talk about it. They can make conclusions that lack foundation. They can make wild accusations such that the other party is deeply insulted. But discuss it? No, this doesn't happen -- at least not for long.

Anyone that has an issue with the ban needs to read the statement above. Done? Good read it again. This has NOTHING to do with removing discussion that that is ancillery to videogames. It has to do with the proven fact that when it comes to political and religous discussion people are not able to maintain an objective viewpoint that allows for healthy discussion.

As Kelley and Dean already mentioned with the site launch getting closer and closer the floodgates will be open to more people with more viewpoints and more potential issues that can disrupt this community. Something we will work our hardest to prevent.

FYI, the definition of CENSOR is:

A person authorized to examine books, films, or other material and to remove or suppress what is considered morally, politically, or otherwise objectionable

Is this gonna be the type of forum where people lob "softballs" at each other and sit around the campfire singing "Cumbayah, My Lord" and agree to NEVER disagree?

I realize Jay closed the political thread most likely because of myself and Clan's debate, but I never thought it got out of hand.
Me either, merlot. That's why I'm bugging out. I presented a point, you made a counter-point and I rebutted. I didn't think it was a big deal.

I'm truly sorry to hear that you came to this videogame site to get away from talk about videogames.

Allow me to clarify. By "places like that", I don't mean videogame sites, I mean videogame sites with asshats and fanboys galore. I come to this forum to discuss ALL KINDS OF THINGS, IN A CIVILIZED MANNER, without everything erupting into a "flame war."

Bottom line: this is your website and you set the rules. But I decide if I'm gonna play by them. As it stands now, if you're gonna have "taboo" topics, revoke my membership. Just please give me advanced warning, so that I can post my goodbye's (since I don't have a way of contacting a lot of people in this forum.)

Thank you.

Nobody's membership is going to be revoked. If you decide to leave, then say your good byes and leave. We will miss you and the addition to this forum. If you want to create a forum for the discussion of politics and religion please do so and provide us all with the link as I'm sure everyone who is interested in that will come over and be members. Also if you need help with setting up this forum, let me know and I will be glad to help you.

But as you said this is our(Scott, Romier, and I) house and we make the rules, you just choose to follow them or not. End of discussion.