LCVG

2004 MLB Season

Bruce B

I know its early but I'm suffering from the between sports blues(no football, no baseball) so I thought I would drum up a conversation about the upcoming season.

I am a huge Yankee fan and was not really impressed with their off season moves. What they acquired in talent, they lost in heart. I'm not a big fan of Gary Sheffield, and Kevin Brown is injury prone. I do like Javy Vazquez though. I think they will sorely miss the guts and determination of Andy Pettitte. Now on top of it all Aaron Boone is out for the year with no solid replacement.

It kills me to say this but I think the Red Sox will dominate. Schilling was a huge pickup as was Foulke. The only albatrosses might be Pedro's health, Manny's attitude, and the trade/no trade effects on Nomar. I hope they dont win because we all know that their fans will wreck the town again. ;)

I also cant wait because I'm the commissioner for a fantasy league of 10 teams. We will all gather together at my house in March and have our beer and insult laden draft. Its a load of fun.

So, who do you think is the team to beat this year?

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's hoping the 'Stros can run with the talent they've acquired this year

Their pitching staff is killer, unfortunately I had Oswalt and Berkman on my fantasy teams last year. Oswalt had that ongoing groin injury and Berkman had an off year. They gonna do something about Biggio in the outfield, every time I saw him he looked lost.

Yankees and RedSox should be there at the end. I think the A's will still win 90 games, but will miss Tejada's offense. Seattle could win 90 games as well.

The NL is completely unpredictable. The Astros bought themselves some talented pitching and should challenge in the Central. I wonder what a non-injured Cardinals lineup can do? Dusty should have the Cubs at the top in September as long as they keep the health of their pitchers the #1 priority.

The NL East could go in any number of directions. Atlanta will have to lower their staff ERA significantly to counter the effects of losing over 60% of their offense from last year. The Phillies spent some money and could win the division if they can stop beating themselves in crucial game situations. The Mets will find a way to implode because they are the Mets.

I am really looking forward to the new season and can't wait to order the MLB Season Ticket from Time Warner!

I am really looking forward to the new season and can't wait to order the MLB Season Ticket from Time Warner!

Damn Adelphia Cable, I want this package so bad! Thats what I get for living in the sticks.

Atlanta will have to lower their staff ERA significantly to counter the effects of losing over 60% of their offense from last year.

I really think Bobby Cox is overrated as a manger. Should have at least 3 rings by now.

I know its only February!

Only February? Man, I've been counting the days for pitchers and catchers since the World Series ended. So for me, it's more like "YEAH, IT'S FEBRUARY".

With pitchers and catchers reporting sometime next week, I'm starting to look more closely at what each team did (or didn't do) this past off-season.

Being the huge Yankees fan that I am, I'm very disappointed at how the Yanks dealt with the Pettitte situation. Also, I hold no grudges over Clemens signing with the 'stros. He owes us nothing and pitched well when he was here. As far as Sheffield is concerned, I too am not too pleased with that acquisition (sp?) and feel the same way about Kenny Lofton. I think that Brown is an improvement over Weaver, although that wouldn't matter if he went on the DL. My biggest question marks would be Jon Lieber (can he pitch anywhere close to his last season with the Cubbies after being off for a year with arm surgery?) and the middle relief. With the loss of Clemens, Pettitte and (especially) Wells, the middle relief will be utilized even more to come in earlier with the currect crop of pitchers (except for Moose) than last years crop.

I'd have a MLB package if I didn't work weekends.

I really think Bobby Cox is overrated as a manger. Should have at least 3 rings by now.

Agreed.

Evil Empire Commissioner

:) Kinda like my gamertag.

The Reds have cut salary $10 mill. Blamed on attendance.

So, they'll probably lose more, and attendance will drop more.

Then, next year, they'll cut salary again.

Next thing you know, you are the Detroit Tigers.

I wish Uncle Carl would sell the team...he can make a nice profit over what he paid 4 years ago.

Originally posted by Bruce B@Feb 9 2004, 12:27 PM

You have no right to think things like that. :shock: The man has guided teams to division titles for how many years now? It enough so that Yankee fans will have to take their shoes and socks off to count. :green:

Seriously, I am a lifelong baseball fan #1 and a Braves / Dodgers fan #2. I truly believe that no other manager could have accomplished the same run of division titles with the players Cox did it with. He leads quietly and lets the veterans handle the attitudes that flare up from time to time. You never read about Cox getting into spats with players - heck, even Sheffield was a model citizen in Atlanta. He will be a Hall of Famer, and deservedly so.

All of you baseball stats buffs should consider getting the Press Pass from MLB.com. It gives you daily team reports in .PDF format from every team in baseball. The announcers get all their stats / trends from these reports and then repeat them during the games. It is fun to know streaks / tendencies in batter & pitcher matchups while the game is on. They also have an archive of daily team reports from the past two seasons.

As a Yankee fan, I'm not all thrilled with their offseason moves. Even so, the team still looks very strong and I still expect Boston to screw something up in the second half as they always do.

As for Houston, I fully hope Pettite and Clemens both suck big-time. Clemens will be injured before the second half and will be lucky to pitch in 15 games. Pettite won't have Mel around for the first time and it will show. The conspiracy theorist in me says they had this planned all last season and I'm not too happy about it.

I think both Baltimore and Toronto will be problems for both the Yankees and Red Sox, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the top four places extremely crowded for most of the season. Should be good.

I'm REALLY bummed the Yankees got rid of Nick Johnson. Giambi is a liability at first, and Williams will most likely be DH'ing with him.

The Yanks don't have many prospects left in the farm, and that scares me - especialy with this geriatric lineup.

You have no right to think things like that. The man has guided teams to division titles for how many years now?

That is true but when you have the talent that theyve had from the early 1990's, is winning division titles good enough? They had my Yankees down & out in 1996 and could not put them away.

It enough so that Yankee fans will have to take their shoes and socks off to count.

This is quite problematic for me since I am a Yankee fan and an Accountant.

Im a mets fan and the will improve but will still not make a playoff push. I could hope for something big to happen but ive come to accept it wont. After they screwed up the Vladdy situation any hope of getting a star player went down the tubes.

Being in NY i hear all the yankee stuff. All the moves they made this season are iffy. They made a huge mistake with Petite . Kevin brown is a bad back away from a season ending injury. They may make the playoffs again. But dont be on a championship again this year .

capt

Help! I'm surround by Yankee fans.

Needless to say I'm a Dodger fan(my next door neighbor as a kid played for them for 15+ years and I got lots of free stuff along with meeting Tommy Lasorda etc) so I bleed Dodger blue.

Still it has been bleeding red lately as we can seem to win and while we need a bat we aren't going after one! Still I'm optimistic that our new Gm(coming soon) and our new Owner will kick butt and take care of the situation at hand. I think they will start out rough then go get on the trade block fast to remedy some hitting problems that they haven't fixed yet. Pitching is something they don't need to worry about...especiallly if they can convince Maddux to come play but I suspect the Cubs will land him.

As for Houston, I fully hope Pettite and Clemens both suck big-time

Pettite would be the one who could suck... then again he may not. Clemens is not likely going to tank this year.

The Yanks don't have many prospects left in the farm, and that scares me - especialy with this geriatric lineup.

I wouldn't worry. Money can buy just about anything....except happiness(some times).

I know its tough to not pick the Angels as they have stocked up on their arsenal of players but that seems like a good pick right now early season.

The Reds have cut salary $10 mill. Blamed on attendance.

While you can be really pessimistic about it, look at the Royals, Twins and The Marlins and their small time payrolls. They surely aren't losing(although they did). I suspect all it takes is an attitude along with a good manager to do this.

Ugh. I hate the idea of this deal. I love Soriano, and having another big name in the clubhouse like A-Rod doesn't seem like it would do wonders for team chemistry. Maybe I'm wrong, but Soriano just seems too much to give up as far as young talent goes, even for A-Rod.

Im a mets fan and the will improve but will still not make a playoff push. I could hope for something big to happen but ive come to accept it wont. After they screwed up the Vladdy situation any hope of getting a star player went down the tubes

I like the moves the Mets made, its a nice blend of youngsters and proven players.

Cameron is a fantastic center fielder who can steal you some bases. Jose Reyes is going to be a star, and Jason Phillips will be one of the better hitting catchers I believe. Al Lieter also had a very strong second half of the season so I think things will be looking up for your Mets.

Yes Cameron is a good center fielder but he also strikes out a ton with a mediocre average. Reyes will be a star as he is amazing. Leiter should be his normal excellent self. We will see on Jason Phillips as ive seen plenty of met players do good the first season and then go into oblivion. Kaz matsui is a big question mark. He can either be the next big thing, or one of the biggest mistakes in the teams history. We shall see what happens

capt

Originally posted by Bryan@Feb 15 2004, 07:40 AM

This move pretty much negates the pitching questions - it is alright to give up four or five runs a game when you have an all-Cooperstown hitting lineup!

I suppose. I'm coming around on the idea, but I am a huge Soriano fan. Heck, I was in the stands for his very first MLB at bat. He pinch-hit in the 10th inning and hit the first pitch for a home run. I think this was toward the end of the 2000 season.

Let me just say that this is one tough Monday morning. It seems that everyone in the working world is off today, except my office,... and of course the A-Rod deal is the topic of conversation.

To quote myself,

How sick would we RedSox fans be if this A-rod deal happens?

And now I know the answer to that question! pukea.GIFpuke1.gifpukeb.GIF