LCVG

new firefox/firebird 0.8 out.

ant1

Not bad, more options, security features and a new download manager... missing my extensions already, can not get new ones as they are getting slammed and i can not access the page. two new themes also, nice. Strongly suggest trying firefox for anyone still running I.E. -yikes!

edit-found a site to get extensions-here

Originally posted by ant1@Feb 9 2004, 11:03 AM

Hey monkey, your bookmarks might still be alive somewhere, I believe they are stored somewhere else, not in your firebird folder. Do some digging.

If you're on a Windows machine (and you didn't go delete the profile/folder ;) ) this is usually where they are stored, I think...

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Phoenix\Profiles\default\<random>.slt\bookmarks.html

Heh, I deleted the profile when I removed it (I had installed it with the windows installer). I still have a bookmark export file from October, so I'm not quite starting from ground zero. Oh well.

Where did you see the new themes? When I go tto the page nothing is listed. I've never like the default themes and usually switch to pinball.

-j

Originally posted by FreakTornado@Feb 9 2004, 01:34 PM

Kelly, have you tried OmniWeb 5 yet? The beta is buggy, but I'll be damned if this isn't shaping up to be the best browser around.

No i haven't.....really never was impressed with any of the other releases of OmniWeb. Plus with Safari I've just never found a reason to switch.

(I apologize for this thread-napping, but it's not worth a whole other thread, and I promise to return the thread safe and unharmed when I'm done.)

OmniWeb 5 is based on the Safari rendering engine, so it has all of the speed advantages, but it builds on Safari with a feature-set that makes Safari look positively stone-age.

One of the best features is per-site preferences. Each and every site can have it's own individual prefs, from font size to ad-blocking to cookies, and even what ColorSync setting to use.

It has really nicely done thumbnail tabs, which can be sized to just text if needed, and can drag-and-drop from window to window. The one thing it lacks is an option for "normal" tabs in a horizontal bar.

It also has Workspaces, which lets you save entire sets of windows and the sites they link to. So you can create a set of windows that show gaming sites, and another that are news sites, and save them as a set that you can activate and switch between. It will remember the position and size of every window in the set, and retain tabs as well.

It has an awesome bookmarks system, including the ability to check any or all bookmarked pages for changes, full bookmark search-ability, you can add comments to bookmarks, and it has Smart bookmarks which defines which bookmarks to list based on criteria like most often viewed, which have changed since you last viewed, etc.

It saves the state of the browser, so even after a crash it will re-open exactly where you left it.

There's a good, if overly comprehensive and wordy, review of it at ArsTechnica, to skip the intro and get to the meat of the review, you can start on page 3.

I love Safari, but there's no question that I will buy OW as soon as it's finished.

EDIT: I forgot my most favorite feature! You can take any search field from any site, click on it, and add it to the search field in the toolbar of the browser, where there is a drop-down list of all sites that you've added. You can then search any site you want right from the toolbar. Very handy!

</thread-napping>

I'm using Firefox 0.8 now, and I like it. I'll have to see about the new dl manager, though. When I first used it, it slowed my system way down until I cleared out the history. Also, it seemed to give me a wierd extension installation problem (I would try to install an extension, it would immediately claim to have installed before downloading, then when I clicked ok it would show up in the download manager and proceed not to download...with the extension not showing up as installed after a restart), but after restarting Firefox a couple of times it seems to have resolved itself. The Thunderbird-style "Downloads have finished" notification under Windows XP is nice, though.

Also, for those of you using Thunderbird as well, 0.5 came out today (up from 0.4). One of the best usability improvements here is that they seriously sped up folder loading times, so you can click on a large e-mail folder and not have it grind to a halt for a second or two.

Ryan, there's a technical note on the FireFox site in the Release Notes. It said "Some users have experienced performance problems with the Downloads window - if the Downloads window experiences slow painting, try installing this patch." The download manager worked fine for me today, so I think I'll continue to use it.

Ed, Mozilla has/had workspaces by allowing you to save a group of bookmarks and open them all with a special bookmark icon. It doesn't seem to be native to Firebird/FireFox.

-j

Ed, Mozilla has/had workspaces by allowing you to save a group of bookmarks and open them all with a special bookmark icon. It doesn't seem to be native to Firebird/FireFox.

I'm not sure it's the same thing. Safari has a function where you can create a book mark which "contains" a set of sites to open simultaneously if you click on it. It simply spawns a tab for each site in the same window. This sounds like what you're talking about, I think.

Workspaces in OmniWeb actually save a set of windows (or tabs if you prefer), including position, size and history, the sites they link to. You can set a Workspace to always pick up where you left off browsing (including the history), or you can make them so that they always return to an original state when you activate them.