LCVG

2003 LCVG Reader Awards, Part 3

Robot Monkey

Please post your nominations in this topic. Part 1 is here, Part 2 is here. You can still nominate there or change your choices.

When I see 5 good nominees for each category, I will post the next five categories. When nominees have been selected for all categories, we will make polls in the Poll forum to determine the winners.

Please make a case for your choices in this thread. I encourage you to debate the choices here as well.

Here's the third group of categories for nomination:

Funniest Game

Best Party Game

Best Interface

Best Online Experience

Best Characters

EDIT: To keep things under control, please do not nominate more than two titles per category. And don't forget to explain your choices

Funniest Game

Armed and Dangerous (XBox) - Made by the same people who created Giants: Citizen Kabuto and quite frankly, this is funnier... and not just because of the accents

Burnout 2: Point of Impact (XBox, GameCube, PS2) - Okay, you people probably think I'm out of my damn mind for nominating this, but there's nothing more hilarious than going into Crash mode, geting an SUV, driving 150 MPH into cross traffic, causing tens of millions of dollars of dollars worth of property damage, having a helicopter fly over the carnage and tally your bill, and then pan to your upside down steaming twisted hunk of stinking automobile as a gold medal appears next to it!?

Best Party Game

Soul Calibur II (XBox, GameCube, PS2) - I can't be the only person who's played this game for 10 hours straight with a roomful of friends

WWE Smackdown: Here Comes the Pain (PS2) - you haven't lived until you get six people playing the Royal Rumble or the Elimination Chamber ? Hell in a Cell is even more insane than both of them

Best Interface

Otogi: Myth of Demons (XBox) - hypnotic visuals and sound effects combined with some GORGEOUS hand-drawn art; the HUD is simple yet elegant

Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (XBox, GameCube, PS2) - the level selection screen alone is just plain awesome

Best Online Experience

Project Gotham Racing 2 (XBox) - very professional set-up, smooth gameplay, no B.S.

Crimson Skies (XBox) - even if you suck at this game, just the mere thought of fighting 15 other planes piloted by people around the globe is cool as hell

Best Characters

Final Fantasy X-2 (PS2) - Winner by three scantily-clad knockouts - Yuna's character development alone is worth the award

Beyond Good and Evil (XBox, GameCube, PS2) - Jade can kick Lara Croft's top-heavy ass any day of the week

Funniest Game- This wasn't a year for extremely funny games. I intend to pick up Armed and Dangerous so I might change my nomination, but for now:

Jak 2- earns the nomination on the strength of Daxter's drunken exploits.

Goblin Commander- for some reason, this game just amused me. I guess it's just one of those "you have to play it for yourself" situations, but the goblins in this game have personality.

Party Game- I suppose Smackdown gets it by default, even though I haven't tried it with more than 2 players. A lack of Super Monkey Ball 3 left a void this year.

Interface-

Naval Ops: Warship Gunner - the interface makes arranging the multitudes of gatling guns, cannons, telsa coils, death rays, etc. very easy and intuitive. It takes a bit of getting used to, but Koei tackled a complicated task well.

Star Wars: KOTOR - An innovative combat interface that actually worked well and made the game less tedious than traditional RPGs. I'm sold!

Online- Wolfenstien and Ghost Recon: IT, both Xbox, for reasons listed in previous topics.

Characters-

Fire Emblem runs away with it. There aren't many games that cause me to become instantly attached to the characters, but Fire Emblem is one of those few. Sain immediately amused me, and the whole cast is great from top to bottom. Sadly, my progress has stalled because I want to level up my characters in an arena but I have the problem that they occasionally take critical hits and die. I can't bear to lose any of them, so I'm stuck 3/4 of the way through the game.

Star Wars: KOTOR - Great characters for a game you'd expect to have a generic cast. Canderous and HK 47 were my favorites. The fact that Carth met a fitting end in my game totally sealed the experience for me. YOU as the main character actually worked in this game. While such an approach normally leaves a game feeling generic and without a strong narrative, the constant choices in KOTOR allow the main character to have personality.

Honorable mention

Zone of the Enders 2- Just a well designed animey cast of characters. Dingo was damn cool, and his love interest was hot.

Max Payne 2- MP1 could have taken the award, but Max has gone soft in the sequel. It was a shame to see one of my favorite characters turned into somewhat of a puss, but Vinnie Gognitti almost makes up for it. The captain baseball bat level was a work of art.

Funniest Game

Outlaw Volleyball was the funniest game I played this year, but I didn't play a ton of humorous games.

Best Party Game

Soul Calibur II - When I finally played this with a friend, it became a marathon of button smashing and a lot of laughs. Quite possibly the sorest my hands have been all year.

Best Interface

Project Gotham 2 - Nothing really jumped out at me in this category, but I do think PGR2 does a very nice job with presentation of information. Instant access to friends, track times, easy navigation. Well done all around.

Best Online Experience

A category of riches

Project Gotham 2 - No-brainer here, superb in every way. Online aware, online rankings for every track, virtually no lag, awesome, awesome, awesome.

Midtown Madness 3 - This game exceeds PGR2 in one category; game modes. The variety of modes in this game make it ridiculously entertaining online.

I'm going to cheat and name a 3rd best online game:

Amped 2 - The online aspect of this game absolutely rocks, it turns a decent game into a fantastic experience with friends.

Best Characters

Since I played no story-driven games last year, what can I say...Mario Golf!

The online game category was very tough, MotoGP2 deserves mention, it got it right before PGR2 and MM3 were out.

Funniest Game

Like Ed, I haven't played a ton of funny games this year. So I'll give my nom too...

Manhunt (PS2): Reason being is the things all of the AI controlled characters say. Some funny ass shit. For example... "Special Delivery for a 'Mr. Dickhead'!" :)

Runner Up:

Outlaw Volleyball (X-Box)

Best Party Game

WWE: Smackdown: Here Comes the Pain (PS2): This gets my nom for all the reasons I spoke of in the other Nomination threads. :)

Runner Up:

Crimson Skies (X-Box)

Best Interface

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (X-Box): I don't really like RPGs, but KOTOR was a wonderful RPG that I played until the end. One of the big reasons was because of it's interface. If the interface would of been clunky, like in most RPGs I have played, I wouldn't of finished it.

Runner Up:

Project Gothem Racing 2 (X-Box)

Best Online Experience

Rainbow Six 3 (X-Box): Co-op mode and Willy Pete Suicides....'nuff said, :)

Runner Up:

Return to Castle Wolfenstein (X-Box)

Best Characters

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (X-Box): KOTOR gets the Nom just becasuse of HK 47 alone. :)

Runner Up:

Beyond Good and Evil (All)

-Dean-

That's the secnd vote for PGR2 in the Best Interface category, which surprises me. I think the interface is unusually bad.

For example, the options are split into different areas and often hard for me to find. I felt like I was playing "Where's Waldo" when I went to swith the soundtrack to custom.

If you go into Demos in one place you get PGR2 videos. If you go to Demos in another place you get the RSC2 trailer and the other stuff.The Garage and the Showcase are buried in the car selection area of a race. Why should I be forced to dive into menu item after menu item and then start the race process to visit the Garage or Showcase?

The actual in-car interface is fine and the radio controls are very well-done. As a whole, it doesn't stand out to me as the way a good interface is designed. I wish the game came with a Monsters Inc.-style map of the navigation tree.

My two cents.

-j

Funniest Game

Rayman3: Hoodlum Havoc. - Globox cracks me up, and some of the scenes that you earn are really hilarious.

Best Party Game

MarioParty 5 - I would vote for MK:DD here, but I think MP5 has the edge because of its ease of play. It's better suited for a party, too, where people can get up or converse in between turns.

Best Online Experience

Rainbow Six 3 - needs more game modes, but the ones it does have make the game a lot of fun to play online.

I'll try to think of the rest later.

Carlos.

Originally posted by Robot Monkey@Feb 11 2004, 04:47 PM

That's the secnd vote for PGR2 in the Best Interface category, which surprises me. I think the interface is unusually bad.

If this was just released as an original game I might be inclined to agree with you. But to anyone used to playing the first two games its like a breath of fresh air; they were even worse...