LCVG

Who's a frugal gamer?

The Daisy

I know we had a poll regarding whether or not you pay full retail for a game.

Well, as you all know I run the Wrapup thread showing you the best of the ads for the week. I was just curious as to if you are as frugal as I am.

This week for example, I'm going to Best Buy to pick up Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles ($49.99 w/$10 Gift Card), and use a $5 Gamer Gift Card on it to get it for $44.99 with the $10 Gift Card that I'm going to use on Metroid: Zero Mission, which is $24.99 ($19.99 after Gamer Gift Card), making that game $9.99.

Also I'm going to pay all of this off with Reward Zone certs that I've been saving up.

I was just curious as to how many of you do this same sort of thing to increase the value of your gaming dollar. :)

Glen

You bet Glen, more money saved = more games I can buy ;)

I tend to churn and burn games quite a bit too. Buy something for $10 off during a loss leader sale, then play it in a week (or decide don't like it), sell it online for $5 less than I paid and wait for the next game. With rewards dollars from BB I can just about stay status quo for a lot of new games that way.

I tend to be frugal from the standpoint of being extremely selctive as to what titles I buy, often waiting for price drops, and considering used titles when the price justifies it. The biggest thing that keeps me frugal, however, is my budget. My gaming budget, at least at the moment, is such that buying a new game is a rare thing. I can't really afford to make mistakes. Also, with my schedule being what it is, expanding my library of games is taking a back seat to giving some quality time to the ones I already own. I'm not sure this fits with what ou refer to as a frugal gamer, but that's where I stand at any rate.

I only pick up a few games a year at full price, and even on those I use the $5 off coupons at Best Buy. That's not to say I'm frugal though. It's been a long time since I've bought less than 2 games in a week. Games provide awesome value for the money right now, especially considering that the best games usually don't sell and get marked down quickly.

Very seldom can I not wait for a game to drop down to my magic price point - $20. I'm amazed at some of the great $20 games I've gotten recently so quickly after release (Beyond Good & Evil, Max Payne 2, Metal Arms). And once you start stockpiling the good cheap games, waiting for bargains becomes much easier. :)

I'm not really frugal, although I cant resist a good deal and the temptation to buy a $20 GOOD game like Beyond Good and Evil or Sphinx (currently...resisting...) usually just gets to be too much for me and I break down and purchase it. As for full price games... if I REALLY want it, I'm buying it. I don't care if its $50 or not. Right now I'm trying to scrape up the cash to score Everquest: CON tomorrow, even though I have Baldurs Gate DA2 and RType Final still in package wrap... hehe I'm pathetic. The gaming industry loves pathetic types like me that have to have stuff on day ONE. Or those that get so excited before a game's release date that they cant' sleep the night before (like me). Dear GOD what have I turned into???? heheh....

Just go ahead and end the holdout on Sphinx. Besides, if you use a $5.00 off coupon at Best Buy, that drops the price down to $14.99. Really, what do you have to lose spending so little on such a great game? In the time it would take you to have an internalized purchasing debate, you could have put in enough hours at work to pay for the game! So just go ahead and buy Sphinx, it's a beautiful game. I have the Xbox version and on my direct view HDTV, it's so clean that it looks like those high res screens taken out of VRAM that the real game usually never looks like.

I love being an enabler.:twisted:

There was a time when discounts on video games indicated major suckosity -- only the lousy videogames got their prices dropped.

Now that prices are dropping because of sales and competition, I'm having a hard time getting out of that mindset. With the exception of the "platinum hits" type games, if I see a $20 game, alarms start going off. I'm working on it though.

Since I have no problem paying 8 dollars for a movie ticket for 2 hours of entertainment, I also have no problem spending 7 times that much if a game yields 10 hours or more of entertainment. (and by that rationale, Halo has produced the best cost/enjoyment ratio ever!)

But, since my disposable income gets scarcer as my kids grow, I tend to buy fewer "expensive" games as opposed to more "cheap" games. Plus I do that trick with their allowances that I've mentioned many times before. ;)

Carlos.