LCVG

What do you use your DVD writer for?

Whiskers

I have the Plextor internal PX-708A DVD writer and I want to maximize it's use. As it sits right now, all I've done is the following:

Make a backup of my digital camera images.

Burn a copy of 'The Nightmare Before Christmas'. (Looove this movie)

What do you guys/gals use your DVD burner for?

What software are you using?

If you are doing backups, what software is best?

Is it possible to make a "copy" of your system for a quick reinstall?

Why is the sky blue?

Thanks for any and all replies...

Stacey

If you are doing backups, what software is best?

I was introduced to a great program called DVD Shrink, and I use that in conjunction with Nero for my DVD backup needs.

I also use Nero to backup information as well. It's a great program, with a lot of features.

Is it possible to make a "copy" of your system for a quick reinstall?

You can use Norton Ghost to make an image of your drive for quick re-installs.

Why is the sky blue?

I always thought it was light reflecting off the water, and projected onto vapor in the air. Or something to that effect.

I use it to make DVDs for school & work. I create really nice (if I do say so myself) preview DVDs for upcoming video games. I obtain high-res downloadable movies of games all over the net and use Sonic Foundry's excellent DVD Architect to produce the discs. DVD Architect is included with Vegas -their video editing app.

I also have Adobe Encore but haven't really taken the time to learn it yet. It seems pretty powerful though.

I've had a DVD burner for 3 years now, I'm on my second one (I sold the first with my old Mac).

I've edited video from vacations, etc into more coherent footage and made DVDs of that for play in DVD video players (using iDVD). One was a kind of 'nature' video of scenes from Yosemite, it turned out nicely.

I've copied VHS videos that I want to preserve onto DVDs using my DV camera to convert the video signal into a FireWire signal and dump it on my hard drive.

I've burned many DVD data backup discs.

I have a friend that uses his Mac as a DVR, recording shows to his HD and then he burns them to DVD.

It is possible to make a bootable DVD in OSX, I have no idea about Windows.

I've been doing some reading, and it looks like PC PVR's are all the rage. There is quite the community behind doing this. I don't yet have a standalone PVR, as I'm waiting for Expressvu to come out with a combo PVR / Hidef receiver. In the interim, it may be worth a try to get a TV tuner card and start playing around. It looks like SnapStream is a good PVR program to start with. I'm only hoping that I can download TV listings for my area, or perhaps my satellite. Anyone familiar with this proggie?

Sounds pretty easy -- capture program, burn with DVD burner, watch in home theater...piece o'cake!

Also, side question here....which format of DVD are you guys buying and having best luck with, DVD-R or DVD+R?

My best use for my DVD burner so far,...

My girlfriend's sister owns a dance studio and last year I filmed and edited her studio's year-end recital, and then burned it to DVD's and created the covers. I'd never done anythig like that before, but I'd say it came out very well. Everyone, most importantly the parents, loved them. I ended up making 22 DVD's. It was fun, and I'm looking forward to doing it again this year.