LCVG

Simpsons movie in the works

rustyjaw

I love going back to the Conan O'Brian seasons. There were some that he was involved with that were absolutely terrific.

Me three. I can't wait for seasons 4,5,6,7, and 8 on DVD. I can watch all of those episodes repeatedly.

While I think the show currently is a shell of its former self, I'm intrigued about the film. Especially since Groening and Brooks are writing it, although I've always enjoyed the episodes written by John Swartzwelder - Jay Kogen and Wally Wolodarsky wrote some gems, too.

I'm in the 'concerned' camp regarding this one. I've not been all that overwhelmed with the last four or five seasons of The Simpsons. A number of good episodes to be sure, with a lot of funny moments, but all the seasons of Futurama seemed to be consistently funnier than the last lot of the Simpsons in my mind.

If James Brooks has a large hand in writing a film, then that's quite comforting since he is so often responsible for a lot of the warmth and heart of certain episodes. Twenty-two minutes stretched to ninety odd however.... We'll see.

Up and ADEMMM!

Daniel

Uh oh... Making a movie of a TV show is almost always a shark jump!

But at this point the creators of The Simpsons have tons of money, so it's not like they're just trying to cash in on a trend (IMO this is why there was a South Park movie). I have to give them the benefit of the doubt and believe that they will do a good job... if they had no content they likely wouldn't be doing this.

What are the odds they could get Conan back on board just for the movie? That would be great. :D

Originally posted by Thrillho@Feb 11 2004, 01:34 PM

Best news ever!!!

With a sig pic like that, you should have added in an, "Oh yeah!"

Anyway, I'm intrigued by this. I still love The Simpsons and feel that the show has been pretty funny this season. That said, I wonder exactly what they plan to do for a movie. Usually, when a TV show gets made into a movie, it's because there are certain things you can do in a big-budget film that you couldn't do on TV. Maybe you use the money for better special effects (Star Trek) or you take the characters to some unique locale that they couldn't visit before. With The Simpsons, you have none of that. The beauty of animation is that they can pretty much do whatever they want and it won't cost more than doing an entire episode from Homer's living room. They've done an episode in outer space, gone to hell, visited Itchy and Scratchy Land, done time in New York City and so on. So, I ask what's left for them to do on film that they haven't already done after 15 years and over 300 episodes?

But all the seasons of Futurama seemed to be consistently funnier than the last lot of the Simpsons in my mind.

I was thinking the exact same thing when Futurama was following The Simpsons a few years ago.

Well, this isn't much of a shark jump, seeing as how they're talking of ending the series around that time.

I was actually going to ask that. I remember hearing rumblings a few years ago that when they finally stop the show, there would be a movie to wrap things up. I want to say I read this in an AV Club interview, but I can't say for certain...

But, but...does that mean you don't think it was brilliant?

Well, I'll tell you right now that I do. :)

The South Park movie may be a fairly obvious piece of satire, but that does not stop it from being bloody good satire. Saw it on opening night and the theater was just dying; the audience actually burst into applause during the Bill Gates scene.

Given the increasingly nonsensical nature of the MPAA I think the movie has only gotten more relevant over time :P.

Originally posted by gwhinwi@Feb 12 2004, 01:02 PM

Well, this isn't much of a shark jump, seeing as how they're talking of ending the series around that time.

Glen

Whether or not the show ends, they could still jump... the brand as a whole would suffer. I'm pretty sure that when the show ends there will still be video games, merchandise, and commercials featuring them, at least for a while.

Not to mention the legacy of the Simpsons... go to jumptheshark.com and look at the ones that "never jumped"- not many at all, and most only lasted a few seasons. They will have had 300 great episodes (ok not all of them are great, but you know what I mean) and went off the air presumably while still very popular. It would be a shame to get that far and throw it all away on a movie, if there was no real motivation or reason to make it.

That's just my opinion though. I was mad as hell when Seinfeld went off the air in 1998 but it was the best thing for the show, and I hope the Simpsons ends in a similar fashion.

Even the "worst" Simpsons episodes are better than 90% of other shows on tv (and only bad in comparison to the classics). This season has been pretty funny, imo. A movie capping off the entire series would be a neat move.

I don't know if it's hyperbole, but when Jerry Seinfeld decided to end the show, he said the stories they had in mind for the next season would have been very surreal, including a Claymation episode and one in which Kramer was twelve inches tall!

• 2 years later...

Teaser is online.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/thesimpsonsmovie/teaser/

It's a great pity they have rehashed that old dated teaser trailer gag with Mr Serious voiceover hyping an event of momentous proportions only to, hahaha, cut to a silly character. The Mr Bean movie teaser did that, the South Park movie trailers most certainly did that and now this. I'm sure there are some others I have forgotten - perhaps various Pauley Shore, Rob Schneider and Adam Sandler movie teasers.

Everyone's favorite legitimate news website, Ain't It Cool News, has posted a minor spoiler dealing with the plot of the film. You can read about it here or just highlight the text below:

"All of the original cast, and writers, are involved. The main plot is that a goof by Homer at the power plant results in the government putting a dome over the city limits of Springfield."

So, there you have it. I always wondered what they could possibly do for a movie version of The Simpsons since the show seems to have no real limits in what it can pull off in terms of storytelling. Anyway, it sounds like a promising premise for some hilarious hijinx.