LCVG

2003 LCVG Reader Awards, Part 4

Robot Monkey

Please post your nominations in this topic. Part 1 is here, Part 2 is here, Part 3 is here. You can still nominate there or change your choices.

When I see 5 good nominees for each category, I will post the next five categories. When nominees have been selected for all categories, we will make polls in the Poll forum to determine the winners.

Please make a case for your choices in this thread. I encourage you to debate the choices here as well.

Here's the fourth group of categories for nomination:

Best Game That Was Ignored

Best Ending (no spoilers, though)

Best Expansion or downloadable content

Most Improved Series/Franchise

Best Demo

EDIT: To keep things under control, please do not nominate more than two titles per category. And don't forget to explain your choices

Project Gotham Racing 2. Even without considering the Live play and integration, this sequel is more accessible than its predecessor(s), has even better graphics, more cars, and more places to race.

ESPN Football. The latest title in what was the NFL2kX series brought a full ESPN presentation, improved gameplay, the Crib, and left out none of the features that made the NFL2kX series my football franchise of choice.

Best Demo

Rainbow Six 3 demo. I got more mileage out of this demo than any other in 2003.

I'll add others as I think of them.

-j

Live For Speed. I seem to be the only one here who has heard of it. Viciously sensible mainly-online PC racer, that makes the Gran Tourismo boys understand what realistic handling really is. Its also only ?12, which may seem like a fair bit to the US, now the Dollar is worth less than a Euro, but its a bargain for us lot over here in the UK.

Otherwise, put me down as one of the people who actually purchased the great Gregory Horror Show, which is just blooming insane, like a cross between some Japanese kids cartoon, Majora's Mask and Grim Fandango.

Best Demo

Call Of Duty. Boy, I've played that demo more than several games I've bought in the last year. Unfortunately, I played it enough to find the full thing rather uninspiring, but that is another story.

Beyond Good and Evil ? I don't know if it counts, but I got the impression that it was passed over by the masses, so I'm nominating this fantastic game.

No other nomination in this category because I think I ignored most of them :oops:

Best Ending

Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando ? Really funny stuff here.

Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker ? A satisfying end to a wonderful adventure.

Splinter Cell ? Vselka sub missions. More missions for a fantastic game. Whoohoo!

Ghost Recon: Island Thunder ? Tons of added content came out for this excellent game. Some really good maps were added on after the fact. Great value.

PGR2 ? I enjoyed the first one, but it had its problems. PGR2, however, is improved in every way.

Rainbow Six 3 ? It's not really fair comparing this great game to its playstation and dreamcast predecessors, but it is definitely an improvement.

Best Demo

Rainbow Six 3 ? Played the heck out of the RS3 demo. A really good demonstration of what the final product would be like. And the level included is a really fun one.

Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield (single-player demo) ? Are we nominating PC games as well? If we are, this was a great demo.

Beyond Good and Evil - Joe Lunkhead: "Shit, I ain't buyin' this game. She ain't got no tits. I'm buyin' Enter the Matrix instead. Huh huh. Baaaa!!!"

Metal Arms: Glitch in the System - RoboHalo.

Best Ending

Silent Hill 3 - The UFO Ending

MechAssault - lotsa new dowloads - unfortunately I could download friggin' Mecha-Ghidorah and I'd still lose

Splinter Cell - download entire missions???? damn...

ESPN NFL Football - It ain't Madden and doesn't have to be

Tony Hawk Underground - The mere fact that you can now WALK is enough of an improvement

Best Demo

Prince of Persia - Very well put together. Even more dramatic than the game itself.

Best Game That Was Ignored:

No question for me, it was Beyond Good & Evil by a landslide. This game is so good and well done that the fact it didn't sell well should be considered an outright crime.

Best Ending

Zelda: Wind Waker - I would love to spoil it, but the ending to this game may very well be my favorite Zelda ending ever. Real choices are made, and real consequences are faced. It's all rather moving and one part in particular has the best fake-out I've seen in a game to date.

Beyond Good & Evil - The actual ending is kind of just okay and a little too abrupt. But the ending sequence itself is a wild ride, mixing a bunch of different play styles and calling on a bunch of skills from the player. Won't spoil my favorite part, but let's just say the game takes a left turn into something reminsce of a very popular Origin franchise from years ago.

Best Expansion

Does Day of Defeat count? If not, I got nothing ;). I logged insane, Counter-Strike levels of time with Day of Defeat last year, which rocked and rolled.

Counter-Strike (PC) - An odd duck choice, maybe, but I finally got around to trying out 1.6 on Steam the other day and it was great. I don't know if it was just my return to CS after so long, but even some punk ass bitch of a cheater couldn't keep my spirits down. The game runs like a dream and it was the first time in a long time that CS felt like the game I used to think it was.

Best Demo

Any one that would run on my PC.

As such, this will not be awarded based on my opinion :green:

• 2 weeks later...

Since I forgot to vote for anything before on this one, I'll add:

The Simpsons: Hit 'n' Run. OK, so its heavily indebted to GTA, just like Road Rage was a Crazy Taxi steal, and Skateboarding was a lame Tony Hawk ripoff. But as comprehensively the first decent Simpsons game the title 'most improved' is well deserved.