LCVG

Painkiller Demo next week!

Romier S

Frome Gamespot:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/painkill...ws_6089285.html

The demo will give players a glimpse of three locations in Purgatory: the never-before-seen Oriental Castle, the witch-infested medieval town level, and the boss fight against the giant hammer-wielding Thor. The castle level, depicted in the screenshots above, is one of the largest in the game and is designed with an atmospheric Arabian Nights-style. The town level is an ideal place to put the stake gun to work, while the Thor battle has been significantly updated since its eye-catching debut at E3 2003 and shows off destructible environments and real-time lighting.

Got a demo disc (Exclusive Sales Associate Demo... I feel so special) at work today.... nice graphics, coolish weapons, decent sound, but if they can't inject some fun into the game, it's going to suck harshly.

As fun as it is to blow away 200 monsters that look exactly the same for the entire level, some of which do get blown right across the screen (which is kinda a cool for a bit), it gets boring a repetitive after only a few minutes, and the level design in the few I got, have gotta be the most boring, lead you along a path, linear levels I've ever seen. There's no doors, nothing to explore, no ladders (mostly), just not much at all. Add to that, I'm rather insulted by the magical walls that appear to help coral me along and will magically disappear when all enemies are dead.

The boss is cool, but the fight with him is, again, boring. It takes forever to actually get going, and once it does, goes on for way too long.

Looks like the levels in the GS demo will be different, so we'll see what you guys think of those ones. I don't think I'll waste my time downloading it.

Prety hefty specs on this one:

2.2. Recommended:

CPU: 2.4 GHz Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon processor

RAM: 512 MB

CD-ROM/DVD-ROM: 8X speed

Hard Drive Space: 1.2 GB available

Video: 128 MB DirectX 9 card, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5800 or better

Sound: DirectX 8.1b or better compatible

Input: Keyboard and mouse

As fun as it is to blow away 200 monsters that look exactly the same for the entire level, some of which do get blown right across the screen (which is kinda a cool for a bit), it gets boring a repetitive after only a few minutes, and the level design in the few I got, have gotta be the most boring, lead you along a path, linear levels I've ever seen. There's no doors, nothing to explore, no ladders (mostly), just not much at all. Add to that, I'm rather insulted by the magical walls that appear to help coral me along and will magically disappear when all enemies are dead.

I agree with every last bit of that. It looks great, runs fantastic and sound wonderful. As you mentioned its really neat that your able to pin a zombie right into a wall with a stake or blast it halfway across the screen. Problem is that it all gets old after you've done it for the 20th time.

All the ingredients are here for a great game, but like Graeme said, its missing the one piece of the recipe thats most important.....fun.

The most fun I had with my demo was with the stake and a glitch in the game that had this gib piece of meat thing stuck in the air. I could shoot one of the stakes into it and it would thrash it around quite violently.

But even that got old.

Despite my negative reaction to the demo, I think I will DL the available demo (although I just noticed I said I wouldn't... only gonna take 20 minutes anyway) to see it's levels. If I get 4 different levels and 2 bosses, and they're all boring... I know I'll be passing for sure.