The Daisy

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good lord.

Just... good lord.

My faith has been rewarded.

They're changing the hell out of this series at last, and I'm predicting it'll be friggin' brilliant. Mikami is smart.

SPOILER TALK SORT OF, IF YOU WANT NO INFO STAY ABOVE THIS LINE :P

Having the fall of Umbrella just happen offscreen and moving on is utterly brilliant. For one, it skips over the fact that we've never even seen upper echelon Umbrella execs before and the fact that it would have to be pretty fantastic to satisfy fans.

Now you may piss off your insane people who think an RE title has to be just like the others, but that's stupid. I'm more than fond of the cliches, but that doesn't mean I'm against the idea of change. And this looks like amazing change. The over-the-shoulder perspective will take some getting used to, but imagine the insanity that can now ensue by enemies coming up on you from behind.

The other smart thing about the Umbrella thing? Now whenever they want to, Capcom can go back and tell the story of the fall of Umbrella and it'll sell a load of copies to the hardcore RE zealots. There'd be enough of a market for that sort of title. We'll have to see if the company has anything to do with this new title. I won't be too torn up if they don't.

Hmm, I had a separate link but it looks like Game Informer has gone on the warpath with regards to copyright exclusives, since they have the world exclusive on the game preview until March.

I would recommend trying to hunt around for them, they are worth the effort :).

Daniel;

You are my new hero! Thanks man.

So, am I to understand that those are *not* renders? That's actual in-game footage? Capcom must think we're all a bunch of blooming idiots to believe something that ridiculous! Right?

Right?

Originally posted by bickle@Feb 14 2004, 07:16 PM

Any word on the gameplay? Specifically, does it use the classic RE control scheme (right/left=turn; up/down=move), or does it have a different scheme?

The only people who know the answer to that question are those who have played it. That includes the people at Capcom and various video game reporters. Obviously, the people at Capcom are not allowed to talk about the game, and the reporters are obliged to keep silent until mid-March thanks to a non-disclosure agreement.

This is just me speculating here, but I would not be surprised if it did not abide by the old Resident Evil control scheme. This appears to be Capcom's attempt to bring some long-needed freshness to the series and I suspect that the mechanics of the game play may be altered to reflect that. You never know though. We'll just have to wait and see.

My copy of the latest issue of Game Informer has arrived. You know, the one that has the world exclusive first look at Resident Evil 4? Here are what I consider to be the juiciest tidbits from the article:

• The game supports 16:9 TVs and 480p signals. Players without a 16:9 set will have to play the game in a letterboxed mode.
  • The game will support a very active Dolby Pro-Logic II mix.
  • The game can be played in three vantage points: a first-person mode or two variations of an over-the-shoulder, third-person view.
  • The controls are basically the same as in past Resident Evil games with the left control stick used for movement, right trigger aims, A button fires, and the B button executes a quick turn around. Since the camera is fixed to the player's perspective, the familiar "push up to go forward and down to move back" feels far more natural.
  • The game will not center around the Umbrella Corporation nor feature any zombies.
  • The levels are much more open and there are virtually no load times of which to speak.
  • The enemies are much smarter this time out and will even try to trap you in places to kill you easier.
  • There are no pre-rendered movies in the game. Everything is handled with the game's engine. (The article proclaims that this is by far the best looking GameCube title ever, and looking at the screenshots, I can believe it.)

Pharmboy, are we drooling yet?

[*]The controls are basically the same as in past Resident Evil games with the left control stick used for movement, right trigger aims, A button fires, and the B button executes a quick turn around. Since the camera is fixed to the player's perspective, the familiar "push up to go forward and down to move back" feels far more natural.

Im curious if that means they retained the "spin in place" tank-like controls people dislike so much from the previous games or is there now full analog control? (Either way doesn't bother me much since the original RE controls never bothered me much).

Originally posted by FutureVoid@Feb 20 2004, 12:08 AM

Im curious if that means they retained the "spin in place" tank-like controls people dislike so much from the previous games or is there now full analog control? (Either way doesn't bother me much since the original RE controls never bothered me much).

You know, the article is not exactly clear in that regard. Given the fact that the game will take place on either a first-person or the behind-the-shoulder view, I'm thinking that the controls will feel a lot like Metroid Prime. You never know though. Perhaps once other websites and magazines can talk more about the game, they'll be able to elaborate more on how the game handles.

EDIT: Reading over the article again, I did notice that it says that the game feels a lot like a first-person shooter, which would lead me to think that the controls are indeed somewhat similar to Metroid Prime. In that case, I wonder how the aiming is handled. It says that you hold the right trigger to aim, but does that mean that Leon will automatically lock on to baddies as in past RE games, or will a crosshairs appear on screen allowing you to manually aim with the left control stick?

Geez! We learn so much about the game, but end up asking so many more questions!

The controls are basically the same as in past Resident Evil games with the left control stick used for movement, right trigger aims, A button fires, and the B button executes a quick turn around. Since the camera is fixed to the player's perspective, the familiar "push up to go forward and down to move back" feels far more natural.

Interesting, although looking back at the screenshots it's clear that you could control that RE-style and it would work a lot better than with the camera shifting of the previous titles.

No Umbrella or zombies, eh? No big loss, although I sniffle slightly at no longer being able to behead zombies, but that's what Zero and REmake are for ;). I'm glad the series is finally doing something a little different, though I personally would have been content to play zombie titles for years to come :green:.

Pharmboy, are we drooling yet?

I've been drooling since last E3 :P

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Bobbio@Mar 1 2004, 11:44 AM

WOW!!!!

You mean I could play this game with out run in place agaist the wall the whole time.

For you, Bobbio? No. But for the rest of us... yeah, probably, buddy. :green:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the new Edge arrived this morning, complete with big preview on this.

Its frankly stunning to look at. The text claims that all the cutscenes are done in-engine, and there are plenty of amazing shots complete with HUD stuff and targeting cursor on display.

Yes, we have no Zombies. We have no Zombies today. Instead, Kobayashi-san keeps using the word 'infected'. Which says No Zombies very, very much only in the way that 28 Days doesn't have Zombies; no lumbering slow, stupid things, basically. Instead we've got a whole bunch of fast-moving ex-humans carrying some sort of virus (which, no doubt, is going to be Umbrella-related after all).

And finally, the mag is bagged up. Because the front cover is Leon getting a chainsaw in the neck. Its quite remarkably gory.