LCVG

Punk Rock Music

Josh

I've been a punk rock denizen since the early 80s when it was still the real thing. 8)

I figured someone here besides myself must have a thing for the good ol' 80s punk stuff, so I decided to list my top 10 old school punk rock albums of all time. What are yours?

10. Broken Bones, "Dem Bones"

9. Agnostic Front, "Cause for Alarm"

8. Dead Kennedys, "Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables"

7. The Toy Dolls, "Dig That Groove, Baby"

6. Exploited, "Let's Start a War"

5. 7 Seconds, "New Wind"

4. Suicidal Tendencies, "Suicidal Tendencies"

3. The Adicts, "The Sound of Music"

2. GBH, "City Baby's Revenge"

1. The Jam, "This is the Modern World"

Not to offend, but try to keep it to early / 80s punk rock. Alternarock 90s stuff is something for another thread.

Let's see, I'd have to include:

Minor Threat: Complete Discography (since their other releases on wax are long OOP)

And even though it's not early 80s, I can't mention Minor Threat without mentioning

Fugazi: Repeater + 3 Songs.

Ian MacKaye and company have put out a lot of quality material.

Operation Ivy is good as well...although that's not early 80s. Hmmmm. I'm not much help on this, am I?

I'd second:

Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables

Also, I'm no expert in the punk rock field but Black Flag certainly deserves mention, too.

No particular order:

Ramones, Ramones

Clash, London Calling

Sex Pistols, Never Mind the Bullocks

Black Flag, Damaged

Dead Kennedys, Plastic Surgery Disasters

The Jam, In the City

The Circle Jerks, Group Sex

Husker Du, Zen Arcade

Violent Femmes, Violent Femmes

Elvis Costello, This Year's Model

I might also have included The Stooges' Raw Power (a little too early) and Motorhead's Motorhead (a little too metal). To be honest, I had to google to even remember a lot of the music and mostly went from album covers. For some reason, a lot of my memories of that time are indistinct, as if seen through a smoky haze.

Originally posted by stencil@Feb 13 2004, 12:10 PM

I've been a punk rock denizen since the early 80s when it was still the real thing. 8)

I figured someone here besides myself must have a thing for the good ol' 80s punk stuff, so I decided to list my top 10 old school punk rock albums of all time. What are yours?

10. Broken Bones, "Dem Bones"

9. Agnostic Front, "Cause for Alarm"

8. Dead Kennedys, "Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables"

7. The Toy Dolls, "Dig That Groove, Baby"

6. Exploited, "Let's Start a War"

5. 7 Seconds, "New Wind"

4. Suicidal Tendencies, "Suicidal Tendencies"

3. The Adicts, "The Sound of Music"

2. GBH, "City Baby's Revenge"

1. The Jam, "This is the Modern World"

Not to offend, but try to keep it to early / 80s punk rock. Alternarock 90s stuff is something for another thread.

Seeing The Jam is my alltime favorite band I'll inform you This is the Modern World is from circa '77 , most of mine incompass the 70's-80's and all UK except Mission of Burma

From the top down..........

1- The Undertones - The Undertones

2- The Clash - London Calling

3- The Jam - Setting Sons

4-Mission of Burma - Mission of Burma

5-The Buzzcocks - Singles Going Steady

6-Stiff Little Fingers- Inflammable Material

7-The Clash - The Clash

8-Gang of Four- Entertainment!

9-The Stranglers - Rattus Norregicus

10 999 - High Energy Plan

1. Pink Flag - Wire

2. Fun House - The Stooges

3. Jane From Occupied Europe - The Swell Maps

4. The Clash - The Clash

5. Second Edition (aka Metal Box) - Public Image Ltd.

6. Dragnet - The Fall

7. Los Angeles - X

8. Vs. - Mission of Burma

9. That's the Short and Long of It - The Tall Dwarfs

10. Eusa Kills - The Dead C

Picking just 10 is painful, there are so many worthwile albums that need to be known and loved.

Originally posted by HellToupee@Feb 13 2004, 06:46 PM

Seeing The Jam is my alltime favorite band I'll inform you This is the Modern World is from circa '77 , most of mine incompass the 70's-80's and all UK except Mission of Burma

Yes yes. 70s is totally fair game - I was just trying to keep the listing from any Green Day or Offspring poop. The Jam is perhaps my alltime favorite band as well, btw.

Originally posted by blackcalx@Feb 13 2004, 01:18 PM

Punk has never really settled with me, perhaps because of my age. About the only punk album I really enjoy (and I'm not really sure where it fits among the hardcore) is Bad Religion's Stranger Than Fiction.

I can sympathize. I tried to get into punk but didn't get very far. I did like the Dead Kennedys and Violent Femmes though.

I have always been into electronic music, so when some punk artists crossed over, like Ian MacKaye did with Ministry, or Jello Biafra did with "Lard" (also Ministry), I was down with it.

I have always been into electronic music, so when some punk artists crossed over, like Ian MacKaye did with Ministry, or Jello Biafra did with "Lard" (also Ministry), I was down with it.

I've got the Pailhead cd, and it's great. The Lard stuff is good too. I used to be really into Ministry and the Al Jourgensen sideprojects (Revolting Cocks, etc.) but there is one I've yet to hear: Buck Satan and his 666 Shooters.