LCVG

New Gaming Art Covers

Guest Jay

Does anyone know if their is a place where you can change the art cover for video games? I'm mad how people do it for the dvd's but not for vidoe games! Can you begin to imagine all the nice types of covers we can have for HALO, GTA Vice City, SPLINTER CELL and so on!? If anyone knows where they do them let me know, I would really appreciate it... If know one knows IF they do them, why wont we start one (if possible)?

Originally posted by Ryan FB@Feb 14 2004, 04:50 PM

I made a normal-sized GBP Startup Disc cover a while back, but didn't really find any "game cover art" sites like dvdcoverart does for DVD's. Here it is for anyone who's interested:

Gamecube---Gameboy-Player-t.jpg

Zipped High-Res Version (4.53MB)

Very cool! I hate the fact that they put it in that tiny little case, with the cover I'll probably put it in a bigger case.

I'm just curious why this is suddenly becoming such a hobby? Anyone care to (attempt to) explain it to me? What's wrong with the stock art? Do you really look at the box that much?

I just don't get it -but then I don't know the thoughts behind it either.

From what I gather, it's really a variety of different reasons.

• Putting discs in different cases than they originally came in. For example, needing a cover art conversion to put a disc from a "snapper" (Warner Bros.) style case into a "normal" DVD keepcase. Or putting a multi-disc release whose packaging you don't like into a multi-disc keepcase. Or converting your entire collection to Thinpak :shock: ;).
  • Some people just don't like some kinds of cover art. For example, "floating heads" style covers are absolutely despised by a few people. There are some DVD's whose covers are just really, really poorly designed, so people feel a need to provide alternatives.
  • Alternatives and choice are really a big reason. Some of the fan-made covers are beautiful. Like Ric Easton's LOTR covers, or his Twilight Zone covers.

In the end, it really just comes down to aesthetics.

I think it started with people buying used DVDs at places like Blockbuster where the covers for some of those DVDs weren't available. I could be wrong though.

I, for one, am a big fan of alternate cover art. I hate it when a studio changes the cover of a release from what the initial release poster was. But then, someone would create one from a teaser poster which totally rocks and is actually better than the original poster art.

For me, how my DVD collection looks is as important as how my movies look and sound. So, having the spine on DVDs with sequels match is a big deal for me.

It's expensive but so is everything about home theater and video games so, for me, it goes hand-in-hand.

Well I don't get it :D

Anyone that does it apparently has TOO much time on their hands. I'd rather be watching a movie or playing a game than spending a few hours switching the art for some DVDs that I will only watch maybe one other time. Then again that stuff really isn't that important to me since my game collection decorates the floor along with DVDs that get chucked there along with them. hehe.... all the games were neatly packed into storage bins but it just takes one visit from some friends to tear all my hard work apart as they dig through the bins and string stuff all over the bloody floor. "Do we want this one or this one?" Games are flying everywhere... Gawd the first time it happened I wanted to strangle them all but didn't. Last month when they did it AGAIN I just said F-it and wherever the games lay they lay. LOL One of these days I will get my stuff together and it will be neat again in a more practical manner. I swear it!

I'm curious towards the alternative covers for video games since I first began to see dad changing his DVD's.... After a while it seemed more like a hobby to him than anything else... But my thing is this, in my opinion those same people that own DVD's and do their little thing with the covers for the DVD's, must own a game console, and most likely enjoy playing games as much as we do... Hell, some of the guys here must do the same thing too excluding my dad from that! :green: So if it's also true what both my dad ANGEL and Ryan said:

- Putting discs in different cases than they originally came in. For example, needing a cover art conversion to put a disc from a "snapper" (Warner Bros.) style case into a "normal" DVD keepcase. Or putting a multi-disc release whose packaging you don't like into a multi-disc keepcase. Or converting your entire collection to Thinpak. (RYAN)

- For me, how my DVD collection looks is as important as how my movies look and sound. So, having the spine on DVDs with sequels match is a big deal for me. (ANGEL)

What makes us as gamers not be able to change our sometimes non-beutiful covers into something "SPECTACULAR"! I think that having changed an art cover for a game that I dislike or am just sick of playing, would actually get me into the game! But I can only speak for myself... I know you guys must be wondering why would I pick up a game that I don't play or just don't like because I changed the cover?! Well to me it's a thrill. I finished MGS 2 back when it came out and I almost have all the DOG TAGS but then I just got tired of the game! I still have it because I know that when the next one comes out I'm going to play the 1st one and the second one, and continue collecting the DOG TAGS! The bottom line is just a thrill to do something that you like to do a lot! But I can only ask for just so much! I thrive on the day someone opens up web-site for "GAMING ART COVERS".... If anyone is down for doing one, you let me know I would like to be part of a project like that! ;) It'll be a lot of work, but well worth my time!

As far as games i dont see a need for new cover art. however with dvd's its another story.

For example the only thing ive done alt cover art for is TV show stuff. Farscape original came out 1 disc at a time. So i bought cases that hold 5 dvd's a piece to save space on my shelves. That sort of thing

capt