LCVG

Adventures in Gaming: The Significant Other

Romier S

You know it wasn't but a few months ago that my wife would only ever touch The Sims in the comfort and confines of my computer. However I'm getting ahead of myself, let me start back at the beginning. You see there was a time when my wife wouldn't even take a second glance at a game or console. Just had no interest at all. That is until I brought home The Sims one day and well two years, 4 gigs and some $160 dollars later we are 6 expansions in and my wife finally tells me shes tired of playing. So i uninstalled The Sims and much to my chagrin I figured my wifes gaming career was over. After all I do love my wife but when it comes down to gaming it was just not something we shared.

Fast forward to January 2004. Scott (Buck) and I made plans to get together at his house and do some more marathon gaming ala the last RSGH. Joey (CaptDS9E) joined us for the get together and much to my suprise my wife mentioned that she was interested in going. I'll be honest and I say that I was totally leary about this. I mean we're talking the hardest of hardcore gaming here. Almost non-stop balls to walls gaming and my non-gamer of a wife sitting there bored out of her mind. I didn't know if I could subject her to such a state of being but she was adamant in wanting to meet one of my partners on the site (who wants to meet Kelley anyway? :D ) and one of the people I've spent alot of my time playing games with over the past 3-4 years. So off we went. "Once more unto the breach" so to speak.

So by now we're deep into day two of our visit and lo and behold my wife is playing Kung-fu Chaos, Fuzion Frenzy, Pacman Vs. and Super Monkey Ball. Much like the old commercial....."Mikey (or in this case Sara) likes it" . The whole trip was a great time for everyone but really the biggest source of pleasure for me was seeing how much fun my wife had.

Of course like any man who's wife has a temporary loss of sanity I expected this to be an isolated incident. I was wrong and I'm happy to say it. When we got home my wife has been constantly bugging me to play Kung Fu Chaos, Pacman Vs. She's an absolute addict of Wario Ware Inc. Its to the point now in fact that my wife asked me to buy her her very own GBASP and without hesitation I did so. A week or so ago I recieved my biggest shock when I was on the fence about buying Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. I really wasn't going to pick it up but my wife asked me to get and said she would be happy to play it with me. So along with her new GBA we also picked her up a GBA/GCN link cable.

I guess the point here is that I'm really just happy to see my wife taking such a genuine interest in a hobby that is at this point, far more than a hobby to me. Even more important is that I now have a steady gaming partner who I can share some of these games with.

With that I'd like some of you other married or committed folks to share some of your "Adventures in Gaming: The Significant Other" stories. Has the love of your life always been a gamer or did you need to convert her/him? Or does your significant other scoff at the possibility of ever spending more than three minutes playing a game? Please share.

Well, my story isn't as severe a turnaround as Romier's but similar in many respects.

My fiancee, Tracey, was a casual gamer (a little Atari 2600 as a kid, but nothing since in the way of real gaming) when I met her. She knew I was a gamer, but we had plenty of other things in common (particularly movies).

Her indoctrination began slowly. :twisted: I am a strategy nut and was able to get her hooked on Disciples: Sacred Lands and Disciples II: Dark Prophecy. But the real gaming breakthrough came with Dark Age of Camelot.

As I have noted in other posts, I always swore I would never pay a monthly fee for a game. I resisted EverQuest, Ultima Online, and Asheron's Call, but Romier (may he burn in hell for this) talked me into trying DAoC. I was hooked from the very first session. Shortly after I started playing, Tracey expressed an interest in trying it out. A few days later the only fights we had were over whose night it was to play DAoC (we only had one computer at the time).

Well, a second computer and multiple consoles later she is almost as big a gamer as I am. She plays everything from Gauntlet: Dark Legacy to Super Monkey Ball to Warcraft II Multiplayer.

It sure makes life easier when I need to beg for upgrades! :D

I wish my GF was more into a larger variety of games, but as it is she'll play the Space Channel 5's, Samba de Amigos and Dance Dance Revolutions, but beyond those games her interest wains. She will play a few sport titles like tennis and golf. Thank God she likes Links 2003. Currently her favorite is DDR as she uses it as part of her daily workout. Figures she loves DDR and I can't even compete,... I try, to little avail. If anyone sees my rhythm, please e-mail me a.s.a.p. :)

My wife likes games in phases. Usually a couple per game system. She was obsessed with Tekken 3 for the PS1, that is to say, she liked kicking my ass at it.

Then we butted heads continually with "The New Tetris" on N64. Great game.

Then the Dreamcast introduced her to Crazy Taxi, which was an obsession for her. Soul Caliber was her new way of kicking my ass for that generation.

Xbox has brought a bit more variety. DOA3 succeeded Soul Caliber. SSX Tricky challenged Crazi Taxi for most addicting game. Top Spin introduced her to XBlive - she played online when I wasn't available. Now she loves DDR.

Sounds like she is very supportive of gaming, but really, the above games span over a half-decade.

Sounds like she is very supportive of gaming, but really, the above games span over a half-decade.

Well to be fair being supportive and partaking are two very different things. My wife has always been very supportive about my gaming habits. She doesn't ever say word one when I go out to buy a game and as long as she gets her share of shoes, clothes and victoria secret all is well. However until recently she has never really partaken in any kind of gaming and I'm personally enjoying the change.

Originally posted by AnthonyVolpe@Feb 17 2004, 11:48 PM

We got ten yards from Electronics Boutique and the first words out of her mouth were "don't even think about going in there."

Never called her back.

You should have said the same thing to her when you approached a store she wanted to visit.

I actually have my girlfriend to thank for getting me back into gaming. After a bout of frustration with the few PS2 games that I owned I put the console aside for some months needing a break. My girlfriend was always commenting to me about a coworker of hers who does nothing but play games all the time. She couldn't understand how anybody could waste so much time on games like that. One day last year for the heck of it I decided to rent Gauntlet: Dark Legends. I recalled spending many hours with friends on the original arcade game and I thought a co-op game might be fun for us. She was very intimidated by the PS2 controller and all those buttons. The first night we played for a couple hours and she was hooked. The first thing she wanted to do the next morning was go back and play some more. One week I left the PS2 at her house and she decided to start up a new game on her own.

This actually reignited my own interest in gaming and I soon went out and picked up Ratched and Clank: Going Commando. In between our sessions of Gauntlet she would watch me play R&C with a lot of interest. She didn't think she could handle the complexity of the controls, though. One day she decided she wanted to give it a try, and she's still at it, and doing pretty well. We finished Gauntlet and have recently picked up Baldur's Gate: Dark alliance. After some frustration learning the new controls, etc. She's completely engrossed in this game as well. I have told her about several games I am interested in getting that I have read about here on LCVG, and she's all for it. Now she tells me she wishes she had her own PS2 to keep at her house. She's commented that sometime soon we should get an X Box to keep at my house so that she can keep the PS2 at her place. Can't argue with that!

My suggestion to any of you who's SO might have a little interest in gaming, but are intimidated by the seeming complexity of it, try a co-op game like Gauntlet. It's an easy way to get the feel of things and you can help them and play together, rather than compete against them, which can cause frustration I think.

Originally posted by AnthonyVolpe@Feb 17 2004, 11:48 PM

"don't even think about going in there."

That's what she said. Oh wait, it really is what she said. :green:

My wife has never played videogames save a few games of centipede here and there. It might actually be a good thing. Let me explain:

About 14 years ago when we got our first PC, I showed her how to play Solitaire. She proceeded to spend every waking moment obsessed with that game.

Once after she promised she was going to have "one more game" and come to bed, I awoke the next morning to find her still playing!!

So, I don't press the issue with her. Every once in a while we'll cajole her into

a game of Mario Party or something, but she prefers to stay away.

I do wish she would agree to co-pilot me through some Survival Horror titles, as I'm too chicken to go through them alone.

Carlos.

For my wife, she really goes in phases. She loves the Mario titles, and plays through them as best as she can. The only thing that holds her back is the fact that she can't beat most of the bosses, try as she does.

Lately her games have been Jak and Daxter and Mario and Luigi.

We're about to try Crystal Chronicles. Hopefully she enjoys it.

Glen

Originally posted by exile@Feb 18 2004, 10:42 AM

who wants to meet Kelley anyway

I did and I can't complain about it. It's nice once in a while to meet others who live in the same town and share similar hobbies.

Yes it is exile! we definetely have to do it again sometime soon.

My boyfriend is 51, but he's a very young-at-heart, irreverent 51 year old and he's never had a problem with me playing games. In fact, as many of you know, when my Xbox was on the fritz with Dirty Disc errors, he finally got so tired of seeing the problem that he bought me a new Xbox!

He likes to play certain kinds of games. The game he got the most addicted to was SSX Tricky, I had to fight him to play that one. He also really likes SMB1&2, especially Monkey Target and Bowling, he likes Animal Crossing a lot. We also played Mario Golf and Hot Shots golf quite a bit, but he's not too keen on the more 'simulator' golf games like Links or TW.

As far as handhelds go, he's into a few GBA games, especially Pokemon Pinball. And like me, he's pretty dedicated to PalmOS puzzle and board games, like Bubblet, Wordlet, Backgammon, and Bejeweled.

Games he doesn't like to play are ones that require quick reflexes and controller skills, like racing games, FPS (which I rarely play anyway), or shooters.

I can't say that games have had a major affect on our relationship one way or another, we've certainly had a lot of fun playing them together, but we have fun doing almost anything.

EDIT: For reference, we've been together for 6 years and first met about 12 years ago.

My girlfriend has gotten into gaming just recently. I don't think she's going to be catassing her way through EQ or anything (thank god), but the potential for the two of us to play games together has never been greater. She took the initiative the other day and bought Mario Party 4, and we played that one into the ground. Last night she invited her sister and cousin over to play, and after I patronizingly instructed them on how to play the game, they all proceeded to hand me my ass in any mini-game that requires rapid button mashing (domination, medly). My girlfriend is probably going to move into my town in Animal Crossing (that is possible, right?), too. So the outlook is good, but I still can't find anyone to play Timesplitters with.

My soon to be wife was gaming a few years before I ever meet her. Her ex is big into computers and gaming so she got into it as well. I?ve been gaming since the days of Coleco Vision.

She?s mostly into platformer or adventure games, with an occasional multiplayer game thrown in for fun. She loves Tiger Woods, but hates Links (damn it). She?s playing through Voodoo Vince right now and has recently completed Jak II and Ratchet and Clank: GC. I just bought Sphinx for her the other day. She actually plays through more games than I do! :P

I doubt you?ll ever catch her playing on Live though. Not her style, and she doesn?t like FPSs very much either. So she?s not the best gaming buddy ever, but she doesn?t mind me playing games, and I certainly don?t mind if she does. I actually enjoy watching her play through platformers, as I know I won?t have the time myself. I still get a pretty good idea of the quality of the game that way. Of course I still play all the Zelda and Mario games myself, and she sits back and enjoys the story.

And hey, her taking online classes "required" us to get broadband, so of course I had to buy a router and xbox live :twisted:

My girlfriend is probably going to move into my town in Animal Crossing (that is possible, right?), too.

Yes, I think up to 4 people can live in a town, but you might want to consider buying another memory card and having her setup her own town. Then you can visit each other's town and pick up items that are more valuable when you go back to your own town.

Plus in the new town you get a whole new raft of characters that will start to move back and forth between the towns.

My boyfriend and I did this, and it was kind of funny to see each of us take it personally when someone moved out of our respective towns to live in the other's town. And it was kind of a coup to have someone we both liked move into one of our towns...silly, I know... :lol: