LCVG

BAM! buys VIS (developer of State of Emergency)

Romier S

Heres the report:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/stateofe...ws_6089546.html

Bam! Entertainment today announced that it has agreed terms to acquire VIS Entertainment, the Scottish developer responsible for State of Emergency. Under the terms of the arrangement, Bam! will also acquire SOE Development Limited (SOED), a company set up to fund the development of State of Emergency 2 last year.

The proposed acquisition, which has already been approved by both companies' respective boards of directors, would effectively result in the companies merging and being led by executives from both camps. The company's first joint project is expected to be the continued development and subsequent publishing of State of Emergency 2.

"The proposed acquisition provides the opportunity for both Bam and VIS to share and develop their strengths under one roof," added Chris van der Kuyl, president and CEO of VIS. "We have discussed the potential for the combined businesses at great length, and we are convinced that this marriage of developer and publisher represents the way forward for the games and digital entertainment sector."

This is such a sad, sad quote. I'm far from a fan of VIS (though I know people who work there - Scotland is a small country, industry wise) but their big reason d'etre recently has been to pursue alternative financing schemes outside the usual publisher/developer relationship. This is a big step back from that. I guess they really were in dire straits financially.

Originally posted by dogbert@Feb 18 2004, 05:05 PM

This is a big step back from that. I guess they really were in dire straits financially.

...especially since they shacked up with BAM!, who's facing being delisted from NASDAQ a second time... Skimming through some news articles, VIS actually bought a floundering British studio from BAM! a while back and subsequently closed it. Perhaps two companies that are financially-shaky individually will be more stable together. Kinda doubtful, though.

I suppose it's possible that the two could shore one another up financially, but I also doubt it. More often than not in these types of situations this ends up being a weakest link type situation with two weak links. This just has the look of an act of desperation that I doubt will do much to resuscitate either company.

• 1 year later...

Here's more on that closure you were talking about Brian. Looks like full on bankruptcy is the order of the day for VIS:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/04/08/news_6121910.html

The Edinburgh, Scotland-based newspaper, The Scotsman, reported yesterday that hometown game developer VIS Entertainment has filed for bankruptcy. The State of Emergency developer has laid off 54 staffers, effective immediately, at its Dundee, Scotland-based headquarters. The Scotsman identified VIS as that country's largest game development studio.

Sorry, I should have been clearer - administration means bankruptcy in Scotland :) The company is handed over to a team of administrators from an accountacy firm that attempts to figure out what can be done to keep the company afloat or what can be sold off to pay off debts.

The report quoted is slightly wrong - the Dundee office was not VIS' headquarters. There's still staff at the Edinburgh office, allegedly to finish State of Emergency 2.

I hear that their "Brave" platformer they're doing for SCEE that's getting pretty positive press has been in development for six years...