LCVG

How many units will Halo 2 sell?

foogledricks

1 member has voted

1. 1. How many units will Halo 2 sell?

• 2 Million (Ironically, a relative failure)
    • 4 Million (Par)
    • 6 Million (Big Success)
    • 8 Million (Get me some Microsoft Stock)
    • 10 Million (In your dreams Bill)

I am very interested how Halo 2 will do. I mean, assuming it is absolutely awesome, what would be a reasonable sales expectation? If 4 million people bought Halo, then those people are potential consumers for Halo 2, but not ALL of them will buy Halo 2. That never happens. So the question becomes, how many people that DIDN'T buy Halo 1 will buy Halo 2? I have no idea, but I'm betting 1 million. So I think matching Halo 1, at 4 million is the most reasonable guess, and that is what I said.

Halo will be facing stiff competition from Doom 3 and Half-Life 2. Both of those games will equal or surpass Halo 2 in the graphics department, so Halo will have more to live up to the longer it's delayed.

Then again it depends on how the multiplayer aspects of Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 pan out, so I might just be blowing smoke out my ass...

Halo will be facing stiff competition from Doom 3 and Half-Life 2

By competition you mean 'sales' competition. As in, people only have so much time and money and having to choose between these three games will hurt Halo 2's sales, right? Since none of these games have release dates, I think it is a minor concern.

Besides, people who 'choose' Half-Life 2 or Doom 3 over Halo 2 would probably fall into the PC demographic of people, detracting from direct competition anyway.

Don't mean to spend so much time on this minor point, but I see people weighing the success of Halo 2, Duke Nukem Forever, Doom 3, and Half-Life 2 against each other, as if great games can't co-exist in the same generation (once again assuming that any of these games will come out in the next decade ;) )

• 4 weeks later...

I picked 6 mil.

What is the installed user base of Xbox consoles anyway? From this, I'm specifically wondering what percentage of Xbox users also own Halo? Halo 2 WILL be an incredible seller that will not only mean a purchase from a huge percentage of the already-installed base, but will help sell more Xbox consoles too.

This will be THE Xbox game to own.

• 1 month later...

Given the Halo exposure this week, I thought I'd bring this back. I think there are 10 million XB consoles sold, is that true? Given Microsoft's promised marketing campaign, I wouldn't be surprised if people buy Halo 2 even if they don't have an Xbox. PS2 owners will wonder why it doesn't boot up. Gamecube owners will wonder why it doesn't fit. N64 owners will be all confused.

Guest Bryan

I'll be buying 2,000,000 copies.

We won't know the results of this poll for several years because Halo is still in the top ten on a regular basis and you can't stop counting its sales yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I think 6 million totally makes sense. As much hype as Halo 2 is getting, if Halo 2 does sell 6 million, how will that compare to the likes of Madden, Grand Theft Auto, Final Fantasy, and all those other blockbuster games? What are the best selling games of all time? Half-life? The Sims?

Over what timescale? US only?

What are the best selling games of all time? Half-life? The Sims?

Rough figures for USA only:

GTA:VC - ~6m

GTA3 ~5m

GT3A ~3.4

Madden2004 ~3.3

Halo ~3m

SuperSmashBros ~2.2m

MarioKart ~1.5m

SplinterCell ~1.4m

For comparision from the "last gen":

Mario64 ~6m

Goldeneye ~5m

Crash Bandicoot2 ~3.1m

GT ~3.1m

No idea about PC sales. The Sims + add-on packs is a huge seller. Best selling of all time is probably one of the early Mario games.