LCVG

Danny Elfman writing Fable theme

Romier S

Report is over at Gamespot:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/rpg/fable/new...ws_6089695.html

Microsoft Game Studios has announced the creator of the Spider-Man, Batman, and The Simpsons themes will write the title song for the Xbox-exclusive role-playing game, Fable. According to MGS, Elfman personally selected the orchestra to record the Fable theme in full 5.1 Dolby Surround Sound.

Funny; I remember watching one of the video/previews for Fable and, the music reminded me HEAVILY of an Elfman type of theme. Sounded like something from out of Edward Sissorhands. Very fantasy sounding.

He seems like an absolutely perfect fit for Fable.

I think Oingo Boingo sucked ass but, there's no denying Elfmans genius if you've ever seen Nightmare Before Christmas.

And reading between the lines on that GameSpot article, he didn't actually conduct it either - just "picked" which orchestra...

Well Elfman actually never conducts his work. He usually drafts in Steve Bartek to do his orchestrations, and conductors of his scores can vary from recording to recording.

Also, I take it Gamespot referring to the piece as a "song" is their ignorance in not referring to a single orchestral score piece correctly as a cue, or is it genuinely a song with orchestral underscore like some of the later Oingo Boingo stuff? I?m drawn to believe it is the former.

Ok....now I actually have a reason to buy a Harry Potter game of all things!!

Jeremy Soule has been scoring the (3D Platform) Potter games since day one with Philosopher's Stone (Sorcerer's Stone to you crazy Americans) on the old Playstation. I believe his score for that was reused for the recent next-gen revisions of the first game. Good scores, and nice games too. He had a good sized orchestra for the Potter games instead of sythesizers.

He should be scoring the Prisoner of Azkaban (the third Potter platform outing) game this year. Don't forget he also scored Knights of the Old Republic as well (not with an orchestra, sadly), so he's no stranger to game music beyond the borders of the PC that's for sure. I THINK he also did Quidditch World Cup. He did Star Wars: Bounty Hunter for consoles too.

Daniel

You know, there's just something about those orchestral scores that just lends an air of seriousness to just about anything they're placed on. At least it does for me.

Freedom Fighters is a recent and good example of this. It says somewhere in the credits what orchestra they used: something like Prague's. Anyhoo...the music made the game just seem that more serious.

I think this will be a very good move for Fable.

Orchestra scores = less cheese. ;)

I think Oingo Boingo sucked ass but, there's no denying Elfmans genius if you've ever seen Nightmare Before Christmas.

Them's fightin' words. Unless you've heard anything other than things off of Dead Man's Party (Dead Man's Party, Just Another Day, Weird Science, etc.), shush. Oingo Boingo was brilliant.

Well Elfman actually never conducts his work. He usually drafts in Steve Bartek to do his orchestrations, and conductors of his scores can vary from recording to recording.

That's true. In fact, he can't even read or write music all that well. Bartek has been doing his orchestrations since 1981 with Boingo.