LCVG

Eternal Darkness sequel?

Dino

As much as I would love to get a sequel to Eternal Darkness I think the chance is pretty slim. The original titles sales were less than stellar so I think that Nintendo will probably look to direct their resources to more profitable enterprises.

I hope I'm wrong on this, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

I too would love to see a sequel to ED, but the game had poor sales figures, in spite of it's critical acclaim.

It's the one game my friend consistently plays. He calls it "Scary Game", and he's probably yanked the controller out of my Gamecube a hundred times. He refuses to play it by himself. :)

but the game had poor sales figures

I don't think a sequel is out of the question to be honest. The game did not bust through as a runaway success but it did enjoy some moderate sales (at the end of '03 I believe the game sat at near 275k sold). Given the critical success I wouldn't throw hope to the wind just yet..

Originally posted by Dino@Feb 19 2004, 10:53 PM

That's a shame. I guess ED is in the company of Beyond Good and Evil and Prince of Persia then. Any one of those games is worth 3 of many others.

Well, don't forget that Prince of Persia IS getting a sequel as Ubi Soft already announced it.

While there is always the possibility of ED getting a sequel, nothing has been announced yet. Silicon Knights(developers of ED) just finished working on Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes. From what I hear they did an incredible job with the game and even introduced a few "sanity" effects in it. You may want to pick that game up in March when it comes out if you're interested in playing the latest Silicon Knights game.

Also, there's been numerous talks that Silicon Knights is working on this sci fi psychlogical thriller game called Too Human. It was originally supposed to come out for the GC but I think it got pushed back to the N5. From what little I've read, it looks to be every bit as creative and creepy as Eternal Darkness.

Yeah, I think a sequel to ED is not out of the realm of possibility because it sold "ok" (despite the fact that it should have sold quite a bit more in my opinion ;)).

The real 'problem' is that SK is not, to my knowledge, a particularly huge company so they are pretty focused on their projects. The last one being MGS:TS and as noted they're still working on Too Human for some point in the future.

I'd love to see a sequel though, so many eras they could mess around with that they haven't yet. And of course a sequel is semi-implied by the secret ending.

Speaking of sanity effects I see the game 'The Suffering' Also has a type of insanity effect as well. Another really creepy game for the library.

There was just something really unique about Eternal Darkness though that I think only a sequel could provide that experience again. Eternal Darkness isn't really my cup of tea either, and yet It became a favorite. It had, mystery, puzzle solving, good story, excellent atmosphere, decent graphics, good fighting, allowed gameplay as several different characters to mix it up, & had multiple choices for a different ending. It really had it all.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after all this badgering, I finally got Eternal Darkness and tried it for the first time last night. Its rather funky so far (I've just done the initial Roman guy chapter), and while the combat engine isn't really doing it for me yet the atmosphere is rather cool. I also like the fact it supports 16x9 (even though cutscenes are boxed on all four sides, which is odd). No sign of hallucinations yet, though, which probably explains why its not really doing 'scary' for me so far.

edit - one thing I forgot to laud to high heaven was the movement controls. Nothing special in any normal context, but as someone who blew ?20 on Resident Evil 2 for me to fail to get past the second screen because the controls were so terrible I'm inclined to rename the game Eternally Grateful.

I dunno that ED is particularly ooga-booga scary, but the relentlessly eerie nature of it can get to you after a bit :). The Pious section is nothing more than a tutorial level, really, you're not going to see much by way of sanity effects until the new few levels.

The reason I like ED is because it's exceptionally well-written and the presentation is sweet. Oh, if you don't think it's scary at all and need a little kick, do some touring of the mansion as Alex. Hehehe, I bet most people who played the game know what I'm talking about.

edit - If you're playing a Cube RE2, try control-C. I find it is the most user-friendly movement scheme ;). Mark = control-c zealot.

No Cube RE2 for me; its the original PS version from the week I bought my Playstation. I'd already got rid of the execrable Gun Survivor and switched it for the game, so I couldn't bring myself to take that back too.

I've seen some vaguely spooky stuff around the mansion so far, but the repeating creaks and 'ghostly' noises became merely comical after the 20th time. I'm digging all the really subtle Lovecraft gags, though.

We met up with a Nintendo rep at a store and while he could not tell us anything definite, he did say that Eternal Darkness is one of the games Nintendo would like to see a sequel to. I am hoping it does get made. We had just decided we were going to start renting same games as we were tired of being disappointed by hyped up games that did not deliver as promised. We got back from the store, sat down and started playing. Not even 30 minutes later, we looked at each other and said " We have to go buy this ASAP. " :tu:

• 2 weeks later...

Mmm, wouldn't you just like some fresh ED2 news? Well, I can't give any confirmations and this is from IGN's N-Query which is dubiously valued, but hey, better than nothing and I know a few of us want it to be true :).

Apparently Silicon Knights has said they would like to do the sequel.

Not enough? Apparently the script for the sequel is already written. Now we just need to go after SK Valve-HL2 code style and lift a copy of it so we can see what the hell happens (literally) :green: