LCVG

FBI Warning labels coming to a game near you.

Romier S

Reported over at Gamespot:

http://www.gamespot.com/all/news/news_6089705.html

Starting this year, a warning label with the same message will be affixed to every new videotape, CD, DVD, and game released in America. The labeling program was announced a joint press conference by representatives of the FBI, the Entertainment Software Association, and other entertainment lobbies.

I've become so accustomed to it on a DVD it doesn't even bother me anymore. It will definitely take some getting used to when I start up a new game...

Originally posted by DataScion@Feb 19 2004, 10:54 PM

Every time they do something like this it begins to get my hackles up. It just feels like the precursors to real censorship just keep marching in. I'm just really sick and tired of people telling me what it is acceptable for me to consume for my entertainment dollar.

To my understanding, it's just a warning to deter piracy. I don't really associate that with censorship...

Originally posted by adamsappel@Feb 19 2004, 09:02 PM

I wonder if you'll be able to skip past it, or if it will stay on the screen for as long as the FBI estimates we slack-jawed gamers can read.

That's really my only concern. Although if DVDs are any indication you won't be able to skip past it...most (if not all) DVDs won't let you. Or maybe it's just my player?

Originally posted by blackcalx@Feb 20 2004, 02:23 PM

I have to wonder, though, if this is indicative of an impending push for investigation and prosecution. I've never heard of anybody being prosecuted for copying a VHS tape for personal use despite the warning that always appears, so will copying games be any different?

Yeah, they mostly seem to go after mass-copiers, people who make copies to sell.

As far as coping VHS vs games, I believe that game might be covered under the DMCA, I doubt that VHS is...

Originally posted by FreakTornado+Feb 20 2004, 05:29 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FreakTornado @ Feb 20 2004, 05:29 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-blackcalx@Feb 20 2004, 02:23 PM

I have to wonder, though, if this is indicative of an impending push for investigation and prosecution. I've never heard of anybody being prosecuted for copying a VHS tape for personal use despite the warning that always appears, so will copying games be any different?

Yeah, they mostly seem to go after mass-copiers, people who make copies to sell.

As far as coping VHS vs games, I believe that game might be covered under the DMCA, I doubt that VHS is... [/b]

VHS is covered specifically in "certain analog devices." 17 USC 1201(k) (1998).

IMHO this is another example of something that will annoy millions in a fruitless attempt to deter the few.. It's laughable to think that the piracy operations in Hong Kong, etc. are going to see the FBI warning and decide to stop copying games.. It's not like the warning has ever stopped them from ripping movies in the past.