LCVG

The Longest Journey: Dreamfall Discussion

Romier S

Here is the report:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/longe...ws_6089699.html

Nearly a year after it was first announced, the sequel to game The Longest Journey has finally started taking shape. Developer/Publisher Funcom announced the 3D adventure will now be released in Fall 2005 with a new title, Dreamfall. Previously, the game was known as The Longest Journey: Static.

Again I would like to comment on my undying appreciation for TLJ as being one of the best adventure games realeased in years (when it was released). The sequel finally looks to be moving ahead and the most interesting aspect is where part of the funding is coming from.

2005 is a long way from now but if the sequel has anywhere near the polish of the first it should be killer. (doubt we'll see a console version however since Funcom has all but written off console development. Anyone thats hopeful don't hold your breath. :cry: ).

The Longest Journey was a rare gem that didn't get nearly the sales it deserved in my opinion. They managed to make a true adventure game (not the hybrids we see these days) that had a depth of story that is in many ways unmatched to this day. I just hope the sequel lives up to the predecessor.

Damn....now I have to go home and dig the discs back out. I have the sudden urge to play through it again.

I had to track that damn thing down on eBay and ship my CDs to the UK when it did arrive because of a packaging error that gave me two Disc 1's instead of Disc 1 and 2.

And for all that, totally worth the experience. There were a couple of flaws/things I thought were niggly poor game design, but that was literally two things. The bulk of the story and the puzzles were awesome :).

The genre is definitely an acquires taste.

True enough, but anyone who was gaming back in the early days of Sierra remembers fondly the adventure games of old. Hell, some of my first forays into PC gaming were with King's Quest, Space Quest, and Quest for Glory (Then known as Hero's Quest).

I'm glad to see that the genre is being kept alive.

• 10 months later...

Fantastic looking stuff. The Longest Journey ranks very high on my list of best adventure games out there. Ragnar Tornquist is returning for the story so I expect some great things in terms of story continuation. In reading about April it seems she has gone through some striking changes in both appearance and outlook. I hope she does not lose the snarky attitude I grew to love in The Longest Journey. (ie don't pull a Warrior Within on us Funcom ;) )

The new engine is also striking and I'm curious if the it is indeed full 3D or it continues the pre-rendered images of the previous game. Some info on Gamespot may shed some light:

What we've seen of Dreamfall seemed extremely impressive. The game is powered by all-new technology in the form of a German-developed graphics engine called "Shark 3D," which will power both Dreamfall and other upcoming games from Funcom. The engine makes use of sophisticated lighting and dynamic shadow features, detailed skeletal and facial animations on characters, and bump maps and environment maps all over the game's different worlds.

The game may also make an appearance on consoles with Tornquist and company apparently being very interested in XNA (an Xbox version doesn't seem out of the question.)

You can read more here:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/longe...ew_6098640.html

In reading about April it seems she has gone through some striking changes in both appearance and outlook.

Ah, that's who the mean looking character was! :lol:

I'm liking the Zoe. She seems to have the same sort of attitude that April had, though it's hard to tell just from screenies. No-brainer buy for me, TLJ is indeed one of the best adventure games ever made.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There's a preview of Dreamfall up at GameSpot.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/longestjourney2wt/preview_6120016.html

I love what they reveal of the story.

I'm a little more conflicted over the fact that the game will have combat. I guess it's what companies have to do to make money off an adventure game these days, or at least that's the perception. Smush in other genres. I'll reserve judgement until I play it, but it seems like the traditional adventure game will slowly continue to slide into the domain of niche companies and freeware from genre enthusiasts.

Also not very high on having in-game combat but if the preview is to be believed, it will be an optional solution to some of the games problems and it will not be forced on the player. Much like yourself Mark, I'll have to wait and see before making any judgements.

The story does however sound intriguing. The setting and art design were always the key components in making The Longest Journey such a joy to play. April and her snappy comebacks helped as well. Having watched the gameplay video they have of the city of Casablanca, I can already tell the score will be as fantastic as the games prequel. The graphics are also coming along nicely, though some of the screenshots do it no justice. Definitely take a look at the game in motion before making any snap judgements.

I'm a little more conflicted over the fact that the game will have combat. I guess it's what companies have to do to make money off an adventure game these days, or at least that's the perception. Smush in other genres. I'll reserve judgement until I play it, but it seems like the traditional adventure game will slowly continue to slide into the domain of niche companies and freeware from genre enthusiasts.

I wouldn't have minded a pure adventure game either but I'm not totally surprised since Ragnar had been talking about shifting genres for the sequel as soon as the first game was released. I think at one point he even kicked around the idea of making the sequel an RTS. So from that standpoint, I'm pleasantly surprised that the sequel looks to be so faithful to the first game.

• 2 months later...

Lordy that looks wonderful indeed. Especially loved the music during the trailer. I was commenting to Travis on AIM that it's pretty funny that the two biggest games I'm looking forward to so far this year are both adventure games: Dreamfall and Indigo Prophecy.

I still ned to FINISH the original. Very good game. I was late in getting into TLJ because I didn't play PC games from like 2000-2003 (outdated PC that I didnt bother upgrading). When I finally got a new gaming rig in early 2004 TLJ was one of the first games I fired up. However games like FarCry, Riddick, and Half-Life 2 found their way into my gaming rotation and I kind of forgot to get back into TLJ. I have so many games that I haven't finished though that the thought of reinstalling them and trying to finish them seems too daunting of a task. Oh well... Wow just watched the E3 2005 trailer for Dreamfall. Looks fantastic. They have come a long way from the early screenshots I saw. Can't wait to get into this game and actually FINISH it. ;)

BTW if you dig good movie scores you should check out the soundtrack to TLJ. It's great. :tu