LCVG

Nintendo 64 recommendations

secretvampire

IN NOTE: TOPIC SPLIT FROM GAME GEAR THREAD

Except for the price, you just described the Game Gear as well.

I suppose so, but at least it has a unique selection of games. I won an auction for a nice unit including the TV tuner, AC adapter, car adapter, and some games for $60. So basically I got a nice retro system that also doubles as a portable TV...I'm pretty excited to play around with it. Need to find a few more games for it though. I will also probably pick up one of the "Master Gear Convertors" that allows you play old Sega Master System cartridges on the Game Gear...they can be had for a mere $10-15. Very cool, since I really don't ever want a Master System itself.

On another note, I also did something I said I would probably never do and bought an N64 system from EBGames.com...they were on sale for $15 w/ free shipping. Worth it for me just so I can play Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness and explore a few other titles (suggestions?)

secretvampire;

Here is a quick and dirty list of N64 games I highly recommend:

• Super Mario 64
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
  • Goldeneye 007
  • Blast Corps
  • F-Zero X
  • Mario Kart 64
  • Starfox 64
  • Super Smash Bros.
  • Rocket: Robot on Wheels

There's a whole bunch more I like, but I'll stop there since that will probably be enough to keep you busy for a while. Enjoy the N64!

Great suggestions guys, I really do appreciate it. I will keep my eyes out for some of these titles. Only one that is obsolete at this point is the Zelda games since I have (actually both of) the Gamecube compilation discs.

So Romier, as a fellow Castlevania fan...I know Castlevania 64 is a controversial topic...what do you think of it?

Blimey, it seems like weeks since I espoused the opinion that Super Mario 64 is the greatest game ever created, so I might as well mention it again.

I'd just love to try Sin And Punishment, but its a nightmare to find; it only got a fairly small Japanese release, and as a Treasure title the fanboys get carried away.

Originally posted by J.Fo@Feb 22 2004, 03:54 PM

secretvampire;

Here is a quick and dirty list of N64 games I highly recommend:

• Super Mario 64
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
  • Goldeneye 007
  • Blast Corps
  • F-Zero X
  • Mario Kart 64
  • Starfox 64
  • Super Smash Bros.
  • Rocket: Robot on Wheels

There's a whole bunch more I like, but I'll stop there since that will probably be enough to keep you busy for a while. Enjoy the N64!

I can't belive you forgot Perfect Dark J.Fo

Originally posted by Bobbio@Feb 23 2004, 04:17 PM

I can't belive you forgot Perfect Dark J.Fo

Beh. I figured I'd let someone else recommend that game (way to go, Romier!). At least I made sure to include Starfox, right? ;)

Speaking of Perfect Dark, I popped it in last week to give it a spin. One thing I noticed was the total time I've logged in playing it: over 76 hours! And that's in addition to the 23+ hours I've logged in on my player profile on the multi-player mode.

Yeah, I'd say I got my money's worth on that one. I wonder how much time I've spent playing Goldeneye?

(insert random joke about once every 76 hours being the framerate on Perfect Dark here)

I keep meaning to pick up Blast Corps at some point, along with Body Harvest, as they both look brilliant. Are they particularly complex? Only most of the few copies I've ever seen have been cart-only affairs.

Pick up Blast Corps even if it's a cart only. It is extremely simple to learn how to play, but a very challenging, and addictive game.

I really want to play Blast Corps again now, but I have neither the game nor the N64 anymore. Man, I've really learned my lesson about letting go of my consoles and favorite games. I vow to never let that happen again.

Carlos.

Originally posted by iainl@Feb 24 2004, 06:12 AM

I keep meaning to pick up Blast Corps at some point, along with Body Harvest, as they both look brilliant. Are they particularly complex? Only most of the few copies I've ever seen have been cart-only affairs.

First off, Blast Corps is... well... err... a blast! Don't worry so much about needing a manual, because they do walk you through the controls for each vehicle as you play it.

I have Body Harvest also, and I must admit, I'm not a big fan of it. While I do admire the ambition of the developers to create such an epic adventure title, I found much of it to be tedious, slow, and suffering from sloppy controls (particularly while on foot). It's too bad, because I think that it had the potential to be a truly amazing game. It just needed a little more polish to pull it off.

• 6 years later...

We had our 1st annual community garage sale last weekend and it turns out out neighbor a few blocks down had an N64 + games for sale.

For $40, I got the console, 2 controllers, and about 8 games including Donkey Kong 64 (which I have been dying to play again), Goldeneye, Paper Mario, Starfox, Mario Party 2 and a few other lesser titles.

I already bought Blast Corps for $5 on Ebay.

Carlos.