LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bryan

Online enabled baseball games

Damn you Americans and your postal service. I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive. I won't be playing online tonight as I have to go to work, but it is a 4 day weekend, so plenty of time to play ESPN Baseball...and to reflect on that religious stuff.

Originally posted by Bryan@Apr 8 2004, 12:57 PM

Any altercations, Kelley? :P

None, except that I felt like a bit odd holding Jem and the Holograms Seasons 1 and 2 DVD box set.....kept on looking around to see if I knew anybody :P

I'm definetely going to do some of the training before jumping online with this one, haven't played a baseball game since All Star on the Neo Geo :shock:

None, except that I felt like a bit odd holding Jem and the Holograms Seasons 1 and 2 DVD box set

You werent the only one. ;)

Guest Bryan

I'll be online around 4:15 pm ET for an hour or two if anyone cares to join me in a baseball game.

I changed my mind about not playing. I just got the game, so I'll be online at 4:15 as well or even right now.

XBL: Berserko

I should be picking this up tonight or tomorrow.

I have been busy the last few months with work and moving, but I'm finally caught up. So, I should be on often.

....if we play in any type of league or whatever, then I'll take the RANGERS, yes the TEXAS RANGERS :shock:

You'd better pick it up tonight, cause tomorrow is Good Friday. Unless you don't mind the extra day wait.

I just finished a few games with Bryan. It was great. It seems like there's too many errors in the game, though. Other than that, it was a fun game.

Guest Bryan

Had a great time as well, James. There aren't 1/10 as many options online, but the gameplay is solid and fun. We played our first 5 inning game telling each other what pitch was coming and both hit pretty well. It was much more challenging the second time around when I didn't know what pitch was coming. If you use the energy meter, however, your opponent can see how much effort you are putting into each pitch. Not very strategic... It dumps you back to the menu ala ESPN Football after the game, so get your goodbyes in early. I bet that will be patched soon.

My first game I picked the Yankees and played against the Pirates, I think the entire 9 innings I got 4 people on base. But what really hurt was the grand slam i gave up in the second inning.......final score was a lovely 7 to 0.

Basically I need to practice.

-I got to play Joel (Whooter) last night and we both enjoyed the game. I actually played a short unranked 4 inning game with one of the unwashed masses first to get the hang of playing, then Joel signed on. We both just threw in the game and learned the controls on the fly.

-How many people here just poped the game in and played and how many read the manual first? I'm just curious as I tend to always play new games first and then reference back to the manual later to see if I missed controls or suggestions.

-Over all the game was an enjoyable experience, but I must first point out one negative experience. Joel and I got disconnected twice, but it was a different disconnect experience than I've typically had with various Live game. I was hosting and we both got the disconnect messge, but we weren't disconnected at all. We were able to keep on talking and discussing what we thought might have happened. We can be sure what happened, but I have a strong belief of what might have been going on. Both times the game locked up and gave us the message we were going into a cut scene video. I suspect there is a bug in the game that I might have triggered. Both times when the game went to the cut scene I hit the A button to just pass through the scene quickly in order to speed up game play, and it to me appeared that the timing of me hitting the A botton and getting the disconnect message were somehow related.

-So did anyone else encounter the message and disconnect, or more over, did anyone have the the exact circumstances regarding the button pressing possibly causing the glitch?

-The game play was decent, although there seem to be a lot of controls. I just need more time to work with the controls and maybe tweak them to my liking,... if that's possible to do. ?

-The graphics were just fine for what the game needed to be. I'd love the game to be a graphical masterpiece, but I'm happy to have a game that doesn't insult my senses so long as it plays well online. The stadiums have a nice look to them and the players models are fine, with the exception of a few crossed eyed and a few spread eyed players. Note to developers, eye balls generally point directly toward what they are looking at and they tend to do it in unison. Here's a good example :roll: The game did seem to lack in some textures and details and I was wondering if anyone here knows if cutting textures and details allows for less issues with online gaming, or if they would have no effect on online gaming. If they don't effect online gaming I'd say that I'm then a bit disappointed, but if they do affect game play and that is the reason they mave have been pared down, then I would say I'm happy with what they've done.

-I felt the game play was solid. I enjoyed hitting, pitching and fielding. The pitching is easy to pick up, and I can see both hitting and fielding becoming comfortable with practice.

It seems like there's too many errors in the game, though.

-I noticed that there were a few errors, and although I enjoyed having them, I can see where one or two more errors in our games would have felt like too much. We were playing on Pro level, which level were you playing on? I figure that higher levels of play will balance out the errors,... we'll see.

-Over all I am very happy with the game and I think we are going to have a lot of fun playing this game online. I'll also be looking forward to next year's edition as I'd like to see improvements in the less critical aspects such as graphics and atmosphere. In closing I'd like to say, I was looking for a solid online baseball game that will keep my interest though out the baseball season, and I'm happy to say I feel we've got it. :tu:

Good review Joel. I still wish I never bought MVP because in my opinion its a masterpiece. Bryan said you can turn off the cut scenes but I'm not quite sure where you do that.

How long does a game take to play online?

How long does a game take to play online?

Good question Bruce,.. but since I had to quit and go to bed after the second disconnect I'm not quite sure. I will say that the game goes a whole lot quicker that I had imagined it would be. I'm happy with the pace, I can see playing more than one game in a row,... i.e. not too tedious or time consuming.

(Note, the game ran perfect online aside from the two disconnects, but I really don't thinnk those will be common, I just had crap luck and I think the few that could occur can be avoided by either 1. disabling the cut scenes and Bruce mentioned was possible, or 2. just not hitting the A button too quickly when a cut does happen. I tend to tap it rapidly when a cut starts in, and maybe a more subdued approach would be prudent.)

PS, what happened Bruce, I thought you were going to have this game and be online before me! :D

Originally posted by JTello@Apr 9 2004, 10:47 AM

PS, what happened Bruce, I thought you were going to have this game and be online before me! :D

I have it, just waiting to play one of you guys, not really interested in playing a 9 year old from Kentucky.

The live interface is discouraging as far as setting up a game and then checking your friends list to invite someone. You gonna be on tonight?

I'll be home around 3:30pm CST and would love to get in a game or two of ESPN Baseball before the wife gets home.

Got it. Played one game against the computer so far. Lost 6-4. Baserunning and fielding seem to be the two toughest things so far. I don't like the "point to the base and click X to advance" thing, and the "advance all" doesn't seem to work. Overall, pretty cool game though. Would love to play against any of you.

Played my first game online and it was great. Alot better feeling about this game online than offline. I think I'll keep MVP to play offline and use ESPN for the online experience. All they have to do is fix the clunky live interface and I'll be a happy man.

Sorry I missed your invite, Bruce - was in the middle of a game with some random guy. I think I pissed him off - I beat him 12-0.

Anybody been able to pull off a double switch? I haven't been able to do it, and think it might be a glitch. You can't pinch hit for the pitcher with a position player, and then keep that player in the game and place a new pitcher in a different spot in the lineup. The game always wants to keep the pitcher in the 9 spot, so I end up with a position player as a pitcher and a pitcher as a position player. This is frustrating since the double switch is a very useful tool in those close and late situations!

Let me know if anybody has any luck, I've tried everything and can't get it to work.

Guest Bryan

I haven't tried the double switch yet, but will give it a shot. I've been kicking Allen's ass the last few days and haven't needed to make too many changes. My third base coach had to go on the DL because he strained his shoulder waving runners in. :P

Originally posted by Bryan@Apr 12 2004, 12:31 PM

My third base coach had to go on the DL because he strained his shoulder waving runners in. :P

:lmfao: :lmfao: