LCVG

Recommended Anime Titles?

Cathartic

Hey all,

I've got a friend who is looking for some good anime films to watch. I've already suggested "Ninja Scroll" and "Ghost in the Shell" (which are the only two I know really well). I figured we must have a few anime fans here at LCVG -- would anyone know of any other solid flicks that I could recommend to him?

Thanks!

You want movies or series? I'll give movies for now.

Anything by Miyazaki is pretty safe for a good flick. I'd recommend Castle of Cagliostro (it's one of my top films of all time period, plus best car chase ever ;)) as a great "caper" flick. It's heartwarming and a lot of good fun. Spielburg loves it if that sways anybody :P.

Princess Mononoke is another good one in the same vein. Great action, and a very good environmental message that doesn't feel crammed down the throat.

I know a lot of people love Spirited Away, but I have to admit I'm not one of them. I'd suggest checking the other titles out first, myself, then moving on to it. I'm not a terribly antsy person but this one dragged for me personally. Just my two pence on that.

If he's more an action person, check out Cowboy Bebop: The Movie. Absolutely fabulous, unbelievably good music. There's a 26-ep series the movie is based on, but it's very continuity friendly, no previous CB experience required. The series itself is just as good as the film, if not better, I should add.

Metropolis is a good title. Low action, but stunning visuals. Not a great deal of plot and some people don't like the character designs, but it's a great think piece. The ending to this one gets me every time. It's not necessarily personally sad, just overwhelmingly sad. Hard to describe.

If you want a good 'mystery' title with giant robots, check out Patlabor: The Movie. It's slow moving, but a good climax and some nice moments. I'll shut up now ;).

Great suggestions! I particularly like seeing Cagliostro getting some love--one of my faves...

I would add "Perfect Blue" to the list. Kind of a creepy and surrealistic thriller with a style that is more "animated movie" than "anime", if you see what I'm saying. No spiky hair or big eyes (not that there's anything wrong with that), just a really well-done movie that happens to be (beautifully) animated. One warning, though, it has a few fairly graphic moments, both violence and a simulated rape scene. Nothing gruesome, but make sure the kiddies are in bed.

Bebop is also a personal favorite, as is "Trigun". Something about that "cowboys in space" idiom just clicks with me.

"Serial Experiments: Lain" is a four-disc series that most anime fans would rate as a must-see. Personally it was a little too surreal for me, but any fan of the genre should check it out.

One more quirky little series that I liked was "Key the Metal Idol". It's a three-disc series about a little girl robot who tries to become "real" before her batteries fail, and it has kind of a "Pinocchio" feel to it, only a bit darker.

So many great anime titles to check out...thank God for Netflix... :tu:

I second Miyazaki, especially Spirited Away. I liked Princess Mononoke okay, but Spirited Away was something really special to me. It has great bonus features, too.

The first Cowboy Bepop collection (Session 1, I belive) is good stuff. The last episode is fantastic.

I saw about half of Patlabor 2 and enjoyed what I saw. Been meaning to catch the rest of it.

And, although it isn't anime (but it is animated), I love the animated The Batman Superman Movie, made in 1998.

-j

Cowboy Bebop is awesome.

I'd also recommend The Animatrix, which is just stunning from beginning to end. Obviously, since the Wachowski brothers either wrote or approved each storyline, but they are a little different from other Anime, they are very worthy.

I definitely liked "Spirited Away" a lot. It's very dream-like and fantastical, it does move kind of slow, btu that didn't bother me.

I have a question for you Anime fans. How is Millenium Actress?

Some of my favorites:

Perfect Blue: If you ever wanted Hitchcock and anime to meld as one I would highly suggest watching this movie. Its equal parts errie and schizophrenic (with a dash of slasher movie) featuring the story of a pop star who wants to move into acting but is pushed to the brink of insanity by a stalker who's identity/reveal would make M. Night Shyamalan blush. Highly Recommended.

Blood: The Last Vampire: This one is a double edged sword. It feartures some of the best animation out there as well as showcasing the integration of tradional hand drawn animation with CGI rendering. The main character is great, the supporting characters are interesting and the music is excellent. Problem is the movie is only about 50 minutes long and therefor the story has a very truncated feel to it. Still holding to hope that a sequel is released ASAP.

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust: Castlevania the movie :D. Seriously though this one should be an easy purchase. Gorgeous animation, D is a bad ass, excellent story, D is a bad ass, supporting characters are as interesting and well developed, oh and D is a bad ass :green: .

As far as some series recommendations:

Trigun

Cowboy Bebop

Hellsing

Beserk (Sword of the Beserk)

"Serial Experiments: Lain" is a four-disc series that most anime fans would rate as a must-see. Personally it was a little too surreal for me, but any fan of the genre should check it out.

I love, love, love Serial Experiments: Lain. This is one of the best series for making you think, though it is a total head case for the entire thing. I heartily recommend watching it and then finding a site online that explains some of the nuances (like what happens to Lain's sister). Well, well worth it.

Trigun is a great series, ditto the Tenchi Muyo! OAVs.

The last episode is fantastic.

Yep, Ballad of Fallen Angels. My favorite half-hour of television ever. I watch that one episode all the time.

Oh, hey, Hellsing and Vampire Hunter D are also great.

Another amazing action title is Read Or Die (R.O.D.), which can be picked up on a single DVD (it's 3 oavs long). The main character is a bookworm with the power to control paper and it makes for some of the best fight scenes I've seen. Amazing animation too.

Wow, there are other fans of Lain here! 8) Brilliant series; got me really interested in anime...of course, there's nothing else like it.

Loved the Cowboy Bebop series & Miyazaki's stuff. Akira was the first anime movie that I remember really liking. I guess I'm also an anime beginner looking for more recommendations too.

of course, there's nothing else like it.

I've heard Boogiepop Phantom is quite similar to it. It's a horror-themed anime. I never watched it myself, but that's just a money thing.

If you liked Cowboy Bebop, Trigun is a good fit, though the first half is much goofier than the second half. But it's a good kind of goofy. Trigun has some of the most memorable character designs in any show I've seen. Hellsing is nice and grim, very gothic without being pretentious.

And assorted other stuff people have mentioned ;). I could list all the series I have, but I don't think it would be much use :P.

I really liked Millenium Actress, Ed. I'd definitely recommend giving it a watch. I rented it and watched it twice, back-to-back (would've bought it, but the stores around here :roll: ) .

Other ones that I enjoy are:

Princess Mononoke

Spirited Away

Castle in the Sky

Metropolis (I agree, Mark, the ending is fantastic)

The Animatrix

Jin-Roh (I think I might be the only one that likes this)

I didn't really care for the Cowboy Bebop movie, but I hadn't seen any of the series, so maybe that had something to do with it.

I can't believe no one has said Akira!!!

I'd recommend that.

If you don't mind classic anime, I would also recommend Space Battleship Yamato - or the dubbed US version - Star Blazers

Some awesome stuff to be seen there!

I would say any of the Go Nagai giant robot series - Grendizer, Brave Raideen, Danguard Ace,Gaiking, Getter Robo G, but that is old stuff & not for everyone...

I've been interested in picking up more anime for myself...

I just bought Princess Mononoke sight unseen and have been looking at these as possible buys:

Fruits Basket

Chobits

Ai Yori Aoshi

Boogiepop Phantom

Escaflowne

His and Her Cirumstances

Kiddy Grade

L/R

Love Hina

Najica

Noir

Please Teacher

Super Gals

X

and alot more I just cant think of right now. I've also always been a big Bubblegum Crisis fan, but have yet to watch BGC 2040. AND I'd like to check out more Sailor Moon, and there are some hentai titles I'd like to see, I saw most of Bible Black recently and liked it for the most part.

Has anyone seen any of these or have more recommendations?

Escaflowne is done by a lot of the same team behind Cowboy Bebop and though it's nothing like that series, it's bloody amazing. Especially if you like fantasy. You need to give it a couple episodes to really get going, but once it does it doesn't stop. It looks like a straightforward series, but there are some very interesting philosophical ideas mixed in there about fate that make it a good watch. Great action too. First whole series of anime I ever owned (and still own).

BGC 2040 is a really fun little series from what I've seen, though I've only got 4 of the 6 DVDs ;). Nice update on the original, though it's nothing amazing like, say, Cowboy Bebop, it's still a good solid watch for some action-adventure. The music is good too, though you can't touch the 80's j-pop of BGC. And Daley is no longer a super-flaming gay stereotype :P.

Originally posted by Pharmboy@Feb 23 2004, 09:36 PM

Escaflowne is done by a lot of the same team behind Cowboy Bebop and though it's nothing like that series, it's bloody amazing. Especially if you like fantasy. You need to give it a couple episodes to really get going, but once it does it doesn't stop. It looks like a straightforward series, but there are some very interesting philosophical ideas mixed in there about fate that make it a good watch. Great action too. First whole series of anime I ever owned (and still own).

BGC 2040 is a really fun little series from what I've seen, though I've only got 4 of the 6 DVDs ;). Nice update on the original, though it's nothing amazing like, say, Cowboy Bebop, it's still a good solid watch for some action-adventure. The music is good too, though you can't touch the 80's j-pop of BGC. And Daley is no longer a super-flaming gay stereotype :P.

I've heard nothing but great things about Escaflowne. I'll have to put that high on the list.

I have the first Cowboy Bebop DVD and while I liked it alot, I don't think I was into it as much as most were. I want to get the series, just haven't invested the money to do so.

Same with BGC 2040, I've watched the first DVD, loved it (something about girls and boomers that appeals to me ;) ) but I was just waiting to buy the BGC 2040 Perfect Collection one day.

I think Cowboy Bebop is a great series, but yeah, it does have a couple of problems. One thing I don't like is that the series is mostly episodic with very little change and only a handful of episodes that pertain to the larger story. The other thing I don't like is Ed, who seems really out of place in most of the stories. Luckily I can live with both these things and the more serious episodes feature very little Ed.

I think somebody would have to be extremely hard-hearted to watch through all of CB and not get a little moved at the end of Episode 24. The song that plays there is my favorite song ever. Real emotional stuff.

As for Escaflowne, only real problem some people have is the noses, but I never noticed them to be honest. That show is chock full of great moments, I seriously recommend it :).

Man, I am all over this thread today ;).

Really? I love Ed! The Japanese voice actress who does her (yes, for those who haven't seen it yet, "Edward" is a "her"...kinda...:)) does a really good job in my opinion. And the silly, zany nature of her episodes set off the much more serious episodes very well. It's that blend of goofiness and deadly serious action that makes the show so appealing to me.

Although I would be the first to agree that some episodes are definitely weaker than others...Heavy Metal Woman comes to mind, and that strange one with the mushrooms...

Another good anime is "Wings of Hommeamise", which is a story of a civilization's first halting steps into outer space. Very well done, and it has a unique look to it that I've never quite seen before.

and that strange one with the mushrooms

Heh, funny you should say that, 'cause Mushroom Samba is one of the episodes I quite like and it has Ed as the main focus to boot ;). I think the thing I like about that ep is that it's very, very obviously a heavy take-off on blaxploitation flicks and some of the jokes are just too funny. The guy hauling around the coffin always gets a laugh from me :).

Here are some of my favorites:

Inu Yasha

Urusei Yatsura

Chobits

Please Teacher

Strawberry Eggs

Lain

Urusei Yatsura

Oh My Goddess / Mini Goddess

Cowboy Bebop

DNA^2

FLCL

Love Hina

I do think Lain started better than it ended. I need to rewatch it, though.

Is Netflix catching up to GreenCine? I switched to GreenCine a while back because it had over three times the anime titles, including many that I like that Netflix did not carry at all.

The problem with Greencine is that they only operate out of San Fran, so shipping is slower. Other than that they are perfect.

Here are their anime titles.