LCVG

Do you pikachu ?

Chatakinns

My name is Chatakinns and I am a Pokeaddict.

It started when my next door neighbor began working the same shift I did ( midnights ) and when we got off work, everyone else was going to work, so we started hanging out in the mornings. He told me I had to watch this corny cartoon that had the coolest little yellow mouse in it.

The rest is a sad fast decline into Pokemania.

I have just about all of the games, and have started working on the DVD's. Both movies and TV series. Since I don't know anyone else who plays, and I refuse to haunt the gradeschool playgrounds at recess, I end up buying both colors, Red, Blue, Gold, Silver, Sapphire & Ruby so I can catch them all.

But what has been really neat, is watching the game as it has evolved over the years as the technology has become more advanced. You can breed pokemon, and specialize in what attacks and defenses you want them to have, you can plant trees and harvest berries, and of course you still fight other trainers and level up your pokemon.

I just pre-ordered Pokemon Colosseum today, and after reading the review on it, I am hoping it is everything they have promised. I hate the fact that retailers glutted the market with Poke merchandise. It was just too much.

The basic game just in itself, catching pokemon and raising them, can be a lot of fun and since I have so much time at work to waste, it keeps me occupied for weeks if not months. I do get a little tired of hearing :

" What are you playing ? Pokemon ? My little brother/sister/nephew/niece/son/daughter plays that. "

Then later the person comes to me for advice on the game so they can help little Timmy/Susie out if they get stuck.

What was the last pokemon game you played ? Did you play by yourself, or with someone to help them catch 'em all ? BTW, it is a great game for parents to play with their kids. Get some together time in there while getting them interested in gaming. :tu:

I have plenty of other addictions to small collectible cute-monster things...so I've managed to avoid the pokeaddiction.

But I did religiously play Pokemon Pinball for several months on my GBA, and I did feel the thrill of collecting pokemon. I think I have caught 190 out of 201 in the game, so I failed in my quest...at least for now.

I have to admit that I caught the Pokemon bug. It started when I was trying to help my son through his Pokemon Yellow game. The next day I bought myself Pokemon Sapphire and it has been down hill from there. The cool thing is that he now has Pokemon Ruby which has allowed us to help each other out by trading Pokemon.

I still can't watch the movies or the cartoons so I guess I'm not as hooked as others.

Originally posted by Chatakinns@Feb 27 2004, 08:46 AM

Some of those cute 'lil pocket monsters evolve into some pretty ugly mo-fo's IMHO.

Maybe you can solve a puzzle for me. I've only fleetingly caught episodes of the show, so I'm not too familiar with how it works. but in the pinball game some of the Pokemon seem to be able to evolve twice, is that true?

Yes. This is true.

Most of the Pokemon will evolve from their beginning form to a slightly more powerful form usually with a appearence change and then after so many level ups will evolve to their final form.

For example :

One of your starting pokemon in Red/Blue is :

Charmander

charmander.jpg

Which evolves into :

Chameleon

charmeleon.jpg

and the final evolution :

Charizard

charizard.jpg

Some pokemon never evolve, some only evolve 2 times, and some will only evolve if you do something special like trade or give it an item. ( I cannot believe I am actually explaining this :oops: )

Originally posted by gwhinwi@Feb 29 2004, 03:19 PM

You're all going to make me get this game... aren't you?

Just for arguments sake... if I do pick up Ruby, should I pick up Sapphire? Is it important to have both if you're just starting?

Glen

That depends. Do you want to play the game as it was intended and catch as many as you can ? The basics are the same in both versions. So .... it can get kind of repetitive after awhile. I do not know any one who plays, so I had to get both versions to get them all. I made it a little more fun by using my extra game as a breeding/desired move mad scientist kind of thing.

The other thing we could do is I can send you my copy of which ever color you don't buy and you can use it to get the ones you needed by trading. Since I use them as " time passers " I don't mind having to start over to get the rare ones again.

None of my games are " sharked " as I don't care for cheating, so anything you get from my game will not have any problems trading with yours.

While I am not going to jump up and down and shout that everyone should try the game, I will say that Ruby/Sapphire version has been the most entertaining for me. And the fact it is portable makes it very worth the money for me. Getting past the cuteness of the beginning forms of the pokemon to the evolved forms and attacks is pretty cool. And as I said before, it is a great way to get kids and parents together to enjoy some time spent playing video games.

I have actually become a Pokemon fan since meeting my girlfriend a year and a half ago. Her 5 year old loves Pokemon. We took him to see Heros last year and I really liked it. Now I watch Pokemon with him on the Cartoon Network and we rent the DVDs.

Now that I got a GBA SP, I'll be picking up Pokemon pinball very soon. For some reason, I never bought it for him for his Gameboy. Hopefully he wont want to borrow mine too often. :green:

-Dean-

Originally posted by RingWraith@Mar 1 2004, 09:49 AM

I have actually become a Pokemon fan since meeting my girlfriend a year and a half ago. Her 5 year old loves Pokemon. We took him to see Heros last year and I really liked it. Now I watch Pokemon with him on the Cartoon Network and we rent the DVDs.

Now that I got a GBA SP, I'll be picking up Pokemon pinball very soon. For some reason, I never bought it for him for his Gameboy. Hopefully he wont want to borrow mine too often. :green:

-Dean-

Other than the cartoons and movies, if you can stay away from the hype ( well, it has died down a lot recently ) it is actually pretty good. I own one of the cartoon segments on DVD that has Ash separated from the rest of his poke-posse and he gets lost on a mountain with only his pokemon with him. No supplies, no nothing. He knows he is in deep trouble and he tries his best to make his pokemon stay safe in their little pokeballs even knowing that he is prolly not going to make it through the night. ( it's really, really cold )

His pokemon show him that they are just as stubborn as he is, and they refuse to stay inside where it is safe and warm for them, and they all crowd around him and each other and keep each other warm during the night.

This is such a cool thing for kids to see. Caring for your friends the best you can, even if there is not much you can do, can be hard to explain in a way younger kids can understand. The thing I like about pokemon is it shows the determination of Ash to be the best trainer he can be, even though he makes mistakes and sometimes fails in what he tries. The message sent out to kids is not cluttered with junk. It is easy for them to grasp. And adults can enjoy a lot of the funny stuff going on.

I don't mean to stand on my pokebox and go on about the game & cartoons, but I have to admit, it is one of my fav games and one of my fav shows.

OMG if I had seen this post like a day earlier I probably would have bought a Pokemon game instead of Sword of Mana. GBA keeps my sanity intact at work as well lately especially stuff with random battles. I was really into Pokemon back when it was the "hot new thing those Japanese demons sent over to conquer the US" as my friends and relatives would tell me. My mom was sucked into Poke-itis after seeing Pikachu and she still watches the show occasionally. "back in da day" I bought the whole first season on VHS tapes (kinda sad actually now that I think about it) and my mother and I would watch them together. She was hopelessly addicted to Pokemon Snap on the N64 and I stuck mostly to the gameboy games "Blue", "Yellow", "Pinball", "Silver". Then it just sorta fell off the radar for me. Poke-overdose perhaps? Plus the new creatures I saw from "Sapphire" just were not as well designed and cool as the original sets plus the removal of Eevee and her evolutions deterred me from buying the game.

Eevee was so cool. I was sooo attached to mine and changed her into a Flareon in "Blue". In fact, my main eight Pokemon I was really attached to for some reason and would "talk" to them during battle. Ok so I have issues.

I recently bought a Pokemon and a Pikachu tshirt from Hot Topic and started wearing them to work. I get made fun of everytime I wear them and get weird stares but its worth it. :D

I hear "Red" and "Blue" are being remade for Gameboy Advance.... if so.... yeah I will probably buy one or the other (red this time?) and descend back into Pokemadness.. its a shame the tv show kinda "jumped the shark" after the second season or so. Then again maybe I'm just spoiled now by watching "real" anime. LOL I don't know.

That's my Poke-story and I'm sticking to it.