LCVG

Musicplasma.com: new time waster

Robot Monkey

http://www.musicplasma.com/

This is a neat website. You punch in an artist and then it gives you a visual map -- connecting the artist to similar artists in the genre and also era. I tested it on a ton of artists and the only one I didn't see in there is Jeffrey McFadden. Curiously, although classical composers aren't listed, they do have stand-up comedians.

It's funny putting in artists you don't like, too. I put in Warrant and it was surrounded by buttrock like Skid Row, Slaughter and Skid Row.

-j

Actually, I can almost see where they're going with Talk Talk. Its an odd choice, but not quite wrong.

Franz Ferdinand are rather good, catchy little guitar pop band from Scotland that owe a debt to The Undertones, early Blondie (in terms of guitar and drum texture, not that the lead bloke sounds like Debbie Harry or anything), The Fall and other post-punk stuff, though the Strokes comparisons aren't completely invalid either. Take Me Out and Darts Of Pleasure are the singles to start with.

Coincidentally, I was expecting Beefheart in amongst dEUS's links, but there you go. I know Zappa has the obvious link of them working together, but when apart they sounds very different; for a start, I've got most of Beefheart's stuff, and yet somehow can't get into Zappa at all.

All this moaning about the links: Fine no more links to neat sites from me!

Seriously, you all are right -- there are definite oddities, both in who is linked as well as who isn't linked.

I wonder if they use some engine to comb through a db like allmusic's "related artists?" Or amazon's "people also recommend?" Their links are all to amazon, but I don't know if that's just an effort to get revenue through link-throughs.

-j

Originally posted by Robot Monkey@Feb 26 2004, 02:49 PM

I wonder if they use some engine to comb through a db like allmusic's "related artists?" Or amazon's "people also recommend?"

Wouldn't surprise me at all. There are some pretty glaring omissions and some real leap of faith links. Also, check out someone like Norah Jones. Her circle was just huge, representing the supposed standard for her particular genre (I think Diana Krall fits is more representative IMO, she has a proven track record) where as you have a band like The Cure who is truly definitive of a genre with a relatively small globe. I'd almost be willing to bet it's tied to something like sales rankings at Amazon. Strange.

On a side note there are some classical composers in here, but it's limited to your big names like Mozart, Beethoven, and Brahms and they are linked to horrible things such as "Increase Your Kids IQ" and "All Time Greatest Wedding Favorites." Man, I hate that crap. It's too bad, a well done flow chart like this for classical would be amazingly cool.