LCVG

Battlefield Vietnam Preorder

exile

EA sent me a deal for BF Vietnam for $39. I'm curious if the other stores will have it for the same price locally(best buy etc). Anyone got a clue on this?

Then again if they really changed the engine enough in the game I'm pretty hosed as my Video Card(Geforce 3) doesn't care for the new games at all. I'm getting lousy frame rates and I can't upgrade for atleast 8 months.

Originally posted by gigapower+Feb 26 2004, 07:26 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (gigapower @ Feb 26 2004, 07:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Whooter@Feb 26 2004, 07:23 PM

Is this supposed to be any better than MoH:Rising Sun?

Joel, its Battlefield 1942 set in the Vietnam War. [/b]

Whoa, brain cramp or something.

I initially thought that's what it would be, but then I was sure I read that it was developed by 2015 (or the hollow shell of 2015, whichever you prefer)...

but then I was sure I read that it was developed by 2015 (or the hollow shell of 2015,

You're thinking of either:

Men of Honor or some other Vietnam-era game. :)

Battlefield Vietnam is the "sequel" to Battlefield 1942. 64 player online battles, with vehicles! I'm f'n psyched! I loved BF1942.

Originally posted by Ruffneck@Feb 26 2004, 08:25 PM

but then I was sure I read that it was developed by 2015 (or the hollow shell of 2015,

You're thinking of either:

Men of Honor or some other Vietnam-era game. :)

Battlefield Vietnam is the "sequel" to Battlefield 1942. 64 player online battles, with vehicles! I'm f'n psyched! I loved BF1942.

Men of Valor: Vietnam. That's what I must have been thinking of...

Ignore me.

Big, Dumb, Obvious question: When this month's Edge suggests that they've not done much to the engine, and have just created a bunch of jungle-themed levels, weapons and vehicles, is there anything causing you guys to be desperate for this rather than playing the free Vietnam mod for 1942 right now?

I'm not a big mod fan. I have tried many and always find myself going back to Vanilla BF. EoD is fun along with DC but I'm guessing I'll like the real game from EA...I really won't know until I try it but it will be interesting nonetheless.

And anyway, I'll need it to moderate the servers at Wolf. We'll be setting a server or two up for BF:Vietnam :)

Big, Dumb, Obvious question: When this month's Edge suggests that they've not done much to the engine, and have just created a bunch of jungle-themed levels, weapons and vehicles, is there anything causing you guys to be desperate for this rather than playing the free Vietnam mod for 1942 right now?

My understanding is the changed the engine(based on the site) and added several tweaks to it in order to bring the graphics more inline with today's games(shrubbery etc).

• 3 weeks later...

Well, both Gamespot and IGN have reviews up for BFV. Gamespot's review is more positive and IGN's review has the typical 'pick-it-apart' approach they have come to be known for, but over-all the game sounds decent.

The game apparently has a few mis-cues, none too big, and much like the BF 1942 they should easily be addressed in the first patch or two.

I'm looking forward to picking up this game, but I'm sure I'll continue playing BF 1942 often. :tu: BFV will make for a good change of pace, but I perfer the WWII theater over more recent conflicts such as Vietnam.

Haven't had a chance to play online yet, but I'm enjoying the "single player" so far. Sure I'm just firing on dumb 'bots, but damn the game looks good, and is fun.

I'd love to get a game going with a few LCVGers at some point. I suck at the game, so I'm a little scared of going out there and playing with people I don't know.

:lol:

I've been playing online since day 1. Its great, in desperate need of a patch (the American Universal soldier with an overpowered m60, Bazooka and sometimes health kit gets a little old - they really need to tone down the gun). I usually go VC since everyone wants to be american to try help keep the teams even. What I love is running around in the jungle on dark, dense maps like Ho Chi Minh Trail with my plantation knife in hand, ready to knife the unsuspecting n00b. The maps are great and I have seen some epic battles. If you have low fps issues there's some tweaks (adding a sound cache file in a folder seems to help) or changing from newer ati drivers back to 3.8's have done it for some. The tunnel system is great, its basicly a movaeble spawn and placing it in the right spot is key. Then move it once the frontlines change and when the enemy start clueing in that there's a tunnel nearby. Man, this game is great.

It will be hard to go back to regular BF after this.