LCVG

Upgrading from a 1.33 AMD Tbird to a 1700+XP?

exile

A friend of mine is basically giving me or close to it($50 or less) an XP1700+ processor. I have a 1.33ghz right now and as long as I flash my bios my Motherboard will accept the new processor. For gaming will I notice much of a difference?

FWIW the other parts are:

768 DDR 2100 Crucial Ram

Geforce 3

I can't afford to upgrade the Geforce for atleast 6 months so that part is out for now unless I can trade something to someone for a 9700/9800 pro :)

Just by upgrading the processor, will it make that much of a difference in this case?

If you see a difference it will be very minor. You're basically going from a 1.33GHz CPU to a 1.47GHz CPU. I believe the XP will have more cache, so you might notice things loading a bit faster, but nothing that's going to blow you away.

Also, you can buy a brand new XP 1700+ for between $45 to $60 nowadays.

Originally posted by iCamp@Feb 28 2004, 07:40 PM

I recently upgraded from a 1.4 Ghz Tbird to a 3.06 Ghz Pentium 4 and haven't exactly been "wowed" by the speed increase. Sure, it opens MS Office apps faster but render times in Vegas are remarkably similar. I knew I should have gone with the G5!!!

Its never too late Camp to right your wrong

Ok I upgraded. The performance difference is unnoticeable but I had a couple oddities.

Flashing the bios made my processor run COOLER by about 8 degrees. Then when I swapped processors, the new fun + the new bios made it run about 14 degrees cooler and the fan is dead quiet.

HUGE improvement for that.