LCVG

Official Mario Golf Discussion/Review Thread

Mark E

Well, we might as well get down to business. We all know that some people are going to be picking up Mario Golf in the next couple of days so I figured there should be a nice official thread to discuss.

I haven't played the first one so I'm waiting for reviews from here and around before I pick the game up, but it does sound fun. The only place that has anything thus far is Planet GameCube (and their ungodly pop-ups) with a quick set of impressions.

Let us know what you think about getting Mario and Peach through the courses with as few strokes as possible! :wink:

Yes, yes, opinions please! I too have no prior experience with the series, although I have played Hot Shots (which is from the same dev team, if I heard correctly).

Anyone get it yet?

EDIT: One specific thing I'm curious about is if the graphics are any smoother than HSG, because in that game the fine texture of the grass is really a sparkle-fest due to aliasing. It doesn't make the game bad, but it's a bit distracting.

Picked this up, wish I had more people around right now for match play, but I haven't done anything yet except listen to Toad explain golf to me for thirty minutes. Very thorough tutorials though.

I'll post more after I actually play, which will be a while since I'm heading for the gym right now then it's Amazing Race after. Will say this though, there are some gorgeous holes from what I've seen so far, and one in particular is surrounded by waterfalls that just looks awesome.

The intro is awesome too, there's a rather amusing cameo from Super Mario World that's good for a laugh. Keep in mind whenever I say something about the game that this is the first golf game I've bought since Mini-Putt by Accolade ;).

Sweet merciful crap. This may be arcade golf, but it just goes to show how bad I am at every golf game ever made. I dove into tournament mode last night and got completely clobbered, shooting a pathetic 6+.

At this level of skill it'll take me over a month to unlock all the courses :oops:. The worst of it is, I lose every hole on the putting green, which has also plagued me in every golf game I've played. I envy the majority who are finding this game easy to pick up and play :P.

The victory animations are rather amusing though, varying from the pelvic thrust of the Koopa Troopa to Wario's ass spanking.

I've only had time to play a quick 9 holes, but the game is fun. I've always enjoyed the Hot Shots games, and this fits right in.

The putting is difficult - you're right about that. Many of the greens are quite sloped, making it tough to line up a shot.

I've no doubt that this game will be fun with a group of pals.

I will also be purchasing Links 2004, so I am definitely biased towards any quality golf game.

Me too, I really liked Toger Woods 2003, in fact after playing it for a while I swore I'd never go back to a 'button-pressing-meter' golf game. But now I'm feeling the urge to revisit that tried-and-true style even if it's not as 'pure' as the analog stick thing.

And the fantasy-land visuals in the Mario game are also appealing, as opposed to the hardcore realism of other golf games...

Thanks for the replies!

Is it different enough from Hot Shots that won't feel like a continuation of it?

Not that I'm trying to dodge the question Ed, but I really haven't had enough time with the game to answer that.

Without a doubt, it has that "Mario touch". I didn't play the Hot Shots game on PS2 for hours upon hours (I did play the original that way though) so Mario golf may feel 'fresher' to me than people who play Hot Shots on PS2 for a significant amount of time.

When I get the chance to play 18 holes on various courses with some pals I'll have a much more informed opinion.

Multi-player in this is the bomb. My girlfriend, who normally engages in heavy reading activities while I game, actually wanted to play golf tonight and we played three courses worth of games. What an absolute blast. Worst part was, she clobbered me utterly when we played our last game where players compete to win X number of holes. That mode's awesome for competition.

Very impressed so far, the courses have been getting better and better as I go on. The fourth course feels way more like a mini-golf course than a regular game though.

Oh, great music plays when you end up in Sudden Death btw ;).

The 5th course you unlock for tournament play/regular play is awesome, it's frustrating as hell! It's like miniature golf on a regular length course. And if you want an amusing cameo appearance, shoot your ball through one of the many flower beds lining the area ;).

Jordan, I have to say yes, the courses do get much more interesting. The sand course is ok, the one after it is very nice, then you start getting the nutty fun courses. The fifth one is a hoot. I got clobbered trying to do the third and fourth courses, but keep in mind I'm a lousy golfer.

If you can round up other people to play it's also a help.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm quite curious about this game. It's not as if I need to add yet another title to my queue, but it looks appealing.

What concerns me, though, is that I've never been a fan of golf. I tried to play through Monkey Golf in Super Monkey Ball 2, but got bored. On the other hand, however, I love a good mini-golf game. This one sounds just arcadey enough that I might enjoy it.

What is the opinion of the LCVG hive-mind in this regard? Can a game lover who is no fan of golf get his money's worth out of this title? Is it at least worth renting?

Rent. I don't like golf games (besides SimGolf, whole other kettle of fish though) but this one was a lot of fun. I haven't finished unlocking stuff yet either. For me though, multiplayer made this good. I mentioned before my gf and I were playing it, and we still are, we play a couple times a week and since it's the only gaming we do together I consider it way valuable time.

Very, very pleased.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I was gettin' all confident in my skillz and then I unlocked the Blooper course. I only mustered a +6 on it! Some of those bunkers are pure hell, you have to hit backwards to get out.

Maybe tonight I'll be able to lower my score and unlock the next course. This is definitely a serious golf game.

BTW, I'm not sure this is documented, but if you hit B then A at the end (on manual) it will do a super-topspin shot. I haven't tried it yet, but it makes me think that there might be a super-backspin shot too, which i assume would be B then A.

EDIT: Oh, one thing I haven't figured out: Let's say you're setting up for a shot and your simulation line ends with 200yds. I use the R button to pull back a bit so I see how much power I need to hit 190yds. If I line up the end of the simulation line to say 190yds, the marker in the meter doesn't say the same thing, it will say something like 197yds. Why are the numbers (on the meter vs the simulation line) always different?

Originally posted by Bryan_ZZ@Sep 5 2003, 09:47 AM

I believe the number on the meter represents the maximum distance you can hit the ball with that club. Try changing the club and see if the number moves in corresponding fashion.

Hmm, I don't think that's it. I'm talking about the yellow marker on the meter. You adjust it with the L & R buttons...IIRC the R button moves it toward you (at the start you can't even use the L because it defaults to hitting the max distance for the club) indicating where you need to stop the power meter to get the ball that far. As you adjust, your simulation line moves to reflect the change...but the numbers that show at the end of the simulation line (your star) and the number in the meter don't match, which is confusing...

Does this make sense?

Maybe tonight I'll be able to lower my score and unlock the next course.

Ed, if you're feeling particularly sneaky, you can save after every shot and then reset each hole until you finish to insure you get a low score. I've, uh, had to do that a couple of times to unlock the higher level courses (Peach's Castle Grounds are maddening otherwise, frankly). Not for the OYH tourney of course ;).

My advice to figure out what the hell using L and R to adjust the clicky thing actually does (and no, I don't know either so if you find out Bryan that rocks) is to play a multiplayer game by yourself and give yourself the option that will tell you EXACTLY where the ball is going to land, account for wind and everything else. That should help deduce how it really works.

Hmm, interesting strategy Mark. If I get too frustrated I might do this. And I thought I was being bad by occasionally using auto-shots in particularly tough positions. The worst is when you're in a sand-trap and you have you have about 1/8" on your power meter, as if you're going to time your taps down to the millisecond!

The L and R 'clicky' thing, according to the manual (which i brought with me to read on the train this morning), page 16:

If you cant find a club in your bag with the exact distance you want, use L and R to adjust the range marker above the power meter. Use this as a target to time your swing for shorter distances

I understand what it's for, and it's a nice feature. But the discrepancy between the yardage in the marker and the yardage out on the course, where your star is, is what's confusing me.

I didn't realize that you could get an exact trajectory with wind and everything included..that sounds like a great way to figure this out, thanks!